Trivia Question

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Re: Trivia Question

Post by Verbal » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:54 am

But it could also transpire that the world will blow up and then it will all be ok.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:07 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:We'll have more points?

Am I missing something here?
We will. And Eddie may be tempted to save some money.

Short term ok, longer term, I'd be worried......
Yeah but, you're always worried.

He's not going to get the job full time.
Businesswoman of the year.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:23 am

CrazyHorse wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Yeah but, you're always worried.

He's not going to get the job full time.
:mrgreen: Not worried since Coyle has gone.

Feel a lot more positive about things. Bit like a weight has been lifted....

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:47 pm

In Italy it happens relatively regularly I think such is the rotation of managers.

They sack someone, get a new one in and realise it's not working, then since they're still paying the old guy just get him back in.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:24 pm

Athers wrote:In Italy it happens relatively regularly I think such is the rotation of managers.

They sack someone, get a new one in and realise it's not working, then since they're still paying the old guy just get him back in.
Really? I had never followed things closely enough in Italy to realise.

Tony Pulis was the obvious example I knew was in the back of my mind. That was with a change of owner and chairman of course - I do think it is extraordinary that our chairman should have sacked the guy once, only for things to come full circle and for him to allow him to take charge of the first team again.

Was Nat ever more than caretaker manager for us?
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:42 pm

Anyway, I was under the impression that Jiminho was the big wig, with LSL his back-up and cohort...?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:52 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
Athers wrote:In Italy it happens relatively regularly I think such is the rotation of managers. They sack someone, get a new one in and realise it's not working, then since they're still paying the old guy just get him back in.
Really? I had never followed things closely enough in Italy to realise.
He's right. They do seem to hire and fire much more quickly over there, but as Athers says, those chairmen with particularly itchy trigger fingers often find themselves rewelcoming folks they'd fired.
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Was Nat ever more than caretaker manager for us?
He did more caretaking than Tony Hart's Mr Bennett but he did also have a full-time pop at it in the late 60s, after Ridding (and before the two very short spells under Jimmys before the best Jimmy of all, Mr Armfield, whose image adorns these office walls). If I recall correctly he later said he was too soft for management - couldn't cope with letting players down, releasing kids etc – and I doubt he slept much during his time in charge, bless him.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:53 pm

truewhite15 wrote:Anyway, I was under the impression that Jiminho was the big wig, with LSL his back-up and cohort...?
Hmm - I'd like to know more about this: IIRC it was said as thus in one place but not widely. Anyone?

hi there, i'm chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by hi there, i'm chris » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:19 pm

Harry Redknapp didn't get sacked in his first spell with Pompey did he? I thought he left to go to Southampton.
http://www.twitter.com/chrisbradish" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Winter Hill White
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Winter Hill White » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:20 pm

Tony Parkes at Blackburn seemed to be a permanent caretaker manager.

Didn't Graham Taylor have second spells at both Villa and Watford? Although he probably wasn't sacked by either of them first time round.

Turkish Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Turkish Trotter » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:19 pm

Not sure but was Howard Kendall sacked at Everton before returning ??
Born to be a Wanderer!!
Some say Wisdom comes with age, I may be the exception !!

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:55 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:I am very keen that the number of times Sammy Lee is allowed to pick and set up the team is kept to an absolute minimum.

Which got me thinking of a trivia question for those with better memories than mine (and those who have more to remember): can anyone think of more examples of a club sacking its manager, only for that same man to take charge of the first team again on some future occasion?
If the Bolton News is to be believed, Lee will have at least a few games in charge. At least.

What if he wins those?

I dread to think.........
Just enough time to get the old scandinavian scouting network back up to it's old devasting best. Apparently there's a lad who looks like a seal and eats a lot of fish,amazing ball skills real crowd pleaser,whiskers,flippers the lot... sammy has his eye on him.
Oh and there's another lad who looks like a camper version of Flash Gordon,plays on the wing cos it's less muddy. Perfick :)

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:37 pm

Turkish Trotter wrote:Not sure but was Howard Kendall sacked at Everton before returning ??
Think he left of his own accord the first two times.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:22 pm

We have a winner - Wanderers legend Barry Fry. Sacked 8 times as Barnet manager apparently.

Honourable mentions to Keith Alexander and, if we agree mutual consent is really a codeword for sacked, Darren Ferguson.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

but you only WANT a short term appointment - it's the very basis on which you argued for McCarthy!!!

$huttgun
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by $huttgun » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:09 pm

It is common in Italy. Lots of clubs have been guilty of this. Palermo's Zamparini "sacked" Delio Rossi twice in one season, I seem to recall! What they technically do is put them on garden leave so they can rehire them if the temporary replacement doesn't work out. There was half a dozen other incidents of this last season and its not just the basement clubs!