Season expectations

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Season expectations

Post by thebish » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:11 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:All I have to add is that it's very confusing that Pru and Worthy have the same avatars. Bring back AOB's squashed face and Frankie's oversized gegs!
they are one and the same person... Pru is just Worthy's more glamourous and fashion-conscious alter-ego

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:19 am

thebish wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:All I have to add is that it's very confusing that Pru and Worthy have the same avatars. Bring back AOB's squashed face and Frankie's oversized gegs!
they are one and the same person... Pru is just Worthy's more glamourous and fashion-conscious alter-ego
Can't be. Worthy can sup some ale. :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:43 am

So can I! Just, weird things happen afterwards.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:47 pm

like pink dressing gowns

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:55 pm

thebish wrote:
Pah. I can do fashion.

Just check out any 1970's movie and you'll be about there.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:13 pm

jaffka wrote:like pink dressing gowns
Went to a monastery on holiday, they wanted you covered up. If your shorts weren't knee length or longer they gave you a purple dressing gown to wear. I was gutted when he waved me through! I'd have rocked it senseless.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:19 am

Prufrock wrote:I don't know what 'Premiership standard' (PS) and 'Championship standard' (CS) mean. Some folk were talking about Chungy and Holden as being our only 'Premiership standard' players, which seems to suggest PS means 'good enough' to win the Premiership. That would make CS good enough to win the Championship. If that is the case, then no, I don't think most of our squad are a clear cut above CS. If on the other hand you think players good enough to go and have a decent career knocking around mid table in the Premiership are PS, as I do, then your question is do I think most of this squad is a clear cut above 'good enough to have decent careers knocking about mid-table in the Championship? If so then yes. Some of them several clear cuts, some of them not individually. Overall I'd say our squad is in the strongest two or three, if not the best.

For comparison, David Norris, who wasn't even nearly good enough for us when he was a kid, has spent large swathes of his career in the Championship with Plymouth and Ipswich, and done well. He is a Championship standard midfielder. Stuart Holden he is not.
Pretty much how I see it. There should be spells when the side is settled and good results flow.The season will depend on how coyle deals with it when we have a few bad results. If he starts drawing raffle tickets for selection again and blaming the players when his poor tactics cause defeats we will underachieve. I'm not sure coyle can deal with pressure. 3 bad results on the bounce at this level and he will be under pressure. 6 and he'll be out of a job.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:36 am

My expectations are currently that we will have by far the best squad of players but nowhere near the best team.

We dont have enough solid ball winning/possession retaining midfield players...i.e. only an injury prone Holden. We have a defence and goalkeeper that is pretty much untried as a unit, and looks likely to be good for a regular cheap goal or two, and most importantly we dont appear to have an established or settled way of playing, and judging from last season, our manager will settle on the wrong system for the players at his disposal. Our srikers all look like missing most of the chances they are going to get. The only positive is we have some terrific attacking midfield players....but without a solid spine they wont see enough the ball to be effective, and we will miss too many chances they create to win enough games.

Im hoping for the best but ready for a frustrating experience. I fear Coyle will not survive the season. As ive just said in another thread, I think his effectiveness is completely based on the spark and enthusiasm he brings when he first arrives at a club, and when that dissipates there isnt an awful lot there.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:26 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:My expectations are currently that we will have by far the best squad of players but nowhere near the best team.

We dont have enough solid ball winning/possession retaining midfield players...i.e. only an injury prone Holden. We have a defence and goalkeeper that is pretty much untried as a unit, and looks likely to be good for a regular cheap goal or two, and most importantly we dont appear to have an established or settled way of playing, and judging from last season, our manager will settle on the wrong system for the players at his disposal. Our srikers all look like missing most of the chances they are going to get. The only positive is we have some terrific attacking midfield players....but without a solid spine they wont see enough the ball to be effective, and we will miss too many chances they create to win enough games.

Im hoping for the best but ready for a frustrating experience. I fear Coyle will not survive the season. As ive just said in another thread, I think his effectiveness is completely based on the spark and enthusiasm he brings when he first arrives at a club, and when that dissipates there isnt an awful lot there.
I fear the prat may be with us all season tbh!
I'm getting a feeling the players don't really see him as the boss and have little respect for him he's sure as sh^t lost any I had.

lovethesmellofnapalm
Reliable
Reliable

Post by lovethesmellofnapalm » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:55 am

i think we'll go back up despite some uncomfortable spells along the way.
nervous about our back five - big season for Bogdan this- and could use a dogs of war midfielder
not worried about goals unlike some on here
"A child of five would understand this- send someone to fetch a child of five"

steviewander
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by steviewander » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:05 pm

I think we have to expect to go back up, anything less would be a total let down.
Lets be optimistic!

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Post by freeindeed » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:51 pm

I got a price of 8-1 with Boyle's for us to win the league. I used their promotion of a free £40 bet (!) to make a further bet of £20 to win and a second bet of £20 on automatic promotion at 5/2.

Therefore for £20, I have £40 on us to win at 8-1 & £20 to finish in the top 2 at 5/2

If we finish first i recoup £430
2nd - I recoup £70

A good bet!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:19 am

freeindeed wrote:I got a price of 8-1 with Boyle's for us to win the league. I used their promotion of a free £40 bet (!) to make a further bet of £20 to win and a second bet of £20 on automatic promotion at 5/2.

Therefore for £20, I have £40 on us to win at 8-1 & £20 to finish in the top 2 at 5/2

If we finish first i recoup £430
2nd - I recoup £70

A good bet!
I can recall a few seasons back, a Citeh supporting mate of mine explaining how "14-1" for them to win at Arsenal was "a good bet".

I pointed him to the fact that the bigger the number in front of the "-1", the less likely people thought it was going to occur, and that the only people who thought his £50 heading their way was a "good bet", was Mr Done and his family holiday fund.

I hope you're right.

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Post by freeindeed » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:49 pm

Well I effectively have odds of 20-1 due to the Boyles promotion. If the league was run 20 consecutive times would we win once? I think we would - therefore the bet would over time make money.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:25 pm

freeindeed wrote:Well I effectively have odds of 20-1 due to the Boyles promotion. If the league was run 20 consecutive times would we win once? I think we would - therefore the bet would over time make money.
Riiiiiiiiight. You're not a bookie, are you? (That's rhetorical)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:19 am

Worthy4England wrote:
freeindeed wrote:Well I effectively have odds of 20-1 due to the Boyles promotion. If the league was run 20 consecutive times would we win once? I think we would - therefore the bet would over time make money.
Riiiiiiiiight. You're not a bookie, are you? (That's rhetorical)
Rhetorical it may be, but I would bet he's not :D

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:38 am

Worthy4England wrote: I can recall a few seasons back, a Citeh supporting mate of mine explaining how "14-1" for them to win at Arsenal was "a good bet".
It is, however, depressingly indicative of modern football that, in a game competed over by only two teams, one can be priced as long as 14-1 to win...

It's possibly even more depressing that it's reasonably accurate...
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:14 am

So Megson thinks we will gain automatic promotion this season

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... egson.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:10 am

irie Cee Bee wrote:So Megson thinks we will gain automatic promotion this season

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... egson.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's actually one of the most well informed previews I've seen. Not just us, but other teams too!

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:30 am

Rubbish.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.