FA Cup Quarter Final - Away Spurs/Stevenage

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: FA Cup Quarter Final - Away Spurs/Stevenage

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:42 pm

Salford Trotter wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Salford Trotter wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Salford Trotter wrote:I'll be watching this in The Cock in Worsley
I'll have to check in my local whether they get ESPN, if not I might be joining you.
the more the merrier, where's your local Worthy?
Yew Tree on Bridgewater Road.
oh that's the one with the easy pub quiz :wink:
Aye - won it on me tod last time I did it.

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:47 pm

the more the merrier, where's your local Worthy?[/quote]

Yew Tree on Bridgewater Road.[/quote]

oh that's the one with the easy pub quiz :wink:[/quote]

Aye - won it on me tod last time I did it.[/quote]
a couple of acquaintances are regular winners too
The Voice Of Reason

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:53 pm

Salford Trotter wrote:the more the merrier, where's your local Worthy?
Yew Tree on Bridgewater Road.[/quote]

oh that's the one with the easy pub quiz :wink:[/quote]

Aye - won it on me tod last time I did it.[/quote]
a couple of acquaintances are regular winners too[/quote]

I don't get in often midweek. Not sure the quiz is still on, as it's just changed hands.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:15 pm

Want it over in one match
Let him get it out of his system
44 feck* 2
bogdan
steinson
alonso
wheater (unless he is risking a ban)
ream
muamba
nrc
ryo
eagles/petrov
ngog
klasnic

only problem is - who to bring off the bench.

LiOC
Reliable
Reliable

Post by LiOC » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:39 pm

TTID wrote:Quite a bit of your allocation came back today.

3 blocks worth I think although I am not sure how many numbers that equates to.

Not trying to score points or anything just passing on the info.
Stupid kick off time, short notice of who we're playing, long trip and very expensive.

I'm not going purely because if we do as expected I'll have spent £60+ to see us get a thrashing by your lot and if we win, I'll have spent £60+ quid that I'll need to save for Wembley.

Wonderwanderer12
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Wonderwanderer12 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:40 am

3rd:Spurs - 53pts /4th:Arsenal - 52pts /5th:Chelsea - 49pts

Spurs are going to play against Chelsea this month. Now that they have to fight hard for 4th place(for CL) while we have to fight hard to stay up, they might rest some of their best players this weekend, and we have higher chance to win this game. Anyway, I wonder we should rest some of our best players too or not.

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:22 am

Wonderwanderer12 wrote:3rd:Spurs - 53pts /4th:Arsenal - 52pts /5th:Chelsea - 49pts

Spurs are going to play against Chelsea this month. Now that they have to fight hard for 4th place(for CL) while we have to fight hard to stay up, they might rest some of their best players this weekend, and we have higher chance to win this game. Anyway, I wonder we should rest some of our best players too or not.
I still don't get this 'resting your best players' bit. We have two aims this season, to retain our EPL status and to win the FA Cup therefore we should field our strongest team in both competitions. We all know that professional footballers are highly tuned individuals that require careful handling but if they can't play 90 mins once or twice a week then summat is up. If you have a midweek game just give them light training (if any) in the days prior to the game.
The Voice Of Reason

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:28 am

Salford Trotter wrote:
Wonderwanderer12 wrote:3rd:Spurs - 53pts /4th:Arsenal - 52pts /5th:Chelsea - 49pts

I still don't get this 'resting your best players' bit. We have two aims this season, to retain our EPL status and to win the FA Cup therefore we should field our strongest team in both competitions. We all know that professional footballers are highly tuned individuals that require careful handling but if they can't play 90 mins once or twice a week then summat is up. If you have a midweek game just give them light training (if any) in the days prior to the game.
They clearly can. But the stats produced by the likes of Allardyce's backroom team and many others suggest that if they do performances will dip. And if you ally that dip in performance against teams who haven't played as many games, then you end up with a problem. That is compounded for a team like ourselves who are likely to not have the lions share of posession against Spurs or Villa and even maybe Blackburn. So we'll have to work harder than the other sides to get a result.

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:42 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Salford Trotter wrote:

They clearly can. But the stats produced by the likes of Allardyce's backroom team and many others suggest that if they do performances will dip. And if you ally that dip in performance against teams who haven't played as many games, then you end up with a problem. That is compounded for a team like ourselves who are likely to not have the lions share of posession against Spurs or Villa and even maybe Blackburn. So we'll have to work harder than the other sides to get a result.
I'm still not convinced, your logic (and Allardyce's it would seem) would have you putting out a completely, or least a much changed team, for all EPL games on those weeks where we have two games which we simply don't do. The odd change where the player is carrying an injury maybe but not wholesale changes
The Voice Of Reason

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:54 am

Salford Trotter wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Salford Trotter wrote:

I'm still not convinced, your logic (and Allardyce's it would seem) would have you putting out a completely, or least a much changed team, for all EPL games on those weeks where we have two games which we simply don't do. The odd change where the player is carrying an injury maybe but not wholesale changes
I suppose the difference is that the teams you're playing usually have the same fixture load in those cases, so it tends to even itself out to an extent.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:55 am

Worthy4England wrote:
I'll have to check in my local whether they get ESPN, if not I might be joining you.
It'll be on in't Boundary
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:05 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
TTID wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:
Howard Webb will referee Spurs v Bolton in 6th round of the FA Cup.
Thats at least a one goal start for you chaps then!
Get your facts straight.
Webb refeering means the home side (especially a "big club" *snigger*) like Spurs, will get all the decisions, and we will get absolutely nowt, as per usual.
Go on then, as you mention facts: where's your evidence?

Webb is a high-profile referee and therefore it follows, via the tortured brains of football fans, that everyone thinks he hates their team. (Witness the posts above.) The clinching example of this was a recent comment by a Man U fan I know who is otherwise well-balanced, intelligent, witty and a good writer, claiming that Howard Webb hates Man U. That's right, Howard Webb. The guy who was Photoshopped into a Man U shirt, leading to disciplinary doo-doo for Ryan Babel. That Howard Webb.

Here are some facts about him, from a newspaper, which has done some research.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:08 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Webb is a high-profile referee and therefore it follows, via the tortured brains of football fans, that everyone thinks he hates their team.
Yeah but he genuinely does hate Bolton......
Businesswoman of the year.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:12 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Webb is a high-profile referee and therefore it follows, via the tortured brains of football fans, that everyone thinks he hates their team. (Witness the posts above.)

we can add it to the...

we're always last on MOTD
Lawro hates us
We always give misfiring strikers a goal
other clubs' losing runs always end against us

universal myths!

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by The Axman » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:14 pm

The Telegraph? Investigative journalism? At least they probably didn't hack into his phone.

Here's some research from the Grauniad...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012 ... elli-agent

:wink:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:56 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
It'll be on in't Boundary
Ta, might save a walk. :-)

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:09 pm

Just bought london-based daughter and her fella tickets for this game... Will not be going myself... will be avoiding... Expecting the very worst...

TTID
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by TTID » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:16 am

Still plenty of availabilty in the home sections....
I don't want to start any blasphemous rumours but i think that God's got a sick sense of humour and when i die i expect to find him laughing

Wonderwanderer12
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Wonderwanderer12 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:34 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUlMx_5j ... re=channel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFdRDqj_ ... AAAAAAAFAA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF4YjXsg ... re=channel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Relentless09 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:05 am

Wonderwanderer12 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUlMx_5j ... re=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFdRDqj_ ... AAAAAAAFAA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF4YjXsg ... re=channel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On video 3 Coyle and SKD know their stuff, maybe they do football quizzes in training