Too easy to say Coyle out. How do we go forward from here?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Too easy to say Coyle out. How do we go forward from he

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:50 pm

Coyle has certainly cut an increasingly forlorn and sad looking figure. One of the big reasons for wanting him to go is that I dont like seeing someone suffer and fail as he has been. To be honest I'm baffled as to why he is still here.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:53 pm

I agree. There really has to be more to it. We bulleted both Lee and Megson when the time was ripe, what's so different this time out?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:27 pm

Prufrock wrote:WTF?! Have none of you considered yon mon might be on the wind up?! Oh no Owen you can't resign. Also, we're forcing you to sign a new contract. And be shit at managing.
Quite

the longer he is here the odder it gets though

he is quite clearly F*CKING SH*TE

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:01 am

Lots of interesting stuff here. Please note I am not defending OC, as I said in the OP I don't think its going to turn around, I don't think he has what it takes. Those rumours about him wanting to resign numerous times certainly fit in with his history of moving clubs every two years. And he certainly seems to have lost all inspiration here, and has done since last season. It is hard to believe he wanted to resign after Stoke though, that was his best season, and everything looked pretty bright then, despite the Stoke result.

So nobody has yet suggested what type of manager and what type of plan we should go for to replace OC. Every naked Coyle out post just reiterates how easy that part is, and how difficult the next step is. So come on, have a stab, what should we do next:

Some suggestions:

1.) Young inexperienced manager, former player perhaps, a gamble based on perceived qualities from his playing days. A bit like Roy Keane at Sunderland when he took them up, but he proved not be up to it long term....
2.) An experienced manager like Alan Curbishley, may cost us more money, but may steady the ship, after all, we have one of the best squads in this league.
3.) Do we poach a promising manager from another club? Would cost money, but if we got the right choice he would be successful here.
4.) Whoever we choose, do we have a long term philosophy like we have done with BSA and OC, or do we go for a short term fix. PG seems to like the long term option after the success of BSA, but maybe we need to change our thinking?

What do we think? I think its hard. I can't see anyone there who would be an automatic success here, and many of the options would cost us money. I can't see an easy route forward to success!

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:04 am

Keith Hill
Kenny Jackett
Roy Orbison
Stevie Wonder
David Blunkett
Sto ut Serviam

IggyTheDawgster
Reliable
Reliable

Post by IggyTheDawgster » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:35 am

TKIZ! wrote:Just speaking as Devil's advocate here but just checked stats on Keane and he's got a higher win percentage than Coyle with an Ipswich side that finished just short of the play-offs in '11
He may have. But he is a vile man.
It ain't easy, Sleazy even, Deceiving those we, Believe in.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:20 am

A few more thoughts:

5.) Is proven ability to get promoted out of this league important? Possibly this is taking us down the road of Mick McCarthy. However, as much as he is proven in this league, he is a proven failure in the Prem.
6.) Do we need a team manager, or a club manager. By this I mean, do we need someone who can oversee the whole development of the club, as BSA (though he didn't really succeed with the reserves/youth set up), or just someone who can manage the first team. Perhaps we need two appointments...a general manager and a first team manager? I think PG sees OC as a club manager, though there is little evidence that he is suited to that. Of course, he is failing miserably with the first team part. Having said that, our youth squad is producing more players now than ever before, how much of this is down to OC I'm not sure?
7.) Do we need a manger to get the best out of players like CYL and Petrov (these are the world class players I was thinking of by the way!!). You may even throw in players like Ngog, Mark Davies, Eagles as having top level ability way above this league. Or should we bring in a manager used to lower level players, which would probably result in us losing these players, and having to rebuild?

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:35 am

One more:

8.) Do we go for the studious kind of manager...I'm thinking of Brendan Rogers, even Mourinho (yes I know!), but you know what I mean, someone who is keen to learn, who understands the theory of management, who might not have even been in the game as a player, someone we might not even have heard of, but someone who is ambitious about being a great manager. This, as opposed to someone who has been in the game their whole life as player/manager, but isn't necessarily intelligent but has worked under winning managers, and so has possibly picked up some winning habits to bring to their management game??

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:19 am

CAPSLOCK wrote:Keith Hill
Kenny Jackett
Roy Orbison
Stevie Wonder
David Blunkett
:lol:
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:39 am

Hi there guys, have been watching these forums for a little while, and the state of our beloved Wanderers has 'inspired' me to join in.

I have to say that I'm really worried for the Whites at the moment. There is no real confidence, OC is flagging and has no real tactical plans for when games evolve (and every game evolves) and the results we do get are purely based on the talent of the squad and nothing else.

I think it is time for Owen to go, he has clearly put a lot of his heart into managing Wanderers and whilst this might be all well and good for fandom, it's not good for the performance of the club. It's now beginning to annoy the fans, and where Megson was hated but managed to keep us in the top flight with some sort of 'giantkiller' status, Coyle has dragged us into the Championship and can't even find his level here... He's not using players that we've spent decent money on (Sordell), making our best players look jaded and out-of-sorts (Chungy, Mavies to some extent) and seems to play some he just has a soft spot for (how else can you explain Benik Afobe's continued existence in the side...)

As for going forward, I think with the quality that's clearly within the squad, an experienced manager such as Mick McCarthy or Alan Curbishley would get us going in the right direction again. They know how to adapt to different leagues, they would have a good squad to inherit, and understand tactical evolution.

One manager I would love to see at Wanderers (and it's not gonna happen unless Phil and Eddie fancy writing a massive cheque!) is Marcelo Bielsa. Insanely tactically adept, a mad genius who would get Bolton playing the kind of football Coyle wants so desperately to play. Things aren't going so well for him at Bilbao at the moment (I think he's fallen out with some players who were looking for big summer moves and didn't get them), so he could be 'available' soon... I don't think he speaks much English mind...

Realistically we could look to German football for ideas. Someone like Mirko Slomka (who is managing my 2nd team Hannover very well, and on not too dissimilar a budget to Wanderers) or Thomas Tuchel (again doing good things with a small Mainz team) would be perfect for Bolton, as there aren't many language problems with Germans (most speak some degree of English) and due to the progress made under Klinsmann's reign at the DFB, most managers in the Bundesliga are very good tactically.

We do need someone who will give the players confidence in the style they're playing, and can give Wanderers an edge in both this league and (hopefully) the Premier League too. We can't compete on financial clout even within the Championship, so we need to be smarter.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:18 am

Are you Dan's alter ego?

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:43 am

What a daft thread....how is it too easy ? its a disgrace that he's still at the club - just how many chances does the muppet get.

Get the clueless cnut out of 'our' club now, before he does even more damage. I don't care whether we win. lose or draw at Millwall because at the moment we are in more danger of being relegated than going back up under this clown. He's totally incapable of improving us - we still waste loads of easy chances, we still concede a shed load of soft goals.

He can't coach, he can't motivate, he can't organise and he's a far worse manager than Gary Megson - and he's disliked by 90% of fans who want him sacked now, and he's even now started to have a go at the fans saying they know nothing about football, just to try and distract even further from the fact that he's an awful, p*ss poor excuse of a manager.

It's one thing being rubbish in the premiership, but struggling in the championship is unforgivable - I'm astonished that the club are allowing him and his stooges to continue dragging the club down.

If Gartside won't sack him, then Eddis Davies needs to sack the pair of them.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:00 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Are you Dan's alter ego?
another dan from Berkshire :mrgreen:
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:25 am

bwfcdan94 wrote:
Oh my, what a coincidence.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:04 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
bwfcdan94 wrote:
Bitter speelinge though
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:40 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
bwfcdan94 wrote:
Bitter speelinge though
yeah, but it is easy to pretend you can't spell :wink:

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:59 pm

No, just happen to live down here and be called Dan.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:15 pm

I'm beginning to wonder if the Afobe thing is a condition of his loan spell ie He must play 'x' minutes of football. For the life of me I can't see what he adds to the team when he plays (Although admittedly I wasn't there on Tusday night when by all accounts he wasn't to bad). Poor first touch, runs into blind alleys, hasn't scored, doesn't look that quick, doesn't work hard enough when we haven't got the ball.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:29 pm

We needed someone to replace Odabeyi as the quick headless chicken.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:41 pm

Typical. What are we wasting our time with loanees for when we could be developing our own headless chickens. Coyle out.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.