Now he's gone, who's next?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who would you like to see replacing Owen Coyle?

Alan Curbishley
12%
Paolo di Canio
7%
Billy Davies
7%
Keith Hill
4%
Roy Keane
1%
Mick McCarthy
9%
Gary Neville
8%
A rising lower-league boss (eg Micky Mellon)
9%
BWFC legend (eg Hierro/Gudni/McGinlay)
8%
Someone from abroad (eg Solskjaer)
27%
Someone from within (LSL/Jiminho/Didsy/Zico)
2%
AN Other
6%

Total votes: 128

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Now he's gone, who's next?

Post by Always hopeful » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:27 pm

Sponge wrote:I reckon he'll be great. Based on f-all, obviously.
:lol:
Hope is what keeps us going.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:28 pm

Aye, we're owed a good un!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

The Berlin Bear
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by The Berlin Bear » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:31 pm

I'm not convinced about this but he will have my full backing nonetheless.
Eisern Union!
HGW XX/7 Gewidmet, in Dankbarkeit

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:36 pm

Palace got 21 clean sheets last year. Just saying like.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:37 pm

BL3 wrote:
Ianmooreslovechild wrote:
BL3 wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:I feel for Palace though. They're a good club who I consider to be pretty much on a par with us, so easy to see why their fans would be upset.
On a par with us? In what way?
I could be wrong but arent palace a team that generally have been around championship level with a few not too distant years in the top division with crowds not dissimilar to ours according to how successful they are at the time. In terms of recent history we have been a bigger more successful club but long term we're not that far apart.
Besides i thought we liked to moan about the fans of clubs like massive city etc when they get all big and bold about the size of their clubs.
We're a club with a Premier League training set-up and stadium, not to mention parachute payments and arguably a better squad. That's all that matters to prospective managers. The rest is just bollocks but in terms of our 'long term' history there is no comparison. We are a miles bigger club.
:doh:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:46 pm

Ianmooreslovechild wrote:Remember what it was like towards the end of Allardyce's reign and for the majority of Megson's? Boring, turgid stuff. Yes, we were strong at the back and we're in a reasonably safe position in the league, but I for one was very bored with it.

Stopping the rot is important and a change is as good as a rest and all that, but from the Palace fans description of the man, I'm more than a little concerned that he's not necessarily got anything to offer. Particularly when you take away the Saha effect.

Lets see what happens.
There's a balance to be had somewhere. Solidity and flair can be had together but it will mean some of our flair players who dont defend being on the bench.There are a lot of things about freedman that sound positive to me. Having a team that is fit and less tolerance of players who cant work for the team would not be a bad thing. Likewise a commitment to developing and integrating youngsters which coyle seemed to say but never did. It's a bit of a leap of faith but were this McCarthy or Souness etc we'd all be moaning anyway. Fact is we cant have a proven top manager,there arent any on the market so Freedman is perhaps as good a bet as any. You have to trust that the noard have looked closely at what he has to offer and decided it's good enough.[/quote]
Yep, I can't disagree with anything you've said there. I guess he won't be any better/worse than anyone else. Time will tell.
Hope is what keeps us going.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:50 pm

What was it, 1 clean sheet in a whole season? Boring and turgid, yes. Solid, no.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:56 pm

This tickled me on the BBC

Dougie. Take some advice from someone who knows and negotiate a better deal with Palace. Consider the following about life in the North: Colder, Can you afford the extra heating? You won't fit in unless you have a whippet. Double Diamond not sold here. Cheesecake doesn't have icing and shredded coconut on it. Fish and Chips is Haddock, not Rock, Might have to travel a long way to find a Waitrose.

"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:22 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:What was it, 1 clean sheet in a whole season? Boring and turgid, yes. Solid, no.
You do your man a dis-service

It was 3

QPR, Arsenal and Stoke

Wasn't boring, either

How could it be with 2 goals a game flying past us
Sto ut Serviam

IggyTheDawgster
Reliable
Reliable

Post by IggyTheDawgster » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:29 am

According to the DM Freedman is as good as a done deal.
It ain't easy, Sleazy even, Deceiving those we, Believe in.

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:07 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:This tickled me on the BBC

Dougie. Take some advice from someone who knows and negotiate a better deal with Palace. Consider the following about life in the North: Colder, Can you afford the extra heating? You won't fit in unless you have a whippet. Double Diamond not sold here. Cheesecake doesn't have icing and shredded coconut on it. Fish and Chips is Haddock, not Rock, Might have to travel a long way to find a Waitrose.

Some good points there, at last a post with some decent analysis and incite. :D

But as I said many pages back I don't understand why he would consider jumping ships in our direction. I thought the same about Coyle as well. However, it could be the personal money or the significant challege or just that he is pissed off because Palace haven't yet offered him a new contract (may be for very good footballing reasons though!).

