owen out 2012/2013

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: owen out 2012/2013

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:19 am

Mar wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Verbal wrote:I can't remember who said it from here, but I seem to recall someone knew someone in the Bolton set-up, who when he was appointed that Coyle's stubbornness will be his downfall.

It's proving the club's at the minute.
It's what a former left back told me when we were down at Wembley. :hang:
Robbo by any chance?

Either way we need something to change.
Nah. Think a little further back and more local. His actual words were "He's as stubborn as a fecking mule and that's what'll be his undoing".

Enough's enough now. This situation shows absolutely no sign of improving at all. I've said before that I'd love Coyle to be the bloke to turn it around. Clearly he can't - in fact, it doesn't appear to have occurred to him that it's even going wrong - let alone why.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:43 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:He won't resign, not for a good while yet. Just as stubborn as Megson was, with an added layer of muddled fantasy.
Whatever you can say about Meggo (and the list was long and varied) -he wasn't a fantasist. Dour, pragmatic and unambitious, but no daydreamer. We now have a team of tiaras and no shire-horses.

Funny. The bad relationship you are in, makes you pine for the one you just left. :D

wanderers_on_tour
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by wanderers_on_tour » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:46 am

Again from the SSN highlights last night, Paulo DiCanio looked an absolute managerial gem as Swindon saw off Stoke away.

Although he really does run hot and cold, and probably wouldn't thrive in what is already abit of a unstable melting pot of a club such as ours, it really was sumat to see him marching up on the sidelines, not merely asking more of his players but demanding it. Everything I thought Owen would do, and bring, all them years ago. Passion, intensity but it will be interesting to see if he can build for the long term, if the answers yes than he might bypass a championship club like ours altogether.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:48 am

Bit fascist though.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:27 am

Jakerbeef wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:He won't resign, not for a good while yet. Just as stubborn as Megson was, with an added layer of muddled fantasy.
Whatever you can say about Meggo (and the list was long and varied) -he wasn't a fantasist.
Yep, that's what I'm saying... and it worries me that whereas Megson didn't want to change, Coyle doesn't even see the need.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:21 pm

Verbal wrote:Bit fascist though.
... & crackers. One moment away from self-imploding at every second !!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:32 pm

wanderers_on_tour wrote:Again from the SSN highlights last night, Paulo DiCanio looked an absolute managerial gem as Swindon saw off Stoke away.

Although he really does run hot and cold, and probably wouldn't thrive in what is already abit of a unstable melting pot of a club such as ours, it really was sumat to see him marching up on the sidelines, not merely asking more of his players but demanding it. Everything I thought Owen would do, and bring, all them years ago. Passion, intensity but it will be interesting to see if he can build for the long term, if the answers yes than he might bypass a championship club like ours altogether.
I'd sooner be relegated into the North West Counties division 2 than have a manager who once had a swastika tattood on his arm.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:54 pm

he wouldnt come to us now anyway.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:06 pm

Peter Thompson (wherever your post has gone), I'm with you. Not on the despising him: I try not to hate, and I managed it with Megson even while fervently wanting him gone. Most Wanderers will never dislike Coyle as much as Megson, an apparently pathologically unlikeable man who seemed to go out of his way to alienate the support.

No matter, those are minor quibbles. I now want Coyle gone. That blinkered stubborn refusal has cost him my support, as if he gives a tuppenny toss. Mistakes I can live with, for a while at least; I'm more worried by blind ignorance and stupidity.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:11 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Peter Thompson (wherever your post has gone), I'm with you. Not on the despising him: I try not to hate, and I managed it with Megson even while fervently wanting him gone. Most Wanderers will never dislike Coyle as much as Megson, an apparently pathologically unlikeable man who seemed to go out of his way to alienate the support.

No matter, those are minor quibbles. I now want Coyle gone. That blinkered stubborn refusal has cost him my support, as if he gives a tuppenny toss. Mistakes I can live with, for a while at least; I'm more worried by blind ignorance and stupidity.
Sorry DSB I deleted the post as I noticed that the link had been posted in another thread.

Its a quite alarming quote from a clueless shambolic inept manager "it's nothing to do with formations and tactics. It's players" if that's the case why do teams need managers & coaches.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:20 pm

So, do we go for an experienced manager who's had success before but lost his way elsewhere or take a punt on an unknown quantity?

