Back in the day.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Back in the day.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:15 pm

The Axeman opts for remminiscance when men were men.

http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/bolton/when-i-was-a-lad" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bettyrasta
Promising
Promising

Re: Back in the day.

Post by bettyrasta » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:29 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:The Axeman opts for remminiscance when men were men.

http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/bolton/when-i-was-a-lad" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Very interesting reminiscences. Also seems strange now when seeing older games that passbacks to keepers were gathered into the loving arms of keepers (goalies) to take as long as they wanted as long as they didn't run 4 (?) steps. Offside was easier as well back then.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:13 pm

I certainly remember those days, Ax, and the concussion inducing headers. We even tended to kick with the toe, with its nice toecap, rather than the instep which hurt a lot with a wet ball.
And even more amazingly, when I was a lad, football games were played without substitutes. If a player got injured that was that, he either played on in pain or he left the field of play and his team continued with fewer players than the other side had.
I'm still a bit bitter about the '53 Cup final. Eric Bell tore a hamstring (we were told broken leg at the time which I suppose it was in general terms). He played on and even scored a header to put us up 3-1. The problem was that his job as half back was to mark Stanley Matthews, and he couldn't do it after the injury. Hence the Matthews final, though Sir Stanley had been pretty anonymous until Bell got hurt. I even think we would have been better off with ten men, with an inside forward dropping back to the half back role, rather than letting poor Eric struggle. I have no doubt that but for the injury and/or the no substitute rule, we would have won that day.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:21 am

I've never understood how it became the Matthews Final. I would have been a bit pissed off if I was Stan Mortensen.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:44 am

Nice piece. However, I have a bone to pick:
Each number represented something specific and designated whether you were a defender or an attacker. The Numbers 2 through to 5 were encouraged to block and tackle. Numbers 6 through to 11 were urged to score.
I'm sorry, but a no.6 in my mind is a centre half and a number 4 is a midfielder. Or is this a more modern deployment?
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Bruno3
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Bruno3 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:29 am

2 and 3 were full backs. 5 was centre half. 4 and 6 were half backs. 7 amd 11 were wingers. 9 was centre forward. 8 and 10 were inside forwards.
4 an 6 played ahead of the back three. 4 linked up with 7 and 8. 6 linked up with 10 and 11. Or at least that was the theory.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:57 am

Bruno3 wrote:2 and 3 were full backs. 5 was centre half. 4 and 6 were half backs. 7 amd 11 were wingers. 9 was centre forward. 8 and 10 were inside forwards.
4 an 6 played ahead of the back three. 4 linked up with 7 and 8. 6 linked up with 10 and 11. Or at least that was the theory.
... & the centre-half never, EVER came past the half-way line except for corners. Ever.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:01 am

So, what you're essentially saying is...

they even knew back then that you shouldn't play 4-4-2?
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by The Axman » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:08 am

Bruno3 wrote:2 and 3 were full backs. 5 was centre half. 4 and 6 were half backs. 7 amd 11 were wingers. 9 was centre forward. 8 and 10 were inside forwards.
Succinctly explained... ta. (I should have put 2 to 6 and 7 to 11 :oops: )

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by The Axman » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:09 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:I certainly remember those days, Ax, and the concussion inducing headers. We even tended to kick with the toe, with its nice toecap, rather than the instep which hurt a lot with a wet ball.
And even more amazingly, when I was a lad, football games were played without substitutes. If a player got injured that was that, he either played on in pain or he left the field of play and his team continued with fewer players than the other side had.
I'm still a bit bitter about the '53 Cup final. Eric Bell tore a hamstring (we were told broken leg at the time which I suppose it was in general terms). He played on and even scored a header to put us up 3-1. The problem was that his job as half back was to mark Stanley Matthews, and he couldn't do it after the injury. Hence the Matthews final, though Sir Stanley had been pretty anonymous until Bell got hurt. I even think we would have been better off with ten men, with an inside forward dropping back to the half back role, rather than letting poor Eric struggle. I have no doubt that but for the injury and/or the no substitute rule, we would have won that day.
I love it... controversy still rages after 59 years of hurt. 8)

Bruno3
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Bruno3 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:28 am

The Axman wrote:

Or alternatively, as we used to do at school "SPREAD OUT"

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by The Axman » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:39 am

:D

Passionate
Passionate

Post by 2399 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:21 am

I've got this match on DVD

Bought when my partner hinted she would go for Blackpool.