Can't see it being a large transfer budget as we don't have any money, or the aged players we have no matter how good/bad they are, but it could be that we have a few very good young players on the fringe of the team and even more on the way up with our "reserves" top of their league by 8 points at present.

He may see an opportunity to build a new young team from within and may have the inner confidence that he can make it work, but then Coyle felt that as well I guess.

If he does come the best of luck to him as we need our new manager to be successful or the crowd will soon get at him.

A very big risk for him and us in my humble opinion.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

Phil Browns Fake Tan
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Phil Browns Fake Tan » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:23 am

Hi all - This is my first post, bit of a long one but....

I do think Dougie is a risk, but then any manager that we appoint will have some element of risk to it, but he worth taking a chance. From what I have seen Freedman managed to keep clean sheets in around a third of the matches he managed, thats with a team struggling the the Championship. He tends not to loose too many games but draws more than he wins. This is with a Palace team that nearly disapeared from football three or four years ago. Bolton will always score goals with that team in the Championship, I think once the defence leaking goals is resolved then the points will really begin to clock up. In fact now that Coyles gone I believe that this will be resolved on the training pitch under Jimmy and Sammy. More match prep and game analysis is occuring, plus taylored training plans re-introduced and this can really only be a good thing.

I was under the impression that Sammy was to be kept as first team coach / assistant under the new manager, hopefully Jimmy and Julien are kept there too. The passion that they showed on Saturday can only rub off onto the players plus they are top coaches that know the club inside out; some rate Sammy as one of the best coaches around which I can only wonder why Coyle never untalised him.

I think this proposed management structure is strong and can deliver short term promotion whilst putting into place a long term plan that involves both integrating our promising youth players and provide stability for the club. The academy is begining to prosper under the various ex-Wanderers teams and I do believe that in all the future is bright. Think that if we have the right team in place who can bring OUR youth through, what we can produce in three or four years time when our current under 18's team is ready to step up.

Dougie, Jimmy and Sammy all care about youth and integrating and nuturing young players into the first team, I am hoping this is our next management trio. Dougie definately has many positive attributes that is what I would look for in our next manager (solid defence, youth integration, organisation, match prep, working on a low budget, long term planning etc), he has demonstrated these with a low budget struggling team, imagine what he can do with a team full of talent with more financial flexability.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:09 am

I'm bewildered by us trying for Freedman. He has achieved little if anything that I can see. In fact, if he wasn't a bit of a Palace legend I'm not sure he'd still be there looking at his record. This has disaster written all over it and goes against Gartside's "we must get promoted this season" mantra :?

Joggers Nipple
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Joggers Nipple » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:01 am

Funny really but I feel just as I did when we appointed Rioch 'Uninspired' - and look what a disaster he turned out to be!

You just never know..

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:27 am

I'd actually be quite impressed if we persuaded him to come here. As mentioned previously in the thread, he's got it pretty cushy at Palace so it would be a decent 'sell' to get him.
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:27 am

I'm not a happy bunny.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:30 am

Heard a few rumours that Palace are planning on making him a counter offer. So this deal may not be done and dusted yet.

My gut feeling IF he does come is that we might have bagged ourselves a younger version of Rioch. Hearing his approach to running the club from top to bottom and his attitude to fitness and discipline.....

Clearly its a big step for him to take, and if he takes it, I hope that he can cope with the extra expectation and probably a group of more "highly strung" players.

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:46 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:I'm not a happy bunny.
Leopard?
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

Martin_Cruise
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Martin_Cruise » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:51 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Heard a few rumours that Palace are planning on making him a counter offer. So this deal may not be done and dusted yet.

My gut feeling IF he does come is that we might have bagged ourselves a younger version of Rioch. Hearing his approach to running the club from top to bottom and his attitude to fitness and discipline.....

Clearly its a big step for him to take, and if he takes it, I hope that he can cope with the extra expectation and probably a group of more "highly strung" players.
I'd rather have a young Allardyce. Rioch was great at Middlesbrough and Bolton in the 2nd and 3rd tiers but in two seasons of top flight management he was sacked by Arsenal and relegated with Middlesbrough.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:02 am

Martin_Cruise wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Heard a few rumours that Palace are planning on making him a counter offer. So this deal may not be done and dusted yet.

I'd rather have a young Allardyce.
Rioch was great at Middlesbrough and Bolton in the 2nd and 3rd tiers but in two seasons of top flight management he was sacked by Arsenal and relegated with Middlesbrough.
Well indeed. But I'm sure he's his own man. Just a sort of feel I get from what people say about him.

I think its a bit of a step into the unknown.