Sheffield Wednesday Away

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Sheffield Wednesday Away

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:59 pm

This from the official site on Mark Davies's goal:

"within a matter of minutes Mark Davies pounced on a loose ball, before lashing a stunning left-footed drive into the top corner to ultimately send 2,400 travelling Bolton fans home happy."

Funny that, I could have sworn Kevin Davies slid a pass down the middle to the edge of the box and M.D. twisted and turned his way past three defenders before firing home. Have to watch that again tonight. Who am I to argue with the official site?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:06 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
I notice you missed out who paid 3M for Sordell then to now be a 'better judge'.
I imagine Eddie Davies..

Best placed to judge was the quote.. in that .. he sees him every day in training.. On that basis he's entitled to bet his continued career prospects on his team selection.. rather than blathering on about it on't internet..

Don't think he's any better or worse a judge of a transfer than most - some work some don't.. pretty much averages out over a career, unless you're Arsene Wenger.. or the New York Yankees..

Grasping for shortcomings in the manager on an afternoon when we've won away from home for the first time this season and showed signs of some decent football, and the beginnings of a team.. Like I said he could be shite.. but this afternoon was I'd suggest not Exhibit A in the case against Owen Coyle.. because for all the shortcomings, it weren't half bad this afternoon..
in other news I don't think Alonso deserves half the shit he gets on here either...
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:07 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:This from the official site on Mark Davies's goal:

"within a matter of minutes Mark Davies pounced on a loose ball, before lashing a stunning left-footed drive into the top corner to ultimately send 2,400 travelling Bolton fans home happy."

Funny that, I could have sworn Kevin Davies slid a pass down the middle to the edge of the box and M.D. twisted and turned his way past three defenders before firing home. Have to watch that again tonight. Who am I to argue with the official site?

You are spot on Tango, We must have been watching a different game! :roll:

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:09 pm

It's kinder than saying "Kevin Davies scuffed his only touch of the game sideways which Mark Davies pounced on." :twisted:
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:17 pm

norm the jedi wrote: in other news I don't think Alonso deserves half the shit he gets on here either...
indeed - as i have said several times - and as i said about Knight (who people seem to have changed their minds about now..)

i still thinks Mears is a sack of unstable calamity, though...

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:27 pm

I got kicked out at 0-0. Seen with alochol in view of the pitch. Send me to the gallows.

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:32 pm

cos clearly they'll not be touchy about ground safety at Hilsboro will they ...

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:33 pm

P.O.S. wrote:I got kicked out at 0-0. Seen with alochol in view of the pitch. Send me to the gallows.

Piss head
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:33 pm

Whats fcuking unsafe about being able to see the pitch while youre supping?
Sto ut Serviam

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:40 pm

It was the same at Hull a couple of weeks ago although at least I was given the chance to get rid of my terribly offensive drink (that I bought from inside the ground anyway) before going to my seat.

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:42 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:Whats fcuking unsafe about being able to see the pitch while youre supping?
yawn i'll bite..

It breaches section 2 of the Sporting Events control of alcohol [Association football designated events] Act 1985..

This was brought in as a result of the Taylor report.. following amongst others Hilsboro..
and is designed for the maintenance of public safety... pissed up feck whits all riled up about football are generally less safe to themselves or others than sober feck whits all riled up about football and not having a beer...

it's a summary offence so you can get 6 months or a fine of up to £5000 and may even be a banning order offence..
in which case getting ejected were a result..

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:46 pm

I know all that, jobsworth

I said, 'what's unsafe about it'

If he's pissed, fair enough

If he's at in his seat having a drink, why is any less safe than when he's stood at the bar

Its safe when it's rugby, boxing or horse racing, after all
Sto ut Serviam

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:47 pm

Okay Ill ignore the pissed up feck wit bit, but whats the difference between someone buying a drink in the ground and necking it before going to their seat and someone buying a drink in the ground and taking it to their seat and taking their time to sup it?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:53 pm

norm the jedi wrote:cos clearly they'll not be touchy about ground safety at Hilsboro will they ...
No-one was drunk. Do you not listen ? NO-ONE, ever, ever was drunk at Hillsborough. Definately no Scousers anyway. If he'd been a Scouser they wouldn't had had any problem. Blimey .... no-one listens..
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:53 pm

P.O.S. wrote:Okay Ill ignore the pissed up feck wit bit, but whats the difference between someone buying a drink in the ground and necking it before going to their seat and someone buying a drink in the ground and taking it to their seat and taking their time to sup it?

Having the drink in an area where the game can be viewed is against the law..

-- (1)A person who has intoxicating liquor or an article to which this section applies in his possession—
(a)at any time during the period of a designated sporting event when he is in any area of a designated sports ground from which the event may be directly viewed, or
(b)while entering or trying to enter a designated sports ground at any time during the period of a designated sporting event at that ground,
is guilty of an offence.

drinking on the concourse and not having it on the stands isn't ..
The morality of clubs selling ale for consumption on concourses is another arguement..

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:56 pm

norm the jedi wrote:
P.O.S. wrote:Okay Ill ignore the pissed up feck wit bit, but whats the difference between someone buying a drink in the ground and necking it before going to their seat and someone buying a drink in the ground and taking it to their seat and taking their time to sup it?

Having the drink in an area where the game can be viewed is against the law..

-- (1)A person who has intoxicating liquor or an article to which this section applies in his possession—
(a)at any time during the period of a designated sporting event when he is in any area of a designated sports ground from which the event may be directly viewed, or
(b)while entering or trying to enter a designated sports ground at any time during the period of a designated sporting event at that ground,
is guilty of an offence.

drinking on the concourse and not having it on the stands isn't ..
The morality of clubs selling ale for consumption on concourses is another arguement..

Okay fair do's. Not much fun anymore watching football is it?

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:03 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:I know all that, jobsworth
If you know all that presumably the fact that it is against the law should suffice..
I said, 'what's unsafe about it'

presumably 3000 like minded individuals all enjoying an aperitif, could present more of a difficulty in public safety and public order terms than say, the towns womens guild.. There's enough footage of the 70's and 80's knocking about to suggest that football fans with a beer on board are a tad lively..
If he's pissed, fair enough
Alcohol impairs judgement apparently...
If he's at in his seat having a drink, why is any less safe than when he's stood at the bar
The bar maid is less likely to offend than Zat Knight or Owen Coyle or a rival supporter who may need to be remonstrated with..
Its safe when it's rugby, boxing or horse racing, after all
none of which have thus far required an act of parliament following mass death of spectators...
and all of which are patronised in the main by southerners, with better manners.. than us northern oiks who go to soccer matches..

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:06 pm

P.O.S. wrote:
Okay fair do's. Not much fun anymore watching football is it?
It's seldom much fun watching Bolton.. Drunk or sober :wink:

s'more a kind of penance..

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:35 pm

It's certainly a bit different over here. You can always take beer to your seat at hockey and football games, while they bring it to your seat at baseball games. As the temperature cools at football games people bring their own much stronger stimulants. I suppose people are chucked out for being drunk and disorderly (I had football season tickets for many years and never witnessed it), but not for simple possession or even being inebriated but orderly.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:39 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:

It's kinder than saying "Kevin Davies scuffed his only touch of the game sideways which Mark Davies pounced on." :twisted:
From my perspective it was neither down the middle or scuffed. He controlled the ball, saw Mavies, and passed it sideways (slightly backwards in fact). Of course Mavies did the rest which was not inconsiderable.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.