Ricardo Gardner: Testimonial?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

steviewander
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Ricardo Gardner: Testimonial?

Post by steviewander » Fri May 18, 2012 8:02 pm

This definitely needs to happen, he was such an amazing player. or IS such an amazing player should I say. Up there with Nobby Solano!

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Gail Platz » Fri May 18, 2012 10:08 pm

At the Supporter Forum at the start of the season, someone asked Gartside would he get one and he said yes.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat May 19, 2012 9:50 am

Gail Platz wrote:At the Supporter Forum at the start of the season, someone asked Gartside would he get one and he said yes.
Basically, the whole testimonial thang historically came about to reward players for staying loyal to a club in lieu of them resisting signing on fees from moving around. Sam Allardyce readily admits that he moved around so much as a player in order to gather said signing on fees as they were the only way that he could ever garner serious till as a player. The idea was that said player would then be able to set themselves up in business after they'd stopped playing. At that time the club would give the player free use of the stadium, I believe.

Narr then. My friend that used to play LB for us had his testimonial against Celtic, and actually had the audacity to moan to me that he had to hire the ground off of the club and pay all the expenses for stewarding, floodlighting and so on, thus resulting in him "Only making a few grand out of it". :roll:
May the bridges I burn light your way

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue May 22, 2012 10:54 am

Ahh. Jiminho.. Not like he's not had a penny out of the club since. Granted, he's been working there, but still!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue May 22, 2012 11:17 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gail Platz wrote:At the Supporter Forum at the start of the season, someone asked Gartside would he get one and he said yes.
Basically, the whole testimonial thang historically came about to reward players for staying loyal to a club in lieu of them resisting signing on fees from moving around. Sam Allardyce readily admits that he moved around so much as a player in order to gather said signing on fees as they were the only way that he could ever garner serious till as a player. The idea was that said player would then be able to set themselves up in business after they'd stopped playing. At that time the club would give the player free use of the stadium, I believe.

Narr then. My friend that used to play LB for us had his testimonial against Celtic, and actually had the audacity to moan to me that he had to hire the ground off of the club and pay all the expenses for stewarding, floodlighting and so on, thus resulting in him "Only making a few grand out of it". :roll:
2 major changes since those times, of course ...

1. The players retiring were largely looking forward to running pubs or newsagents ... even at top division levels.The players were better off than most spectators, but not by so much as to make them ettled for life.

2. The ground, plus a handful of day staff on turnstiles & the like cost beggar-all. These days policing costs alone will cost a good amount.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue May 22, 2012 11:20 am

BUT... Imagine how much policing 6000 Celtic fans required? They were horrible that day. And it was a friendly!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue May 22, 2012 11:31 am

boltonboris wrote:BUT... Imagine how much policing 6000 Celtic fans required? They were horrible that day. And it was a friendly!
Exactly. & once upon a time the scuffers stood the cost of that. Now it's the club.

Just another reason we don't want that pile of vagabonds & their blue mates in the English league.

I love Ricky to bits & as said before if the money goes to a proper charity then great, but he sure doesn't need it ... & the past 2 seasons he's made Keiron Dyer seem like an ever-present.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

hi there, i'm craig
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by hi there, i'm craig » Sun May 27, 2012 11:49 am

Ye just heard on the radio he is deffinatly having one some time this summer, also heard that Niall quinn is one of the only top footballers to donate all of his testimonial money to charity, I agree with the amount footballers are paid not to mention clauses in there contract we're as a striker will get a goal bonus if he scores (getting paid extra to do the job there being paid to do anyway) that a testomonial should be a charity event for top paid footballers.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sun May 27, 2012 11:56 am

hi there, i'm craig wrote:Ye just heard on the radio he is deffinatly having one some time this summer, also heard that Niall quinn is one of the only top footballers to donate all of his testimonial money to charity, I agree with the amount footballers are paid not to mention clauses in there contract we're as a striker will get a goal bonus if he scores (getting paid extra to do the job there being paid to do anyway) that a testomonial should be a charity event for top paid footballers.

i agree

i think it's davos 10th year nxt season you can bet your bottom dollar all of his testimonial money will go to charity
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun May 27, 2012 11:59 am

plymouth wanderer wrote:
hi there, i'm craig wrote:Ye just heard on the radio he is deffinatly having one some time this summer, also heard that Niall quinn is one of the only top footballers to donate all of his testimonial money to charity, I agree with the amount footballers are paid not to mention clauses in there contract we're as a striker will get a goal bonus if he scores (getting paid extra to do the job there being paid to do anyway) that a testomonial should be a charity event for top paid footballers.

i agree

i think it's davos 10th year nxt season you can bet your bottom dollar all of his testimonial money will go to charity
It shouldn't be

hi there, i'm craig
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by hi there, i'm craig » Sun May 27, 2012 4:06 pm

Hoboh wrote:
plymouth wanderer wrote:

i agree

It shouldn't be

It shouldn't be what?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sun May 27, 2012 6:03 pm

His 10th year with us. Keep up. 8)

hi there, i'm craig
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by hi there, i'm craig » Sun May 27, 2012 6:12 pm

bobo the clown wrote:His 10th year with us. Keep up. 8)
My apologies, he joined in 2003 so anytime after next season.

hi there, i'm chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by hi there, i'm chris » Sun May 27, 2012 9:39 pm

Hadn't even thought about a Kev testimonial. That'll be an amazing night.
http://www.twitter.com/chrisbradish" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon May 28, 2012 12:01 pm

I'm hoping the delay on the Ricardo Gardner testimonial is due to the players that he wants to play on the day/night. After all would be great to see the likes of Kevin Nolan, Okocha, etc. playing again in a Bolton shirt.

I suppose a Bolton v Jamaica XI would be a good shout.

hi there, i'm craig
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by hi there, i'm craig » Mon May 28, 2012 1:50 pm

Mar wrote:I'm hoping the delay on the Ricardo Gardner testimonial is due to the players that he wants to play on the day/night. After all would be great to see the likes of Kevin Nolan, Okocha, etc. playing again in a Bolton shirt.

I suppose a Bolton v Jamaica XI would be a good shout.
As much as I would love to see the greats that played with gardener again pulling on our shirt again it would be just as heart breaking to see what we had to what we have now.

Maybe they will all decide they miss Bolton and open contract talks as I have just invented a super drug that makes you 10 years younger.

And especially for gardener makes you injury free!

O how we will miss you Ricardo :(

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Mon May 28, 2012 1:53 pm

In time-honoured tradition, Riccy should play in the testimonial and then go off injured after 25 mins :)

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Mon May 28, 2012 1:54 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:In time-honoured tradition, Riccy should play in the testimonial and then go off injured after 25 mins :)
Warhust to be invited do you think .... & Sean Davies ?

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Mon May 28, 2012 1:57 pm

How about nobody goes on the pitch, they all just sit there on the bench chatting for 90 minutes..?
With coats on & wooly hats :)

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Relentless09 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:40 am

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:In time-honoured tradition, Riccy should play in the testimonial and then go off injured after 25 mins :)
Was just thinking about this, what happens if the player who's testimonial it is has to brought off ? I know the game continues but it would be a strange sight