owen out 2012/2013

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Re: owen out 2012/2013

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:21 pm

LufbraCraig wrote:4 games guys... grow up. In my eyes it's only acceptable to start saying things like this if you can suggest a likely replacement. The only half decent suggestion I've seen on this forum is Billy Davies. I really like him but to be calling for Owen's head so soon is embarrassing.

The way I see it is that under 18 months ago, we were in the top 10 of the premier league and getting to the semi finals of the FA Cup. We had horrendous luck in terms of what happened to Holden, Chungy and Muamba amongst other things, and due to our financial position (which is out of Owen's hands) we are not able to bring in quality replacements. We subsequently went down after admittedly very average play, but also suffering poor refereeing decisions throughout the year - none more so than the two ridiculous decisions at Stoke on the final day. So we went down. And Bolton fans need to adjust.
n035209 wrote:If take Eddie howe, for the simple reason that it would really be appreciated buy our local neighbours. It would be carnage.

... I think the players fans came into the league thinking they had won it already...
This is a very tough league and we shouldn't assume that just because we have been in the Premier League for so long that we have a divine right to go back up. We will lose games at places like Hull and Peterborough. All I want to see is some improvement at the back and for the players to have a real go if we are struggling. I have faith that we'll turn it around and reach at least the Play-Offs and that Coyle can take us there.

But it will not happen if fans continue to have such a poor attitude in their so-called "support" of the club. I hate the fact that whenever I go to the Reebok there's always loads of muppets booing and moaning. As though their negativity is going to have a positive effect on what happens on the pitch.

:crazy:
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

LufbraCraig
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by LufbraCraig » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:36 pm

YtarmyYtarmy wrote:
LufbraCraig wrote:4 games guys... grow up. In my eyes it's only acceptable to start saying things like this if you can suggest a likely replacement. The only half decent suggestion I've seen on this forum is Billy Davies. I really like him but to be calling for Owen's head so soon is embarrassing. Where Have you been for the last 18 months ?? I know it's got progressively worse but we should judge this season on its own. We've only had 4 games. We beat Derby without playing well and showed in the game against Forest that we have the capabilities to compete at the top of this league, and will do very well if we can learn to concede less.

The way I see it is that under 18 months ago, we were in the top 10 of the premier league and getting to the semi finals of the FA Cup. We had horrendous luck in terms of what happened to Holden, Chungy and Muamba amongst other things, and due to our financial position (which is out of Owen's hands) we are not able to bring in quality replacements. We subsequently went down after admittedly very average play, but also suffering poor refereeing decisions throughout the year - none more so than the two ridiculous decisions at Stoke on the final day. So we went down. And Bolton fans need to adjust.
n035209 wrote:If take Eddie howe, for the simple reason that it would really be appreciated buy our local neighbours. It would be carnage.

... I think the players fans came into the league thinking they had won it already...
This is a very tough league and we shouldn't assume that just because we have been in the Premier League for so long that we have a divine right to go back up. We will lose games at places like Hull and Peterborough. All I want to see is some improvement at the back and for the players to have a real go if we are struggling. Thats the problem and its been around for a long time ! The back for is abismal at the moment and he persists in playing players out of position Who is playing out of position at the minute? I remember when he first came in back in 2010 - the first thing he did was sort things out at the back. Whatever he did then, he needs to do again.I have faith that we'll turn it around and reach at least the Play-Offs and that Coyle can take us there.

