Marvin Sordell

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Marvin Sordell

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:14 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Playing in deeper central midfield, Mark Davies is diligent but he really isn't a tackler. Out wide, he's too isolated and struggles to combine the attacking need to get involved with the defensive necessity to help his full-back. He's much better, the best we have, as the most attacking member of a three-man central midfield.

At the moment that role seems to belong to Pratley, who played the first half v Fulham and 82 minutes at Newcastle. That level of exposure when playing two games in three days indicates that unlike this site's armchair quarterbacks (including me), the manager doesn't appear to believe Tuncay can play that position, even when we're forced to play Mavies deeper due to the absence of Holden and Muamba.

In Easter extremis, Coyle still didn't trust Tuncay. There must be a reason for that. We'll have to guess in the absence of an explanation (understandable, considering it would presumably either be "He's not good enough" or "I don't like him", either of which would provoke howls of derision from the man-management experts).

In his absence, he's become the new Andranik Pele.
Yeah agreed, though I don't think there is anyone screaming for his inclusion ala Andranik.....just puzzlement over his complete and utter exclusion.

As you say there will be reasons.

Can see why a young lad isn't being picked. But an experienced head like Tuncay you can only imagine would add something. I suggest it probably means that for whatever reason his head is not in the right place, bit like Steinssons for 6 months or so during the breakdown of his marriage.
I wasn't on BWFC boards around the time of Andranik (pre-smoking ban, or around the time it happened, which seems a long time ago). Wow!

Don't know what wages Tuncay is on but you'd expect it'd be £2M a year or so.

Armchair Quarterback.. is it possible to change usernames on here? :D
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:55 pm

Tuncs has over 350 appearances at club level and 80 International caps, scoring in 22 of those.

You'd think he could offer us something.

Then again, Captain Confusion is pulling the strings & despite doing an admirable job over the Muamba issue he's no more a competant manager for all that.

There'll be a reason, Jim, but not as we know it.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:28 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Playing in deeper central midfield, Mark Davies is diligent but he really isn't a tackler. Out wide, he's too isolated and struggles to combine the attacking need to get involved with the defensive necessity to help his full-back. He's much better, the best we have, as the most attacking member of a three-man central midfield.

At the moment that role seems to belong to Pratley, who played the first half v Fulham and 82 minutes at Newcastle. That level of exposure when playing two games in three days indicates that unlike this site's armchair quarterbacks (including me), the manager doesn't appear to believe Tuncay can play that position, even when we're forced to play Mavies deeper due to the absence of Holden and Muamba.

In Easter extremis, Coyle still didn't trust Tuncay. There must be a reason for that. We'll have to guess in the absence of an explanation (understandable, considering it would presumably either be "He's not good enough" or "I don't like him", either of which would provoke howls of derision from the man-management experts).

In his absence, he's become the new Andranik Pele.
It is baffling.I dont agree with Boris re Mavis(he has one strong suit,running on the ball and one effective position behind the striker) so playing him deeper to accomodate Pratley makes him less effective. I dont think Mavis has a great engine so for me I'd rather see him alternating with Tuncay and or Pratley in the more advanced role and not necessarily for 90 mins. However if Vela is too young,S Davis too injured, Pratley too limited,Ream too it would mean Knight playing, then I suppose there is no alternative.

Tuncay could/should still be used as an alternative to Pratley whether starting or as a sub. Again I dont agree with Boris. Tuncay has worked hard, looked fit and looked sparky/creative in the brief spells I've seen him particularly when he has come off the right wing and played behind the striker which he seems instinctively to want to do.He has far more versatility than the 3 forward players on the bench on Monday so having those three there ahead of him makes no sense at all. Youre only realistically going to use two of them.I suppose you could argue Ryo can cover the same positions but it commits you to keeping both wide men on.

Bottom line is I see no point having NGog as a sub. He wont change a game,Tuncay to me has always looked like he could at least create something and we're crying out for that.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:32 pm

For me Mark Davies doesnt score enough to play behind a striker either. He is 23 I think so really time he stepped up to the plate.

