OC says Marv to be given a chance this season

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Re: OC says Marv to be given a chance this season

Post by Tombwfc » Sat May 26, 2012 12:17 pm

With Lee and Holden in the team, I can see the arguement that we might've gotten the extra two points we needed to stay up, although I'm sure a lot of teams would feel they'd have been better off if they had certain players available (if Djibril Cisse hadn't got himself sent off twice, QPR would've probably accumulated more points).

Some things you can't control, some things you can. For the first half of the season we had available to us one of the top tackling midfielders of the previous season, and a centre-half who would eventually win the Champions League... we didn't bother playing the former and still shipped two goals a game. Then came January where we decided we missed Holden and Lee so much we'd replace them with a 19-year-old on loan and a new fourth choice striker who cost more than Stuey and Chungy combined.

Which brings us back to the original subject of the thread, where the manager claimed that the 10 Premier League games we played (in seven weeks or so) following Muamba's collapse, would've been too 'stop-start' a run to play Sordell in, due to the one cup game we also had to fulfil in that period. Also, the sparkling form of Ivan Klasnic and David Ngog, who both scored one league goal following Sordell's arrival.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat May 26, 2012 2:17 pm

hi there, i'm craig wrote:Managers make mistakes, he will improve.
So, the lesson's he's learnt so far have led to him ;

offering Knight a new contract
offering (S)KD a new contract
looking to re-loan Ryo
a bllx 'explanation' about not playing Sordell
not moving Heaven & Earth to keep NRC (or at least bust a gut trying)

None of this is promising.

... & these are just the ones we've seen.

Injuries, bad luck & strong competitors can't be avoided.
Simple organisation, defending set pieces, having your healthy players fit enough to compete ARE in his control. Have we heard about him reviewing his coaching staff ? His fitness team ? His motivation skills ? Not a word.

There is NOTHING to suggest he's learnt, nothing at all.

OK, that's it on this subject from me. Time will show whether next season is better. Time will prove that he won't cut it even if we do go back up.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat May 26, 2012 2:44 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
OK, that's it on this subject from me.

LOLZ!! 8)

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sat May 26, 2012 2:47 pm

50sQuiff wrote:To be honest, I don't know what being linked to big clubs has to do with this. Journalists don't see every 90 minutes for a whole season, so their opinions are just as short-sighted and even more speculative than your average fan.
It's a results based industry and if you're producing results, the media will take notice. They praised Coyle highly because he was producing results for a club which were certain to go down when he took over. The media don't need to watch 90 minutes to see how Coyle's team plays. It's all about the results and the fact is, he was successful for us until the FA Cup semi.
50sQuiff wrote:Ask a Burnley fan. Go and read a Burnley forum. Coyle was sending them down too. And their complaints were very very similar to ours.
Should I ask the Burnley fans who got them into the Premier League for the first time in 33 years? Or who took them to their highest league finish?

Even the most ardent Coyle hater on the Burnley forums wouldn't deny Coyle was successful for them. If he wasn't, why would they hate him for leaving them? If he was taking them down anyway, they would be thankful he left.
50sQuiff wrote:More observant posters on here correctly identified in November that if allowed to continue, Coyle would take us down.
Had we scored one more goal on the last day, those "observant" posters would have been wrong. We went down but it was incredibly fine.

By the way, what's all this "astute fan", "observant posters" nonsense about? Along the lines of 'I'm right and anyone who disagrees is a moron', right?

elfil76
Reliable
Reliable

Post by elfil76 » Sat May 26, 2012 3:33 pm

Early comments and actions do not seems to suggest we will see anything different from clueless. He demonstrated stubborness and more disturbing that he didn't take responsibility when his tactics didn't work rather blame on players. Example playing whether as right back and he got a red.

He did not seems to learn the lesson quick enough last reason while amatuers in this forum seems to be spot on with their observations.

Whookam
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Whookam » Sat May 26, 2012 3:48 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote: They praised Coyle highly because he was producing results for a club which were certain to go down when he took over.
That is simply not true and you know it. We had 18 points from 18 game, were third bottom with two games in hand when Megson was sacked. That is not 'certain to go down' in anyone's book.

hi there, i'm craig
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by hi there, i'm craig » Sat May 26, 2012 4:08 pm

I've said all I needed to say on this.

Come on coyle most of us are behind you.
Mistakes are made and that's why we get second chances.