But it will not happen if fans continue to have such a poor attitude in their so-called "support" of the club. I hate the fact that whenever I go to the Reebok there's always loads of muppets booing and moaning. As though their negativity is going to have a positive effect on what happens on the pitch.
I tend to agree to some extent on this point but if the manngment/board think everything is rosey, then nothing wil change, we assume that they can see what the fans see and there is something going on to rectify the issues, but week in week out Coyle spouts the soame old Shite after a defeat and picks the same squad/formation. Also, I dont see the problem with paying for a season ticket and having a good old moan now and again !!Too many people think that because they have parted with their money it gives them the right to spout shite from the terraces. Even if it does, I don't understand why they do it because who benefits? The problem we have is that we can't afford to sack him and all his background staff, and even if we did, there isn't a suitable replacement ready and waiting. As such, I don't see how we can sack him at the present time.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:40 pm

plymouth wanderer wrote:
LufbraCraig wrote:4 games guys... grow up. In my eyes it's only acceptable to start saying things like this if you can suggest a likely replacement. The only half decent suggestion I've seen on this forum is Billy Davies. I really like him but to be calling for Owen's head so soon is embarrassing.

This is a very tough league and we shouldn't assume that just because we have been in the Premier League for so long that we have a divine right to go back up. We will lose games at places like Hull and Peterborough. All I want to see is some improvement at the back and for the players to have a real go if we are struggling. I have faith that we'll turn it around and reach at least the Play-Offs and that Coyle can take us there.

:crazy:
The fella makes some valid points.Teams wont roll over for us and negativity doesnt help. I bever booed a wanderers side even when we were sliding down the leagues it just never felt right.A rational intelligent choice of new manager needs to be in place before coyle can be let go and 4 games in no matter how hacked off fans are or how hopeless things look I cant see coyle getting the boot just yet.Although I'm bringing my ten games estimate down to 8 now :conf:

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:12 pm

LufbraCraig wrote:4 games guys... grow up.
Aye, everyone. Grow up.
Coyle's only been in charge for four games. Give the man a chance. :roll:
Businesswoman of the year.

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:15 pm

Completely gash team lacking a game plan, tactics or any apparent work done on set pieces for or against.

Superb awayday though

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:25 pm

P.O.S. wrote:Completely gash team lacking a game plan, tactics or any apparent work done on set pieces for or against.
Other than that, though

Another 80 quid gone but but hey, let's find some positives
Sto ut Serviam

Eborted
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Eborted » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:33 pm

I think you need to grow up mate if your gonna suggest that poor refereeing decisions led to our downfall. You actually have the fecking nerve to sing from that sheet? In fact it was poor refereeing decisions that nearly helped us stay up. The phantom QPR goal? The penalties Blackburn should have been given at Ewood after Robbos lunge and the one at the bok after Steinsson tripped someone up? Also to a lesser extent the dubious penalty Sparky won at Wolves which helped change the tide of the game. Speaking of changing the tide of a game the first awful decision at Stoke actually got our arses into gear cos we were shit before it's all swings and roundabouts.

Why the Hell are people treating this like Coyle has just come into the job? It's not four games, the club has been in freefall since April 2011! Thats 15 out of your 18 months accounted for. I'm sick and tired of people like you trying to make me feel like I'm not a fan because I want Coyle out and if any of you actually called for Megson's head you're just the worst!!!! Every club has injuries. Hell he wasn't even playing Muamba (by far our most effective player of the 11-12 season for the little amount he played for) when everything happened and that should have given us heart to fight on motivation wise. He knew we would be without Chungy and Holden for most of the season so again it's not a valid excuse.

If we play shit I'm gonna boo! I'm not gonna let the team think they've put in a satisfactory performance when they haven't. I don't give a feck about being positive the game's over that won't do grow a fecking pair and come back better. If every fan was like you every shit manager would keep their job for life. I personally didn't boo at Forest but I understand the mentality of those who did they've watched the man drag us into the doldrums. Nothing would make me happier than seeing Coyle succeed and him proving me wrong. I don't see it but I love this club! I don't want to shroud the club in negativity and I would never support anything like Steve Kean proportions but I'm not gonna stand by and watch us slip and slide and not let my feelings be known.

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:34 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
P.O.S. wrote:Completely gash team lacking a game plan, tactics or any apparent work done on set pieces for or against.
Other than that, though

Another 80 quid gone but but hey, let's find some positives
If youre waxing money on going watching a team youre expecting to look like being half decent youre buying the wrong tickets!