Hoddle, Jackett, McCarthy or McIlroy for me - I would have taken a punt on O'Driscoll but Forest got him first

Amongst the unknowns, I can see the logic for someone saying Gary Neville but please God no. Jamie Carragher (a modern day Phil Neal appointment :wink: ) or someone with coaching experience like Steve Stone?

Actually, I've just thought of someone who'd fit the bill - Joe Jordan.

Anyone disagree? :box:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

the-Bowtun-Warrior
Reliable
Reliable

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:23 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:So, do we go for an experienced manager who's had success before but lost his way elsewhere or take a punt on an unknown quantity?

Hoddle, Jackett, McCarthy or McIlroy for me - I would have taken a punt on O'Driscoll but Forest got him first

Amongst the unknowns, I can see the logic for someone saying Gary Neville but please God no. Jamie Carragher (a modern day Phil Neal appointment :wink: ) or someone with coaching experience like Steve Stone?

Curbs.

Jokers in White
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jokers in White » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:40 pm

Coyle does say we'll have to take our medicine alot, i think he's overdosed on the stuff.
https://twitter.com/Chaddy_81" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:42 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:So, do we go for an experienced manager who's had success before but lost his way elsewhere or take a punt on an unknown quantity?

Are any of those Owen Coyle ?

No !!

So I don't disagree.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Jokers in White
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jokers in White » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:42 pm

the-Bowtun-Warrior wrote:

Curbs.
I think that would be a good choice.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:54 pm

We're the type of project Neville needs, but not yet: he's got at least a two-year cycle under Hodgson to learn from. Carragher's even less ready, that would be a huge gamble and presumably costly unless he waives his Liddypool contract. Joe Jordan's 60 and hasn't managed a team since he was 45. Sorry, Harry (G), I'm not buying it.

Not convinced that Hoddle's not bonkers - not in the disabled-controversy way, just in the aloofness. Kenny Jackett might it fancy it, he's not a man to move jobs easily. McIlroy as in Sammy? Lovely fella, fourth division manager. Mick McCarthy would be the easy front-runner with the bookies, and I wouldn't blame them. Hmm...

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:57 pm

That coaching course in Scotland must have been interesting.

"Andre, Andre, what are you doing? Studying what? Tactics? How to organise a training session? feck that, there's a Rileys across the street. Best two out of three at snooker?"

I actually have hope that he'll eventually turn out to be a decent manager, but it won't be here. The sooner he goes the better for everyone.

Alternatives? Curbs or Mick Mac if we're going for almost certain to be better than Coyle, might be a bit dull. Poyet if we're gambling.

Jokers in White
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jokers in White » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:59 pm

Tombwfc wrote:That coaching course in Scotland must have been interesting.

"Andre, Andre, what are you doing? Studying what? Tactics? How to organise a training session? feck that, there's a Rileys across the street. Best two out of three at snooker?"

I actually have hope that he'll eventually turn out to be a decent manager, but it won't be here. The sooner he goes the better for everyone.

Alternatives? Curbs or Mick Mac if we're going for almost certain to be better than Coyle, might be a bit dull. Poyet if we're gambling.
What the fcuk is it now :lol:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:08 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:We're the type of project Neville needs, but not yet: he's got at least a two-year cycle under Hodgson to learn from. Carragher's even less ready, that would be a huge gamble and presumably costly unless he waives his Liddypool contract. Joe Jordan's 60 and hasn't managed a team since he was 45. Sorry, Harry (G), I'm not buying it.

Not convinced that Hoddle's not bonkers - not in the disabled-controversy way, just in the aloofness. Kenny Jackett might it fancy it, he's not a man to move jobs easily. McIlroy as in Sammy? Lovely fella, fourth division manager. Mick McCarthy would be the easy front-runner with the bookies, and I wouldn't blame them. Hmm...
Joe Jordans been in football more recently than Alan Curbishley!

Never understood why McIlroy hasn't been given a chance at a higher level. Always thought he'd be a decent bet - Is that just me? ae:)
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:09 pm

I suppose international football is a higher level..
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"