owen out 2012/2013

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Re: owen out 2012/2013

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:15 am

The kind of professional we've just pissed 2.5 million quid on
Sto ut Serviam

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:54 pm

thebish wrote:
Ianmooreslovechild wrote:
It's not even a relaxed approach. It's an indifferent who gives a feck approach. How the hell do you pay out 2.5 mil on someone then leave them dumped in a hotel eating burgers and going nuts. Thats blindingly short sighted.
conversely... what kind of professional sets off to a new country to play football as a professional in one of the most prestigious leagues in the world... and sits on his arse eating burgers and KFC??
How many young blokes in their early twenties when going to work in a new country wouldn't do that?

Especially ones who probably have less education than most and are earning vast sums of money?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:03 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:
Ianmooreslovechild wrote:It's not even a relaxed approach. It's an indifferent who gives a feck approach. How the hell do you pay out 2.5 mil on someone then leave them dumped in a hotel eating burgers and going nuts. Thats blindingly short sighted.
conversely... what kind of professional sets off to a new country to play football as a professional in one of the most prestigious leagues in the world... and sits on his arse eating burgers and KFC??
How many young blokes in their early twenties when going to work in a new country wouldn't do that? Especially ones who probably have less education than most and are earning vast sums of money?
Ones whose career relies on optimum physical fitness?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:37 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:
It's not even a relaxed approach. It's an indifferent who gives a feck approach. How the hell do you pay out 2.5 mil on someone then leave them dumped in a hotel eating burgers and going nuts. Thats blindingly short sighted.
How many young blokes in their early twenties when going to work in a new country wouldn't do that?
those who set off in order to play football professionally in one of the most prestigious leagues in the world??

as I have said before - don't worry - spreading some blame about for behaviour does NOT dilute your anti-coyle agenda - MORE THAN ONE thing can be wrong at the same time and MORE THAN ONE PERSON can shoulder some responsibility...

also - how does "earning vast amounts of money" relate to eating KFC and McDonalds - I'm missing that causal link...

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:08 pm

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:
those who set off in order to play football professionally in one of the most prestigious leagues in the world??

as I have said before - don't worry - spreading some blame about for behaviour does NOT dilute your anti-coyle agenda - MORE THAN ONE thing can be wrong at the same time and MORE THAN ONE PERSON can shoulder some responsibility...

also - how does "earning vast amounts of money" relate to eating KFC and McDonalds - I'm missing that causal link...
I did wonder about that too.

All those young dot com millionaires sitting round Maccy Ds of a saturday night with their teenage council estate girlfriends, trying to blend in.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:12 pm

Ream's clearly got his own responsibility to take, as was said in the thread about it at the time, he can speak the language. He's not moved to Russia.

It does show how this 'no excuses' environment has fallen away though. If you're a football manager and your reputation and career in some way depends on this bloke you've just signed, surely you'd do everything possible to make sure he settles properly?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:16 pm

Tombwfc wrote:Ream's clearly got his own responsibility to take, as was said in the thread about it at the time, he can speak the language. He's not moved to Russia.

It does show how this 'no excuses' environment has fallen away though. If you're a football manager and your reputation and career in some way depends on this bloke you've just signed, surely you'd do everything possible to make sure he settles properly?
yeah - indeed - both are to blame - and Ream looks like a tosser (IMO) for saying all he was capable of doing was eating KFC and burgers if someone didn't suggest he did otherwise...

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:25 pm

thebish wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:Ream's clearly got his own responsibility to take, as was said in the thread about it at the time, he can speak the language. He's not moved to Russia.

yeah - indeed - both are to blame - and Ream looks like a tosser (IMO) for saying all he was capable of doing was eating KFC and burgers if someone didn't suggest he did otherwise...
It's a cultural thing... he recognised that you could 'eat' a Big Mac, whereas he had no idea what Greggs does, that might be a sock shop if you're American.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:33 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
thebish wrote:

It's a cultural thing... he recognised that you could 'eat' a Big Mac, whereas he had no idea what Greggs does, that might be a sock shop if you're American.
tbf ... & arguing against my old logic that we ought to have looked after him better (which we ought) .... he was in a hotel .... with a restaurant (albeit failing it's hygene cert.). He has an American style diner-food place across the road, various other fast food places he had to pass to get to Nando's and the cold and hot food sections at Asda (OK, point taken) and Tesco's.

Plus a Greenhalgh's half a mile away, so long as he didn't ask for Meat & Potato pie. An excellent few Indian & Chinese take-aways & a googly number of Chippies. Horwich has a very broad range of restaurants too.

So .... with good (if American) English, more money than he's ever dreamt of and the ability to ask for a taxi .... there was no reason for any issues.

That there were issues was partly his owen (sic. I did, genuinely, type this !!) fault, therefore.

But that we were not dealing with them was the clubs.

Oh .... & it was castigated. I looked.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:57 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
thebish wrote:

Put me in the middle of a town, in a country i've never been to before, where i dont speak the language...and i will be able to recognise a supermarket when i see one.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:05 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
thebish wrote:

Put me in the middle of a town, in a country i've never been to before, where i dont speak the language...and i will be able to recognise a supermarket when i see one.
Now you're being obtuse. He wandered around Tesco's obviously but couldn't find any forty eight ounce steaks!
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:05 pm

Ah but wasn't he in a hotel, as opposed to self-catering? No breadboard nor nowt.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:06 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Ah but wasn't he in a hotel, as opposed to self-catering? No breadboard nor nowt.
You got me there.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:38 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Ah but wasn't he in a hotel, as opposed to self-catering? No breadboard nor nowt.
He's probably earning 10k per week. He could've moved into a rented flat 2/3 days after arriving into the country. Ream has NO excuses for not looking after himself properly. Manchester is a 25 minute train ride, or 25 minutes in a rental car. There's a million and 1 apartments to rent there. Or alternatively hotels that will cater for your every need dietary or socially.

Maybe he's just a Mollycoddled soft arse, with no concept of being an independent bloke
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:43 pm

Well, he had just got married...;)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:08 pm

I bet Nat Lofthouse didn't need his arse wiping for him by some club official...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:10 pm

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:

Nobody is taking away the personal responsibility. Look at Diouf, no matter how much mentoring and how many 'liaison officers he had available' to help him he still went off the rails from time to time here.

Players of course should be professional.

However, if a company had an asset, in this case a 2.5M employee arriving in the country, I'd expect them to do everything in their power to settle that employee down and ensure that they had the right environment and had everything available for them to perform in their job as well as possible.

Clearly individual responsibility is the ultimate factor as shown in Diouf's case.

But if you're dumped in a hotel room somewhere and just left to get on with it....I'm genuinely not surprised. Having worked abroad myself, and at a relatively young age, for the first few weeks, you really do feel "completely out of the loop".

And for all his faults, Ream doesn't strike me as a totally unprofessional arse, determined to do what he wants......

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:13 pm

thebish wrote:I bet Nat Lofthouse didn't need his arse wiping for him by some club official...
:roll:

And I bet Ream doesn't light up a ciggie in the dressing room.......

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Ream? Puff?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:50 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote: Put me in the middle of a town, in a country i've never been to before, where i dont speak the language...and i will be able to recognise a supermarket when i see one.
Exactly this. I find myself in all manner of places and have never once struggled to find a plate of decent food.
May the bridges I burn light your way