Jaffka's gossip thread on the ins and outs at the 'Bok

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Jaffka's gossip thread on the ins and outs at the 'Bok

Post by malcd1 » Sun May 20, 2012 2:02 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wandering Willy wrote:KD on the pitch dictates the way we play.

We need to change the way we play.
A couple of managers have tried... :(
and pretty much failed. We don't have the players to play nice passing football.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun May 20, 2012 2:04 pm

malcd1 wrote:

and pretty much failed. We don't have the players to play nice passing football.
this always baffles me... I would have thought that it is one of the basics of football - football 101 if you like - to be able to pass the ball to another player. I would have thought that to be good enough for a premiership or championship-level contract, you should be able to pass the ball to another player with reasonable accuracy and consistency.. what else the feck IS a footballer's job???

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 20, 2012 2:44 pm

thebish wrote:
malcd1 wrote:

this always baffles me... I would have thought that it is one of the basics of football - football 101 if you like - to be able to pass the ball to another player. I would have thought that to be good enough for a premiership or championship-level contract, you should be able to pass the ball to another player with reasonable accuracy and consistency.. what else the feck IS a footballer's job???
Because its not just passing it? It's being able to pass it quickly and incisively enough to open teams up and create chances.

We certainly haven't been good enough to do that.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun May 20, 2012 2:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:
malcd1 wrote:

Because its not just passing it? It's being able to pass it quickly and incisively enough to open teams up and create chances.

am I asking too much of professional footballers?? if they can't pass and move incisively - what CAN they do??

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 20, 2012 2:55 pm

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:
malcd1 wrote:

am I asking too much of professional footballers?? if they can't pass and move incisively - what CAN they do??
How many truly can though? Chelsea certainly don't do that. They're champions of Europe.

For me playing like that is fine if you've got the right players. But nowadays with the physical power and pace, not to mention the way teams are organised, it's harder unless you have a Silva, Modric, Messi, Iniesta etc....

Even a team like Swansea relied heavily in pacy wingers, a tight defence and waiting for a mistake.....

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun May 20, 2012 4:25 pm

I'm obviously far too demanding!

I expect a professional carpenter to be able to fashion proper joints, cut straight, measure properly and be able to use the full panoply of carpentry tools at his disposal to good effect.

I expect a professional footballer to be able to pass a ball to another player - at pace - and accurately and consistently - and to be able to score 8 out of 10 times from the penalty spot - and to be able to kick a ball from a dead-ball situation (a corner or a freekick) into roughly the area he planned to kick it.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun May 20, 2012 4:38 pm

thebish wrote:I'm obviously far too demanding!

I expect a professional carpenter to be able to fashion proper joints, cut straight, measure properly and be able to use the full panoply of carpentry tools at his disposal to good effect.

I expect a professional footballer to be able to pass a ball to another player - at pace - and accurately and consistently - and to be able to score 8 out of 10 times from the penalty spot - and to be able to kick a ball from a dead-ball situation (a corner or a freekick) into roughly the area he planned to kick it.
For a measly £40.000 a week? Be reasonable, please.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun May 20, 2012 4:40 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:

I'm being generous!! I haven't said I expect them to be able to kick a ball left and right-footed! :wink:

onlywanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by onlywanderer » Sun May 20, 2012 8:22 pm

thebish wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

I'm being generous!! I haven't said I expect them to be able to kick a ball left and right-footed! :wink:

But maybe not if you have a 6ft 2 lump of a bloke trying to stop said carpenter from fashioning said joints?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun May 20, 2012 8:28 pm

onlywanderer wrote:
thebish wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

But maybe not if you have a 6ft 2 lump of a bloke trying to stop said carpenter from fashioning said joints?
It's only a tarts game - hardly even a contact sport.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun May 20, 2012 10:10 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
onlywanderer wrote:
thebish wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

It's only a tarts game - hardly even a contact sport.
Even though I suspect that you are tongue in cheek, I do fully agree with your statement.

