SKD - An apology

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Re: SKD - An apology

Post by jaffka » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:32 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Lee is a technical winger he needs people getting in and around him, he creates space better than anyone else we've got in our squad.

My only worry for him is that he might not be quite direct or strong enough for this league....but I think he will get there eventually!
He was direct and strong enough for the Premier League. Why not now?
Premier league and this league are different beasts. Teams close you down far quicker in this one as we have found out.
Heard this shit before, it is nonsense.

What happens in the league below? Do you get closed down even quicker?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:40 pm

jaffka wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Lee is a technical winger he needs people getting in and around him, he creates space better than anyone else we've got in our squad.

My only worry for him is that he might not be quite direct or strong enough for this league....but I think he will get there eventually!
Premier league and this league are different beasts. Teams close you down far quicker in this one as we have found out.

Perhaps it is nonsense but certainly the early games teams have closed us down far quicker than they did last season. Teams don't have the same quality to create chances so they work harder to deny players time and space on the ball. That's certainly my impression.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:41 pm

It is nonsense. If anything, you get more, not less, time on the ball. It stands to reason that the top division is going to be consistently of a higher standard.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:14 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
jaffka wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Perhaps it is nonsense but certainly the early games teams have closed us down far quicker than they did last season. Teams don't have the same quality to create chances so they work harder to deny players time and space on the ball. That's certainly my impression.
Can you just admit that you have spouted some shit?

elfil76
Reliable
Reliable

Post by elfil76 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:47 am

I would think that most teams want our scalp since we are seen as a "big boy" in this division. Effort opponents put in will be high as they want to pit themselves and see how they match up with the fallen premier league boys. So if our boys think it is a walk in a park i guess not and captain clueless thinks he can just escape and scrape through the matches with his tactics it is also wrong.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:51 pm

jaffka wrote:
The prozone stats say otherwise.....

http://www.prozonesports.com/news-artic ... vival.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This last season saw Championship teams run an average of 3.6km more each match than their Premier League counterparts, cover 1,239 metres at high intensity and perform 62 more sprints per game. Therefore it will be adapting to the style of play and the tempo of the game that will be fundamental for the newly promoted clubs.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:53 pm

I'm sorry, where does running around more indicate more closing down? If it were so, and players like CYL could be negated by simply closing down, would you seriously have us believe that the collective resources of the Premier League would ignore it? Seriously. You know, really seriously?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:14 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:I'm sorry, where does running around more indicate more closing down? If it were so, and players like CYL could be negated by simply closing down, would you seriously have us believe that the collective resources of the Premier League would ignore it? Seriously. You know, really seriously?
So you think players in the championship run around more and at higher intensity for longer for the hell of it?

Sorry not having that.

When you have the quality in your team that many premiership teams have you don't need to worry about chasing and closing as much. There is definitely a different pace and intensity and those stats show it.

Championship teams run more and at a higher intensity because they lack the quality of most premiership teams. If you read the article it goes onto say that premiership relegation teams run more than the rest, but still go down, presumably because they lack the quality.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:18 pm

That last sentence contradicts everything you've just said. It clearly doesn't work. You're claiming it will against quality players. You're seeing something that isn't there, and trying to convince yourself.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:22 pm

There's probably also the fact that the better teams have better managers (obviously) who can set their team up with a better and more organised shape, full of more intelligent players who don't have to run around like a dick head to make sure the other team doesn't create chances.

The less your midfielders (especially) have to run around when they've not got the ball, the more effective they'll be WITH the ball.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:31 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:That last sentence contradicts everything you've just said. It clearly doesn't work. You're claiming it will against quality players. You're seeing something that isn't there, and trying to convince yourself.
The point being that the less quality you have the more you are required to run and close down.

Which is why teams are so quick to close us down this season. Last season plenty could sit a bit deeper give us a little more time on the ball, then pick us off when they won it back or we gave it away.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:32 pm

I think you're making this up as you go along Insane...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:36 pm

Might be worth mentioning about making the ball do the work . That's what good teams do. Most of the running is in short bursts, finding spaces and good passing. That's where your quality players come in.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:37 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
jaffka wrote:
The prozone stats say otherwise.....

http://www.prozonesports.com/news-artic ... vival.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This last season saw Championship teams run an average of 3.6km more each match than their Premier League counterparts, cover 1,239 metres at high intensity and perform 62 more sprints per game. Therefore it will be adapting to the style of play and the tempo of the game that will be fundamental for the newly promoted clubs.
:laugh:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:16 pm

if it is the case that players are closed down more quickly in the championship - why is it so often said (I believe you said it about Vaz Te and his success last season, BWFCi) - that when they go up into the premiership they won't get as much space or time on the ball...

surely - if what you were saying is true - a shit-hot striker in the championship would get more room and space in the premiership and therefore be even more shitty-hot? no?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:48 pm

thebish wrote:if it is the case that players are closed down more quickly in the championship - why is it so often said (I believe you said it about Vaz Te and his success last season, BWFCi) - that when they go up into the premiership they won't get as much space or time on the ball...

surely - if what you were saying is true - a shit-hot striker in the championship would get more room and space in the premiership and therefore be even more shitty-hot? no?
Because there is a difference between teams closing down quicker and defensive quality. Premiership teams are better defensively, clearly. And they don't do that by pressing all the time, often by backing off and dropping deep and keeping shape. Our second goals last night for example was down to a defensive mistake, pressing the ball and winning it back in the box. You'd not see that in the premiership many times, nothing to do with Forest pressing or not.....

In the championship you will create more chances as the players generally aren't as good and usually you get more possession than you would say playing Man City away. Therefore as a striker you might get One chance a game in the premiership whereas in the championship it might be two or three....

Doesn't mean it isnt a different style, and as the stats show there are some significant differences however they might manifest themselves...

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:54 pm

And how, pray, does that complete u-turn tie-in with your original comment about CYL?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:59 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:And how, pray, does that complete u-turn tie-in with your original comment about CYL?
No u turn, you are pressed higher up the pitch in the championship and teams aim to deny quality players space. Lee is a player who works well in the yard or two of space, he's not going to run past players too often like Eagles and Petrov. Therefore we need to get players in and around him and let him drift a bit to create space.

But I hope that he won't find this league too much hustle and bustle for a player of his type.

We will see.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:24 pm

I refer you back to thebish's point. You're going round in circles here.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:24 pm

I just smell bullshit