Enjoyed myself today, just a 90 minute black cloud in the middle of it all

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:38 pm

Eborted wrote:

I think you need to grow up mate if your gonna suggest that poor refereeing decisions led to our downfall. You actually have the fecking nerve to sing from that sheet? In fact it was poor refereeing decisions that nearly helped us stay up. The phantom QPR goal? The penalties Blackburn should have been given at Ewood after Robbos lunge and the one at the bok after Steinsson tripped someone up? Also to a lesser extent the dubious penalty Sparky won at Wolves which helped change the tide of the game. Speaking of changing the tide of a game the first awful decision at Stoke actually got our arses into gear cos we were shit before it's all swings and roundabouts.

Why the Hell are people treating this like Coyle has just come into the job? It's not four games, the club has been in freefall since April 2011! Thats 15 out of your 18 months accounted for. I'm sick and tired of people like you trying to make me feel like I'm not a fan because I want Coyle out and if any of you actually called for Megson's head you're just the worst!!!! Every club has injuries. Hell he wasn't even playing Muamba (by far our most effective player of the 11-12 season for the little amount he played for) when everything happened and that should have given us heart to fight on motivation wise. He knew we would be without Chungy and Holden for most of the season so again it's not a valid excuse.

If we play shit I'm gonna boo! I'm not gonna let the team think they've put in a satisfactory performance when they haven't. I don't give a feck about being positive the game's over that won't do grow a fecking pair and come back better. If every fan was like you every shit manager would keep their job for life. I personally didn't boo at Forest but I understand the mentality of those who did they've watched the man drag us into the doldrums. Nothing would make me happier than seeing Coyle succeed and him proving me wrong. I don't see it but I love this club! I don't want to shroud the club in negativity and I would never support anything like Steve Kean proportions but I'm not gonna stand by and watch us slip and slide and not let my feelings be known.
Great post.
Hope is what keeps us going.

Whookam
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Whookam » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:48 pm

Eborted wrote:

:pray:

Serious head-in-sand syndrome that lad.

LufbraCraig
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by LufbraCraig » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:56 pm

Eborted wrote:

Fair response. I have accepted we were shit last season, but who do you think should come in? And what would you do if you were Coyle? I'm not Coyle's biggest fan myself and never will be, but I'm not comfortable with the hostile way of going about getting a manager out when there are no better alternatives sitting in waiting.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:58 pm

I'm better

And I'm blind
Sto ut Serviam

Eborted
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Eborted » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:12 pm

LufbraCraig wrote:
Eborted wrote:

Fair response. I have accepted we were shit last season, but who do you think should come in? And what would you do if you were Coyle? I'm not Coyle's biggest fan myself and never will be, but I'm not comfortable with the hostile way of going about getting a manager out when there are no better alternatives sitting in waiting.
I honestly think Billy Davies is a viable option and we could go trawling through other leagues to see if we could poach anyone. I'm not a football league expert so have no suggestions at hand but to be honest at this point I would give anyone a chance whose CV suggests that he's up to it. I believe Coyle has more than had his fair crack.

If I were Coyle? I'm not qualified to be a football manager and am not pretending I could do a better job but he supposedly is qualified. From what I can see our tactics seem to be befuddled we don't know what we want to be doing, caught in two minds a lot of the time and our defensive organisation has been awful for a long time now. Address that! Whether he has tried to already I don't know but it's not working obviously. Again though to reiterate I don't have all the answers but I'm not paid to have them.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:00 am

LufbraCraig wrote:I know it's got progressively worse but we should judge this season on its own.
Why? It's only continuing an existing trend. How non-temporary does form have to be before we acknowledge that being outclassed is permanent?
LufbraCraig wrote:We've only had 4 games.
It's five games. We lost the other one, at a lower division club in a game he had every intention of winning, chiefly because of his direct intervention with a substitution so cringeably awfully obviously wrong that several of us knew what was coming. Worse, he then refused to acknowledge his error, proving that he's not just mistaken, he's misguided.
LufbraCraig wrote:We beat Derby without playing well
So our record this season is W1 D1 L3, and we didn't even deserve the one win.

