Bottom 5 fixtures

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Bottom 5 fixtures

Post by ratbert » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:09 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
norm the jedi wrote:I feel a wet Tuesday night at the villa coming on! Always rains when I go there....
Could be the turning point?
We may have had to create a little movement before then, but it certainly looks important as a winnable game against a possible Railegation Replacement Service.

Villa away always reminds me of that 3-1 win in April 1998 when Cox, Bob Taylor and Blake scored and we felt hope after one win in the previous five. (Mind you, we'd earlier gone 13 games without winning.) The team that day, for the doe-eyed reminiscence of old farts like us: Branagan, Cox, Taggart, Fish (Fairclough 52), Bergsson, Phillips; Thompson, Frandsen (Johansen 18), Sheridan; Blake, Taylor (Giallanza 89). Unused subs: Jaaskelainen, Salako.
That was a great game. Jimmy Phillips, of all people, had a blinder down the wing that day.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:12 pm

in the 5-2? he scored a nice swivel n volley I recall...very Ivan Klasnic...

I was convinced we would survive that day, alas

Jokers in White
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jokers in White » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:59 pm

We need 3 wins out of last 6, i think we'll beat Villa away then West Brom at home which would then leave the last game of the season against Stoke to pick up 3 points to stay up i can't see it personally. Where has Coyle taken the dossers on holiday?
https://twitter.com/Chaddy_81" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:02 pm

Jokers in White wrote:We need 3 wins out of last 6, i think we'll beat Villa away then West Brom at home which would then leave the last game of the season against Stoke to pick up 3 points to stay up i can't see it personally. Where has Coyle taken the dossers on holiday?
Dubai.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:04 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:
Jokers in White wrote:We need 3 wins out of last 6, i think we'll beat Villa away then West Brom at home which would then leave the last game of the season against Stoke to pick up 3 points to stay up i can't see it personally. Where has Coyle taken the dossers on holiday?
Dubai.
can someone reassure me that I am wrong in thinking that we have never returned from a warm-weather training break and hit the ground running?

I just have a horrible memory that every time we have done this we have come back looking like we were still on holiday and got utterly spanked....

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:05 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:
Dubai.
No, I think the club paid.

Mine's the silver puffer jacket with the furry collar and cuffs.
Businesswoman of the year.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:07 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:
Dubai.

:lol:

Jokers in White
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jokers in White » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:11 pm

thebish wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:
Dubai.
can someone reassure me that I am wrong in thinking that we have never returned from a warm-weather training break and hit the ground running?

I just have a horrible memory that every time we have done this we have come back looking like we were still on holiday and got utterly spanked....
You are right Bish we are ALWAYS wank when we come back from a holiday during the season, we will look knackered and the players will be going through the motion's. I'm dreading the Swansea game this break is a hindrance, Swansea will be much fitter.
https://twitter.com/Chaddy_81" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:16 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:
Dubai.

:whack:

:D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:43 pm

Jokers in White wrote:
thebish wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:
Dubai.

You are right Bish we are ALWAYS wank when we come back from a holiday during the season, we will look knackered and the players will be going through the motion's. I'm dreading the Swansea game this break is a hindrance, Swansea will be much fitter.
I'd like to add a positive spin to this if I may. When we have previously done this, we have generally sent footballers away, where the holiday-making has knocked them out their rhythm and it's taken a game for them to adapt when they got back.

With this lot, there isn't much difference, that were likely to notice, and they're probably much better holiday-makers than the others we've sent, so it might just give us a lift.

I guess Eagle's isn't driving the team bus?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:03 pm

Worthy4England wrote: I guess Eagle's isn't driving the team bus?
:lol:

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:04 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
I'd like to add a positive spin to this if I may.
Hell has frozen over!! :wink:

On a general note, there are some on here who think we are down already. Six games left FFS - blind faith is a prerequisite of becoming a Wanderer.

Get a grip - COYWM.

It'll be 'reet. :mrgreen:
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:08 am

Jokers in White wrote:We need 3 wins out of last 6, i think we'll beat Villa away then West Brom at home which would then leave the last game of the season against Stoke to pick up 3 points to stay up
Swansea at home first; I'll start to worry if we don't beat them. The level of worry will depend on the success of other teams.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:55 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Jokers in White wrote:We need 3 wins out of last 6, i think we'll beat Villa away then West Brom at home which would then leave the last game of the season against Stoke to pick up 3 points to stay up
Swansea at home first; I'll start to worry if we don't beat them. The level of worry will depend on the success of other teams.
I knew there was a good reason that I didn't take that insurance sales job when I was 18.

I started to worry in October and declared us relegated in November and haven't actually worried since.

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Relentless09 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:59 pm

By the time we play Swansea I'll have a mental break down I'm worrying that much

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:40 pm

No point worrying about the things you can't change. So perhaps I should say that if we don't beat Swansea, I will start to think it likely that we'll get relegated. At the moment, on balance of probabilities, I still don't think we will.

Another interesting snippet I gleaned from the London Evening Substandard last night: from their last nine away league games, QPR have gained two points.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:44 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:No point worrying about the things you can't change. So perhaps I should say that if we don't beat Swansea, I will start to think it likely that we'll get relegated. At the moment, on balance of probabilities, I still don't think we will.

Another interesting snippet I gleaned from the London Evening Substandard last night: from their last nine away league games, QPR have gained two points.

encouraging :D

prior to this week - from their last 14 games against ManU, Wigan gained 0 points.. :(

:wink:

anyway - I've said it all along - and I'm not faltering yet... it'll be reet...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:55 pm

Heh! I've always said I'm less impressed by historical failure (eg Wigan) than recent form. You can argue about 'bogey teams' and the like but really, that Wigan run dates back to the days of Jimmy Bullard etc, it's very little to do with the current crop - whereas form plays heavily on the players, whether it induces inertia or momentum.

QPR have developed a decent run of home form, but that's the point of the article - they'll almost certainly need to win on the road too. I just found it interesting that other teams' fans are as worried as ours...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:46 pm

I just can;t see any way out of it for us. I can't see us beating anybody..

I'm sure we will. But we're just so bad. :-(
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Jez
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jez » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:45 pm

Just as many points for beating swansea at home as for beating Man U at home. Other teams e.g. QPR still have teams like Man City to play, we dont. Absolutely no reason the run in still cant work in our favour.