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Relentless09 » Tue May 22, 2012 11:12 am

On my iPod so im struggling to get the link but according to The Bolton News and Coyle, we are after Ryo again

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue May 22, 2012 11:18 am

Really?? He isn't needed. And by me, isn't wanted.

Let's use what we have. We have 2 better players than him in that position.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 22, 2012 11:20 am

Relentless09 wrote:On my iPod so im struggling to get the link but according to The Bolton News and Coyle, we are after Ryo again
You can take the piss out of Coyle, but you can't stop him taking the piss.

Wylde, LCY (who he mentions as "coming back" that article), Petrov, Eagles.

Why bother with another? Who won't get in ahead of Eagles or LCY or Petrov....

Baffling.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue May 22, 2012 11:21 am

Budget raping. I can only assume LCY is low down his pecking order, which is absolutely terrifying in terms of judgement.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue May 22, 2012 11:28 am

Relentless09 wrote:On my iPod so im struggling to get the link but according to The Bolton News and Coyle, we are after Ryo again
WANDERERS are hoping to tempt Ryo Miyaichi into spending another season at the Reebok.

Owen Coyle has already opened talks with Arsenal over loaning the Japanese teenager, and is hoping to convince Arsene Wenger that a spell in the Championship would be good for his development.

“We’d love to have him back – he’s an exciting young player and that’s what we want for next year,” Coyle said yesterday. “I’ve had a discussion with Arsenal already and it’s only early days in the summer but we’ll see how that pans out.”

Miyaichi was outstanding in his first half dozen games for the Whites but his impact lessened after a couple of late-season injuries. The 19-year-old forged a close bond with South Korea international Chung-Yong Lee, and told Japanese journalists at the end of last season that he would not be against a return to the North West, with chances likely to still be limited at the Emirates.

“Ryo certainly loved his time at the club.,” Coyle told The Bolton News. “To be fair to the kid, he was trying to play through injuries in the last four or five games and I had to say to him ‘in order to be at your best, you have to be at your maximum fitness.’ He had such a big heart that he wanted to play his part. We had to take him out of the firing line.

“If we could get him back with us again, then that would be great.”

Coyle is no stranger to the loan market but with transfer funds likely to be at a premium next season, he may have to rely on younger talents from the top flight to boost his numbers for a minimum 48-game campaign.

He does not think the club’s relegation will badly harm his chances of attracting the right kind of players.

“The relationship we’ve got with the top clubs is there for everyone to see,” he said.

“You can see that with the quality of player we’ve been able to get in on loan, and that will continue to be the case.

“If the right ones become available then we’ll do everything we can to bring them to the football club.”

It is understood Coyle is looking to sign three new players on permanent deals this summer, with a centre back and central midfielder of utmost importance. He will meet with club chairman Phil Gartside and owner Eddie Davies in the next couple of weeks to discuss budgets - but insists his squad are in good shape to make an immediate return to the big time.

“We’re building an exciting young team and in that respect, we’re actually better placed than we were last year,” he said. “From the team that would have finished eighth over the last 11 games, there’s only Nigel Reo-Coker that had played consistently that has left.

“We’ve got Stuart Holden, Chung-Yong Lee and Tyrone Mears to come back into that as well, never mind that we’re looking to add one or two to the team.”
mmmmm. Not sure.

He certainly got 'found out' after hius initial few games. Obviously a different level, but as said, we are quite well served in these positions. Go get centre-halves Owen m'lad.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

elfil76
Reliable
Reliable

Post by elfil76 » Tue May 22, 2012 11:38 am

Not sure about u guys, i am really beginning to hate coyle's decision each time.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue May 22, 2012 11:40 am

It's truly baffling. Going into the Championship with 5 wingers vying for 2 positions? 3 is fine, 4 is ideal. 5 is pissing people off.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Tue May 22, 2012 11:44 am

It's May 22nd.
Fugs sake.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue May 22, 2012 11:44 am

elfil76 wrote:Not sure about u guys, i am really beginning to hate coyle's decision each time.
That happened to me in January ... v Wigan.

Everyone gets there, just takes some a little longer than others.

The guy is, as we say in Wales, a fckg idiot.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".