Makes no odds. He won't resign because he's an eternal optimist, frankly a dreamer, verging on incapable of recognising the errors of his ways, and Gartside won't sack him yet because that would seem like failure by association. It'll take two things to make up the chairman's mind, and both are bad news. The first is a wholly poisonous atmosphere at the Reebok, because under the last managership there was always voluble discontent but it took a while to reach the tipping point. Given that, the second and most crucial thing that would persuade Gartside to fire him is a month of witless defeats. I'll put the kettle on, shall I?

mrpiccollo
Promising
Promising

Post by mrpiccollo » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:08 am

the problem with booing at the end of the match is it destroys the players desire to perform for the fans you could say it may make them fight harder but honestly they will just end up resenting the fans and wanting to leave (not minding playing crap for us only to play well at the end of thier contracts akin to elmander to get a new contract elsewhere) what we should be doing is making our disgust known at the front of the stadium at home matches untill the chairman realises we need a replacement or in my oppinion an experienced assistant manager with solid defensive knowledge someone like steve bold at arsenal maybye - honestly they have been showing the prem how to defend so far this season in my oppinion, we dont have the money to chop and change managers so easily but im certain giving owen the help he needs will work out better in the longrun.

we dont need 2 cdm or to force owen to stop playing a 442 formation (i wish he would sometimes though)

what we need is each and every player to know what hes doing to defend every possibility because that extra help from a teamate at the right time can make a huge defencive gap an easy 1/2 and counterattack it sounds obvious but really we over commit so much from centre midfeild and have little pace in defence really so we allways seem to get countered to death, the reality is we are a better team that all oppositions we have faced this season so far and they know it so they play tight while we play loose and give them as many easy chances as we gain tough hard fought/ played chances its all so obvious its a wonder owen hasnty stumbled onto a working scenario yet but we all know hes not a fan of the chop and change style:p

im praying for our next starting eleven to be extremely attacking because im allready certain we wont defend well enough so here goes

Bogdan

RCB ricketts (fastest player we have that can play centre back)
CB knight (often lauded as our worst centre back in my oppinion by far our best - height strength and a solid slide tackle)
LCB alonzo ( definatly not got the ability to play lb in the prem due to a lack of pace who knows lcb may work if not ream is a lefty :P)

CDM andrews ( no nonesense style that i love but not enough quality really- though definatlyu our best defencive option)
CDM pratley ( more of an end to end player really but his workrate will work well in cdm if he doesent wander forward too much)
Both CDm's are switchable with spearing
RM CYL (needs to stay back a tad more than usual stopping his runs around the edge of the box and supporting the cdm's in clearup duty)
LM (hard choice of who to play here but personally would play wylde petrov mark davies eagles or josh vela for a different style of buildup play )

both lm and rm in this formation could be filled by mears alonzo and ricketts

CAM ( has to be eagles mark davies loses the ball to much and is to little of a goal threat to be allowed so much of the play possible position for SKD as a target man to nod on to our forwards pairing)

we have to seriously start looking at this season as giving our team a chance to change we have to let go of skd because even if we get promoted SDK wont be cutting it in the prem anyway so better to start as we mean to go on ^^

ST ( sordell has to play sorry but we have to make him work forget the lad from arsenal this season is all about marvin and ngog)
ST ( Ngog they need time to form a partnership they are our future sorry super kev but this has to be the time to lose you from our strike force)

On a side note im certain if i had this bolton team i could win us matches just by picking awkwird teams to play against or playing against other teams weaknesses to a point where we would eventually score through that or by them over committing themselves, the teams not all that bad guys give em a little bit of a break next home game and remember to remind coyle he can leave whenever he wants ^

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:23 am

mrpiccollo wrote:LM (hard choice of who to play here but personally would play wylde petrov mark davies eagles or josh vela for a different style of buildup play )
:shock:

mrpiccollo
Promising
Promising

Post by mrpiccollo » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:03 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
mrpiccollo wrote:LM (hard choice of who to play here but personally would play wylde petrov mark davies eagles or josh vela for a different style of buildup play )
:shock:
i put some thought into a post give lots of info on my oppinion and all you do as a reply is a smilie :whack:

the reason i name so many on the left is its in reality a problem area for us atm we in my oppinion need someone with the ability of cyl or a centre mid with some ability to hold and pass the ball there, i know little about greg wilde and know that petrov just wouldent cut it as he is sometimes a liability mark davies and josh vela playing there give the best option in my oppinion as the role in a 352 of the rm and lm is a very strict role basically the most difficult on the pitch so should be given to players that are competent in midfeild (centre mids are usually the most competent in midfeild areas) but alas to be a great rm/lm in this sort of formation you need ability also.

there are multiple variations of this type of formation also take a look at how napoil have been playing for the past few years and how dare i say wigan have been playing its a very difficult formation to deal with for opposition midfeilds

we could also change it up a tad to suit or current crop of player more but personally feel this is definatly the weaker of the 2 i have put forward

same back 3 as i said earlier

Rm CYL
LM Petrov

the great strength of this formation is the rw and rm players switching between each other for example petrov darts forward from lm to put the ball over = wilde drops deep to take over petrovs defensive dutys or holds an offencive pressure position not allowing free passes unchallenged = sloppy passes coming out of opposition defences easily cleared up by the 2 cdm or the back 3

Rw Eagles
LW wilde
ST (i personally dont feel we have a player to play this role as a lone striker in this formation you need ability on the ball to bring others into play sadly skd doesent have that and ngog while he has ability on the ball lacks creativity with it to bring others into the game, our best option for this would be sordell but it would be asking alot of him to be so adaptive.

keep in mind while

and

343 sound like ultra attacking formations there is a huge flip side

imagine if you will were attacking

2 centre backs and a cdm stay right back covering

that leaves 7 players attacking (thats quite alot right)

the flip side

defencivley while we may appear to be an easy target

we have 3 centre backs 2 wingers who then become fullbacks and 2 cdm to stop play around the box so we have 7 players defending in what would appear a back line of 3 centre backs and 4 across the defensive mid/ full back positions wingers doubling up with there respective cdm to cut out the tic a tac style and 3 in the box allows hopefully for opposition to rely on crosses which we would hypothetically be strong against with 3 centre backs.

its also great for counter attacks as wingers which in 343 we would have 4 of are usually pacy and skillfull at taking on a man so getting that counter attack to work can be a case of just inviting the opposition to attack and taking them down a peg or 2 the minute we regain possession.

its all speculation however as im sure we all know our next match were lining up 442 with no changes just some intensive pingpong sessions under the players belts for motivation ^^

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:35 am

I'm so glad You're not in charge Mr P. That is some serious weird stuff :shock:

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:39 am

Eborted wrote:

Why the Hell are people treating this like Coyle has just come into the job? It's not four games,
Because he has had preseason to put a team together and signed the final part of that team 3 days ago.He should have gone in November then after the wigan thing or anytime before the moo incident,then he should have gone in the summer.It is 18 months of freefall but there are obvious reasons why he is unlikely to get the boot 4 games in.

The point is he was nt gone and in showing commitment over the summer the club is rightly commited to giving him more than 4 games to show their commitment was well founded.They are as stubborn as coyle when it comes to accepting mistakes and acting on remedying them. It's understandable though.It is possible that coyle could walk anytime between now halloween.At least he could then leave with a shred of dignity.I hope he does but if not then I suspect the board will give him to mid October before making a change IF they can find a suitable replacement willing to take the job and accept the working conditions/limitations,whatever they are.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:23 am

Tweet from Gartside last night....

Absolutely gutted for our fantastic support. You deserve much better.
So far not good enough.