Sammy Lee's Bolton v Peter Puppies' City... The Match Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Re: Sammy Lee's Bolton v Peter Puppies' City... The Match Th

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:54 pm

ChrisC wrote:Adobe needs sending back to Arsenal for me.. Get Eaves back and have our own front men in Sordell, Davies, N'gog and Eaves.

Also get Warnock signed up in January. Villa don't seem to want him so he should be cheap enough.
Agree with you on Afobe.....get Sordell in.

cecil.bob
Reliable
Reliable

Post by cecil.bob » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:06 pm

Is Eaves really that good? Or is he just on par with Afobe so it's the "we might as well get our own player in" logic.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:08 pm

Can only say what I heard and didn't see, but am a bit baffled at the Eagles comments as he seemed to be causing all kinds of havoc today (he has scored in both our last games, so???) Mears got slated by the commentators first half but seemed to have a distinctly better second. Any comments on that from those that went? All in all and after a disastrous start, it sounded a real good game. Afobe also got better comment from the box then some think, was he good or bad?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:08 pm

Adobe will never, ever, play in the first team for Arsenal in anything other than Rola Cola Cup games. I'm happy for anyone to shift this into the predictions thread.
May the bridges I burn light your way

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:10 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:
ChrisC wrote:Adobe needs sending back to Arsenal for me.. Get Eaves back and have our own front men in Sordell, Davies, N'gog and Eaves.

Also get Warnock signed up in January. Villa don't seem to want him so he should be cheap enough.
Agree with you on Afobe.....get Sordell in.
Same here... Arsenal don't seem too hot on him either (has only played for them in Pre-Season matches), can see why... He's only ever scored 5 league goals at Huddersfield when they were in League One. He has scored loads at England u-17 level but obviously that's a different kettle of fish to League football.

Whereas Sordell is no older than Afobe, but already has 25 League goals to his name.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:11 pm

FWIW, I doubt he's anywhere near as good as Afobe - and Afobe does nowt for me

But, what is your problem with the "we might as well get our own player in" logic

Unless you think it's preferable to develop somebody elses player instead of your own
Sto ut Serviam

cecil.bob
Reliable
Reliable

Post by cecil.bob » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:16 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:FWIW, I doubt he's anywhere near as good as Afobe - and Afobe does nowt for me

But, what is your problem with the "we might as well get our own player in" logic

Unless you think it's preferable to develop somebody elses player instead of your own
Look what wonders it worked for Coyle with Wilshire and Sturridge!! All the deals and favoritism we got from those clubs...

(I have no problems with that logic, just wasn't sure if it was something else I was missing...)

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:21 pm

cecil.bob wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:FWIW, I doubt he's anywhere near as good as Afobe - and Afobe does nowt for me

Look what wonders it worked for Coyle with Wilshire and Sturridge!! All the deals we and favoritism we got from those clubs...

(I have no problems with that logic, just wasn't sure if it was something else I was missing...)
Ok Afobe might not be of the same cut as Wilshere, but he's on Arsenal's books so he was an option. An option that was probably more Arsenal's choice than ours to be honest...

Sturridge was class though, and deserved more first team action at Chelski off the back of his spell here.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:23 pm

For a club like Bolton a loan needs to work both ways where we bring them on but they give something to the team.. Just look at Wilshere and Sturridge. We helped them and they helped us. With Afobe we are helping him get experience but we are getting nothing in return.

Clubs likes us cannot afford to have players like that in the team. Send him back and get Sordell in the 11. At the very least Sordell will do what Afobe does (feck all).

Am I right in thinking Sordell has more goals than Afobe? Afobe has played about 10 games this season and Sordell maybe 2?

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:25 pm

ChrisC wrote:For a club like Bolton a loan needs to work both ways where we bring them on but they give something to the team.. Just look at Wilshere and Sturridge. We helped them and they helped us. With Afobe we are helping him get experience but we are getting nothing in return.

Clubs likes us cannot afford to have players like that in the team. Send him back and get Sordell in the 11. At the very least Sordell will do what Afobe does (feck all).

Am I right in thinking Sordell has more goals than Afobe? Afobe has played about 10 games this season and Sordell maybe 2?
Yeah Marv scored against Forest, whereas Afobe has hit several conservatory windows down Chorley New Road... and wasn't allowed his ball back.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:43 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:I have to say i was questioning the mental stability of the current occupier of the hot seat at 230...442 with mark davies? isnt it obvious??

please not on tuesday!
See, you say that, but there was actually no sign that it was a disastrous decision. Bristol never threatened through the middle at all.
Oh aye. wolves away is a different prospect though.

Warnock - sign him up imo. Its a position ww needex filling cos ricketts is a right back and alonso is gash.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:39 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
truewhite15 wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:I have to say i was questioning the mental stability of the current occupier of the hot seat at 230...442 with mark davies? isnt it obvious??

please not on tuesday!
See, you say that, but there was actually no sign that it was a disastrous decision. Bristol never threatened through the middle at all.
Oh aye. wolves away is a different prospect though.

Warnock - sign him up imo. Its a position ww needex filling cos ricketts is a right back and alonso is gash.
Aye, it is, but given the 2nd half switch to a 4-5-1 and subsequent change in fortunes, I see no reason why we can't have a bit of faith in Jimmy that he'll do what we've all clamoured for, and set the team up thus away from home.

Tango - Mears looked a lot better with an actual right winger in front of him. Vastly improved.

Afobe had one Roadrunner moment where he hyperspaced past their left back and put in a half decent cross. Other than that, he was shite.

Passionate
Passionate

Post by 2399 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:20 am

Good Onya Bolton!

A Great Win!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:31 am

TANGODANCER wrote:Mears got slated by the commentators first half but seemed to have a distinctly better second.
Well, he'd taken his gloves off by then.

What the fck was that about? 16c. short sleeves & gloves.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:02 am

Good lengthy coverage on MOTD, must have got at least a full minute. Last up and just the goals. :|
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:07 am

I rewound it and watched us again to make it feel worthwhile staying up past bloody 'Clem'
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:10 am

Been out all afternoon. Just read the thread with dread. :pissed:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:24 am

3 points AND organisation, a plan B, goals, hell we can hope again!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:42 am

Athers wrote:I rewound it and watched us again to make it feel worthwhile staying up past bloody 'Clem'
aye - me too... 8) they wasted most of their time droning on about Brighton's ground...

however - Petrov took that winner well!

elfil76
Reliable
Reliable

Sammy Lee's Bolton v Peter Puppies' City... The Match Thread

Post by elfil76 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:46 am

Any videos online?