She doesn't anymore

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:27 am

Bruno3 wrote:
The Axman wrote:

Playing a flying keeper would have covered it too?

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by The Axman » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:41 am

2399 wrote:I've got this match on DVD

She doesn't anymore
What, the "Stanley Matthews" 1953 Cup Final between Bolton and Blackpool, on DVD? I had no idea that the entire match was even on film, never mind digital stuff. Have they got close ups and slow motion replays and different camera angles when twenty men hauled the three and a half ton camera mounted flatbed cart between the halfway line and the corner flag? And has it got original commentary by some geezer with a plummy Bay Bay Say accent and a toothbrush moustache? "I say, and Stanley Mortensen scores directlay from a free keck to claim his het-trick, wizard"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:59 am

Is exactly the way it was. Full backs marked wingers, Centre halves marked centre forwards and wing halves marked the inside forwards. Defenders rarely ventures beyond the half way line and full-backs adopted early versions of sweepers by sweeping wingers into the hoardings at every opportunity. Getting " out of position" resulted in severe bolloxings in school teams and a defender scoring was even rarer than anyone left-footed (which guaranteed automatic selection whether you were any good or not).
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:09 pm

The Axman wrote:

She doesn't anymore
What, the "Stanley Matthews" 1953 Cup Final between Bolton and Blackpool, on DVD? I had no idea that the entire match was even on film, never mind digital stuff. Have they got close ups and slow motion replays and different camera angles when twenty men hauled the three and a half ton camera mounted flatbed cart between the halfway line and the corner flag? And has it got original commentary by some geezer with a plummy Bay Bay Say accent and a toothbrush moustache? "I say, and Stanley Mortensen scores directlay from a free keck to claim his het-trick, wizard"
Was just watching the 1958 final (same series of DVDs) the other day. I thought the commentator was biased, even back then :D Seeing the opposing players run to get the ball for a throw-in was quite odd, although it looks like we want to win more because we seem to be slightly less courteous.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Bruno3
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Bruno3 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:11 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:
Bruno3 wrote:
The Axman wrote:

Playing a flying keeper would have covered it too?
The keeper was usually the fat kid who couldn't run so "flying" didn't come into it

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by The Axman » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:20 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Is exactly the way it was. Full backs marked wingers, Centre halves marked centre forwards and wing halves marked the inside forwards. Defenders rarely ventures beyond the half way line and full-backs adopted early versions of sweepers by sweeping wingers into the hoardings at every opportunity. Getting " out of position" resulted in severe bolloxings in school teams and a defender scoring was even rarer than anyone left-footed (which guaranteed automatic selection whether you were any good or not).
I remember asking my PE teacher if I could try playing a "free role" up front "in the manner of Pele". No verbal answer, he just backhanded me across the lughole and never picked me for a game again, all my 'outside' PE lessons after that were taken up with cross country. What made it worse was because the week before I'd accidentally, in my haste to get his attention about something, called him "Dad"! :oops: You cannot imagine the intense barracking I got from the rest of the boys, embarrassing doesn't even start to cover it. So I never knew if he exiled me because a) I was an embarrassment, b) I couldn't actually play football very well, c) I'd got ideas above my station, or d) because he didn't think much of me wanting to be like Pele (there was a lot of casual racist stuff about back then, quite casual stuff, everybody at school was white, no ethnic minorities at all. The closest we had to an ethnic minority was a white kid who'd moved into the area from Newcastle - he was treated like an Alien).

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by The Axman » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:55 pm

The Axman wrote:

She doesn't anymore
£4.99 on Amazon. 6 left in stock. Cheers 2399 :pissed: