Sammy Lee's Bolton v Peter Puppies' City... The Match Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

elfil76
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Sammy Lee's Bolton v Peter Puppies' City... The Match Th

Post by elfil76 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:58 pm

I wished it was on tv. Common boys... lovely job.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:59 pm

thebish wrote:
cecil.bob wrote:Whoo ha. Whens the last time we came back from two down? Ha! Coyle can lick a big one.

hmmm... do we REALLY have top let 2 in though??? is it the law now?
Wasnt it the Blackpool farce when coyle learnt that throwing caution to the wind when you arent winning is really effective. Quite a while ago!

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:59 pm

Great result. Awful start with an early goal and penalty but to come back from that and end up winning 3-2 shows that we were the better side and had a lot of character. Exactly what we needed. The scoreline doesn't tell the whole story.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:00 pm

result :)
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:01 pm

Relieved that we fought back for the win but we can't afford to give the opposition a 2 goal start. But, it's 3 points!!

As I wasn't there I have no idea how the Bristol goals were conceded. Can anyone confirm the circumstances?

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:04 pm

What's the record for penalties conceded in consecutive games? We're on 5 now, right?

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:06 pm

Ream conceded the penalty. We've lept to 15th only 5 points off the playoff places. Dizzy heights!
Bristol now one above the bottom 3 so cant get too excited by this win. However it is another start

jayneandd
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by jayneandd » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:06 pm

bedwetter2 wrote:Relieved that we fought back for the win but we can't afford to give the opposition a 2 goal start. But, it's 3 points!!

As I wasn't there I have no idea how the Bristol goals were conceded. Can anyone confirm the circumstances?
First was a bit of a wonder goal.

Second, definitely a penalty.

Dean
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Dean » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:07 pm

Well pleased with that comeback. :oyea: All we need to do now is recall Tom Eaves from Bristol Rovers...
BWFC
:pray:

Whookam
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Whookam » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:09 pm

Ianmooreslovechild wrote:Ream conceded the penalty. We've lept to 15th only 5 points off the playoff places. Dizzy heights!
Bristol now one above the bottom 3 so cant get too excited by this win. However it is another start
Do we really have to go through this again :conf:

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:09 pm

Sponge wrote:What's the record for penalties conceded in consecutive games? We're on 5 now, right?

Wow, strange. I Googled "record for penalties conceded in consecutive games" and the top result was the BBC match report for our 2–1 defeat at the hands of Norwich last year, in which our one goal came from a penalty – "...the fifth conceded by the side [Norwich] in as many games - a Premier League record - and deftly converted by Petrov...".

Whookam
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Whookam » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:10 pm

I'm pleased with the win but please let us never play that XI again. Onwards and upwards.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:18 pm

Whookam wrote:
Ianmooreslovechild wrote:Ream conceded the penalty. We've lept to 15th only 5 points off the playoff places. Dizzy heights!
Wasnt being too serious tbh,just referencing the previous comments made after previous wins ! I really should remember not to try and be ironic on here. Never works. It is another start but we've just scraped a win against a poor team at home. The stats on the game look decent. The wolves game may be more revealing and if they use the same line up we'll be up the creek.
It's good to win but it doesnt entirely feel like a fresh start.
Mind you I'm listening to a radio so no place to comment really.

ebby
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ebby » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:21 pm

Quality game I though, had everything but a sending off.

Impressed with the way we kept the ball on the ground, maybe went long once or twice, kept recycling the play and waiting for the opening rather than rushing and going direct too often.

Yes we were dodgy a few times at he back but generally we were ok,their first was class, second I thought was a dubious penalty but will need to see again.

I thought jimmy and team got the tactics spot on, just had an unlucky start, the main thing was we didn't panick and stuck to the plan.

Should be good for confidence and hopefully we can push on.

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:22 pm

Good team selection then :). Probably not in the long run but at least we might be able to use this result as a springboard post Coyle. Glad Petrov is back in the fold.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

Whookam
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Whookam » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:24 pm

Ianmooreslovechild wrote:
Whookam wrote:
Wasnt being too serious tbh,just referencing the previous comments made after previous wins ! I really should remember not to try and be ironic on here. Never works. It is another start but we've just scraped a win against a poor team at home. The stats on the game look decent. The wolves game may be more revealing and if they use the same line up we'll be up the creek.
It's good to win but it doesnt entirely feel like a fresh start.
Mind you I'm listening to a radio so no place to comment really.
Apologies then :D

I agree, we got out of jail today but this line-up cannot hope to compete with Wolves.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:29 pm

ebby wrote:Quality game I though, had everything but a sending off.

Impressed with the way we kept the ball on the ground, maybe went long once or twice, kept recycling the play and waiting for the opening rather than rushing and going direct too often.

Yes we were dodgy a few times at he back but generally we were ok,their first was class, second I thought was a dubious penalty but will need to see again.

I thought jimmy and team got the tactics spot on, just had an unlucky start, the main thing was we didn't panick and stuck to the plan.

Should be good for confidence and hopefully we can push on.
Nice to see a return to sensible substitutions rather than the usual like-for-like. Worried a little that the new regime seem to think Mark Davies can play as one of a central midfield two, though, and hope that it was because Andrews was on international duty last week rather than the preferred formation.

Guess we'll know more on Tuesday; a game I'm now looking forward to.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:33 pm

Shocking start but a great comeback and at times we played some good high tempo football, showed admirable desire and spirit and at last a will to win. We still have team with the right management & leadership can seriously do damage in this league

But saying that it highlighted for me that even after one game and a win we can't go with Phillips & Lee...this was Bristol City after all, although if that was under Coyle I doubt if we would have come back like that.

We need a 'known' respected new manager with a big personality to install confidence in this side - because IMO that's all we are lacking, confidence & belief

Tals-biggest-fan
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Tals-biggest-fan » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:36 pm

Looking cool as feck.
NEIL LENNON'S SUPERWHITE ARMY

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:36 pm

good comeback but whoever takes over has a mammoth task sorting this teams defensive side out.