Having said that I thibk Coyle is wrong playing pratley further in front. Mark Davies is better than pratley there and we should play to his strengths not Pratleys.

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Gail Platz » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:45 pm

Sordell must be buzzing for another season in the Championship!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:46 pm

we might sell him to cardiff if they come up!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:06 pm

officer_dibble wrote:For me Mark Davies doesnt score enough to play behind a striker either. He is 23 I think so really time he stepped up to the plate.

Having said that I thibk Coyle is wrong playing pratley further in front. Mark Davies is better than pratley there and we should play to his strengths not Pratleys.
I think you're probably correct in that Mavis is better further forward (and better than Pratley further forward). But if we put Mavies further forward, who plays in the more defensive role? Pratley certainly can't.

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:23 pm

All this talk of N'Gog being crap in other threads, I just wish we tried Tuncay up top in a cup game earlier rather than leaving him isolated out wide. I don't get where this notion of him being a midfielder has come from. I always remembered him being a striker at Boro and games I've seen him play for Turkey.

In any case, I hope the Elmander naysayers realise what we're missing up there now.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:25 pm

vela or summat
not arsed really now there isnt an option at all that seems like the answer

we miss fab
we miss stu
:(

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:33 pm

We miss Lee.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

lovethesmellofnapalm
Reliable
Reliable

Post by lovethesmellofnapalm » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:35 pm

we miss Megson
"A child of five would understand this- send someone to fetch a child of five"

wanderers_on_tour
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by wanderers_on_tour » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:35 pm

Dr.Karl wrote:All this talk of N'Gog being crap in other threads, I just wish we tried Tuncay up top in a cup game earlier rather than leaving him isolated out wide. I don't get where this notion of him being a midfielder has come from. I always remembered him being a striker at Boro and games I've seen him play for Turkey.

In any case, I hope the Elmander naysayers realise what we're missing up there now.
We've replaced one striker who doesn't score but tries very hard for another IMO, am sure N'Gog too will start scoring with 7/8 months left on his contract...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:36 pm

We miss tactics, formation and remotely competent signings too.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:38 pm

Can't miss what we never had.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:41 pm

Ahhh good, I thought you'd never recognise that it's not been in evidence much.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:29 pm

I have less faith that you'll understand how much shit this club was left in by the previous regime.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:43 am

wanderers_on_tour wrote:
Dr.Karl wrote:All this talk of N'Gog being crap in other threads, I just wish we tried Tuncay up top in a cup game earlier rather than leaving him isolated out wide. I don't get where this notion of him being a midfielder has come from. I always remembered him being a striker at Boro and games I've seen him play for Turkey.

We've replaced one striker who doesn't score but tries very hard for another IMO, am sure N'Gog too will start scoring with 7/8 months left on his contract...
Come on, Elmander was a quality international player, he may have only come good later in his Bolton career but that doesn't take away from his ability.

How many did he get last season? He'd be in the current team every week. And is a big miss irrespective of how and why he left.....

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:01 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Come on, Elmander was a quality international player, he may have only come good later in his Bolton career but that doesn't take away from his ability.

How many did he get last season? He'd be in the current team every week. And is a big miss irrespective of how and why he left.....

Elmander got a load from the workrate and deliveries of Holden and Lee. We don't have those luxuries this year so I doubt Elmo would've got a good amount this year. As I stands I reckon he'd've been sitting on a two year deal and sulking in the team. I'm not sad to see the back of Elmander. I think the Elmander of the start of last season would be a big miss but the Elmo of the rest of his time at Bolton. I don't think we'd've been better off by a considerable margin, maybe one or two goals which NGog hasnt got this year.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:02 am

lovethesmellofnapalm wrote:we miss Megson

:whack:

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:15 am

Lord Kangana wrote:I have less faith that you'll understand how much shit this club was left in by the previous regime.
If that's the case - why did the board & chairman allow it to happen ?