Let's enjoy next season! Good luck to sordell.

bristolwanderer
Promising
Promising

Post by bristolwanderer » Sat May 26, 2012 4:10 pm

Aye, Sordell is proven in this league aslong as he's playing he will get goals.

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Sat May 26, 2012 4:19 pm

yeah that coyle quote has me cringing. he talks some utter sh*t at times. c*nt.

wanderers_on_tour
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by wanderers_on_tour » Sat May 26, 2012 4:59 pm

With all this talk about Sordell netting does anyone know somewhere on the internet I can put a tenner down on Ngog scoring 10+ next year?

Probably shite odds but I always do a 'heart over head' bet each season and thought it was as good as any :wink:

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sat May 26, 2012 5:03 pm

wanderers_on_tour wrote:With all this talk about Sordell netting does anyone know somewhere on the internet I can put a tenner down on Ngog scoring 10+ next year?

Probably shite odds but I always do a 'heart over head' bet each season and thought it was as good as any :wink:
he'll get 11 before august is out.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sat May 26, 2012 6:23 pm

hi there, i'm craig wrote:I've said all I needed to say on this.

Come on coyle most of us are behind you.

Mistakes are made and that's why we get second chances.

Let's enjoy next season! Good luck to sordell.
You're way out of touch

Is your name Owen?
Sto ut Serviam

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat May 26, 2012 7:08 pm

Just asking a reasonable question now but how would most react if Owen did take us back up?
Pfffft.

Whookam
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Whookam » Sat May 26, 2012 8:10 pm

TKIZ! wrote:Just asking a reasonable question now but how would most react if Owen did take us back up?
I'd love it. I think he's out of his depth, I think he's a poor manager and I think he should have been sacked in November BUT if he can learn from his mistakes and take us back up I'm willing to let bygones be bygones. Much better Coyle than a Megson.

Though I do think he'll have us wallowing in midtable come November. :(

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Gail Platz » Sat May 26, 2012 8:16 pm

TKIZ! wrote:Just asking a reasonable question now but how would most react if Owen did take us back up?
I'd be fecking delighted as would most fans.

I still like the guy, I think he has the right intentions and enthusiasm but I don't think he has the tactical knowledge to make what he wants to do successful. I really, really want it to work out for him because he's still well liked amongst a lot of the fans and I couldn't hack another Megson type where the fans are straight on the manager's back as soon as something goes wrong.

Turkish Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Turkish Trotter » Sat May 26, 2012 8:22 pm

Gail Platz wrote:
I'd be fecking delighted as would most fans.

I still like the guy, I think he has the right intentions and enthusiasm but I don't think he has the tactical knowledge to make what he wants to do successful. I really, really want it to work out for him because he's still well liked amongst a lot of the fans and I couldn't hack another Megson type where the fans are straight on the manager's back as soon as something goes wrong.

This :pray:
Born to be a Wanderer!!
Some say Wisdom comes with age, I may be the exception !!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat May 26, 2012 8:31 pm

Tombwfc wrote:if Djibril Cisse hadn't got himself sent off twice, QPR would've probably accumulated more points.

Some things you can't control, some things you can.
Indeed, ill discipline is a controlable factor, freak injuries are not. Coyle well may have been shit with his tactics, but when your 2 best midfielders are out for the season, at a club with comparable resources to ours (not top 8), it has a massive impact. Whether you believe it would have been inspite of Coyle is immaterial, with those two we would have had no legitimate excuses. Save for perhaps the freak heart attack on the pitch of one of our better players. Though Coyle may disagree on the latter point.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 26, 2012 8:34 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:if Djibril Cisse hadn't got himself sent off twice, QPR would've probably accumulated more points.

Some things you can't control, some things you can.
Indeed, ill discipline is a controlable factor, freak injuries are not. Coyle well may have been shit with his tactics, but when your 2 best midfielders are out for the season, at a club with comparable resources to ours (not top 8), it has a massive impact. Whether you believe it would have been inspite of Coyle is immaterial, with those two we would have had no legitimate excuses. Save for perhaps the freak heart attack on the pitch of one of our better players. Though Coyle may disagree on the latter point.
Given Coyle has already said we are not selling anyone, a stance reinforced by his right hand man and the BN today, we should have our best two players back a league below next season.

By your logic we should be straight back up no worries. Given how those two would have kept us up last season in a higher league.

I hoe you are right then....

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat May 26, 2012 8:41 pm

I hope we're all right. Coyle is still a 'young' manager, experience wise.
Pfffft.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat May 26, 2012 8:41 pm

Durrr, apart from all the released players and NRC.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.