Now he's gone, who's next?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who would you like to see replacing Owen Coyle?

Alan Curbishley
12%
Paolo di Canio
7%
Billy Davies
7%
Keith Hill
4%
Roy Keane
1%
Mick McCarthy
9%
Gary Neville
8%
A rising lower-league boss (eg Micky Mellon)
9%
BWFC legend (eg Hierro/Gudni/McGinlay)
8%
Someone from abroad (eg Solskjaer)
27%
Someone from within (LSL/Jiminho/Didsy/Zico)
2%
AN Other
6%

Total votes: 128

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Now he's gone, who's next?

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:29 pm

Verbal wrote:He's been here long enough.

Freedman out.

:lol:

Post of the day.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:32 pm

There lies the problem.

Not one manager will get the approval of all fans.

Some have written him off already and can't understand why Jimmy Phillips isn't given a chance.

There is a poll floating around with the majority of people voting for Jimmy, after 1 game? Do the same poll tomorrow should we lose tonight.

Picking a manager isn't our decision nor should it be. Let's stop this bollocks and give the man a) a chance b) our support.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:33 pm

DJBlu wrote:There lies the problem.

Some have written him off already and can't understand why Jimmy Phillips isn't given a chance.

There is a poll floating around with the majority of people voting for Jimmy, after 1 game? Do the same poll tomorrow should we lose tonight.

Picking a manager isn't our decision nor should it be. Let's stop this bollocks and give the man a) a chance b) our support.
This.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:34 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Christ he's not even agreed to come yet......

I was joking, man!
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

football247
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by football247 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:35 pm

Barefoot Wanderer wrote:
football247 wrote:I forgot to add about Freedman

He's absolutely mad on fitness, the amount of trialists and potential signings weve turned down because they were not fit enough was getting silly, us palace Fans used to joke that even mo Farrah wouldnt be up to scratch, so If you have any players who have a poor attitude or are unfit then they will be shown the door.
does Freedman go for the science, sports psychology, prozone stats?

what are his methods?
Im not sure to be honest how much he's into prozone etc, he seems to be a defensive minded manager and likes developing young payers, he seems to be a manager who will put his arm around the players and encourage them rather than shout.

Last season we played 451, with 3 defensive midfielders, 1 winger and a striker, it was really boring to be honest, even our chairman apparently was frustrated at the boring tactics and once our defensive coach Tony Popovich left to manager a team in Australia our really mean defence wasnt so great.

This season we finaly signed another winger and a creative midfielder and still play 451 but more attacking, its much better to watch but now we seem a bit weak at the back.

He seems to me to be a good manager to keep a team up but whether he's a manager to get promotion im not sure

One good point about Freedman is on the whole he has made some good signings and seems to know a quality player when he sees one.
Last edited by football247 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:38 pm

Thanks, football247. Two wingers and a creator, sounds like 4-2-3-1, a popular and successful system.

I see you boys are being linked with good old Steve Coppell again – would that be the fifth time or something similar?

Anyway, the BBC website has faithfully written up the claim from BBC Manchester that Freedman WILL take over this week. Nothing much new there, just some pictures and pullquotes.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:40 pm

Hang on...
So the time to voice an objection to potential candidates has passed now has it? Is there some kind of managerial opinion window that has suddenly slammed shut that I wasn't aware of?
Businesswoman of the year.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:41 pm

Into fitness? Thats Mark Davies fecked then.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:43 pm

Verbal wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Christ he's not even agreed to come yet......

I was joking, man!
I know........ :grin:

Chrisfu
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Chrisfu » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:45 pm

Verbal wrote:He's been here long enough.

Freedman out.
Haha, why change the habit of a lifetime? ;)

On a serious note, I like the cut of his jib. Sure he's not achieved much so far, but he's got some fire in his belly, some experienced back room staff, a hold of the now current methods of coaching (ProZone, ice-baths, Allardyce-style back-room mechanics), and favours making the most of the youth. One look at our current U18 setup should fill him with confidence in our direction (7 wins, one draw, no losses).

I won't go out on a limb and say I feel he'll be our new messiah, but I do think the outlook will be good over the next couple of years, even if we don't secure immediate promotion. Definitely would be the first forward-thinking manager we've had since Allardyce, and hopefully one that doesn't bring in players like Konstantinos Konstantinidis to pay for his sons conservatory.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:45 pm

Nah man, course you can object. I guess in times like these when a club is in flux opinions and moods are very volatile for reasonable, er, reasons. People just want to simmer them down.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:47 pm

I note that Freedman was born three weeks after me. Another rite of passage, when you become older than your team's manager.

Freedman would be the youngest Bolton manager since Phil Neal, who was 34 when he arrived.

He'd also be the first Bolton manager born in the 70s. Coyle was born in 1966, Megson and Lee in 1959, Allardyce 1954, Todd and McFarland 1948, Rioch 1947, Neal 1951, Wright 1938. That should cover off most posters...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:51 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
DJBlu wrote:There lies the problem.

This.
^ not this.

there is a difference between discussing what a potential manager might or might not bring to the club - and a) not giving him a chance or b) not giving him our support.

:crazy:

Barefoot Wanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Barefoot Wanderer » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:39 pm

football247 wrote:
Barefoot Wanderer wrote:
football247 wrote:I forgot to add about Freedman

He's absolutely mad on fitness, the amount of trialists and potential signings weve turned down because they were not fit enough was getting silly, us palace Fans used to joke that even mo Farrah wouldnt be up to scratch, so If you have any players who have a poor attitude or are unfit then they will be shown the door.
does Freedman go for the science, sports psychology, prozone stats?

what are his methods?
Im not sure to be honest how much he's into prozone etc, he seems to be a defensive minded manager and likes developing young payers, he seems to be a manager who will put his arm around the players and encourage them rather than shout.

Last season we played 451, with 3 defensive midfielders, 1 winger and a striker, it was really boring to be honest, even our chairman apparently was frustrated at the boring tactics and once our defensive coach Tony Popovich left to manager a team in Australia our really mean defence wasnt so great.

This season we finaly signed another winger and a creative midfielder and still play 451 but more attacking, its much better to watch but now we seem a bit weak at the back.

He seems to me to be a good manager to keep a team up but whether he's a manager to get promotion im not sure

One good point about Freedman is on the whole he has made some good signings and seems to know a quality player when he sees one.
something OC has failed to do consistently, N'Gog, Mears, etc. except a few exceptions like Wilshere and Sturridge OC's eye for a good player has been dreadful.

Looks like DF is on his way according to radio (Saturday), sorry we had to pinch him from you, I think he has serious potential and you might be playing him down a little? Wouldn't blame you for that - I know his experience doesn't measure up to some of the candidates wafted around for the Bolton job but for the present he is over achieving with the squad he's got at the mo. and he's showing some good qualities which we could do with after OC!

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:49 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I note that Freedman was born three weeks after me. Another rite of passage, when you become older than your team's manager.

Freedman would be the youngest Bolton manager since Phil Neal, who was 34 when he arrived.

He'd also be the first Bolton manager born in the 70s. Coyle was born in 1966, Megson and Lee in 1959, Allardyce 1954, Todd and McFarland 1948, Rioch 1947, Neal 1951, Wright 1938. That should cover off most posters...
And the first manager younger than me as well. Thanks for sharing that with us.

:whack: -> DSB
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:56 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I note that Freedman was born three weeks after me. Another rite of passage, when you become older than your team's manager.
that moment came, for me, with Coyle...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:57 pm

Chrisfu wrote:
On a serious note, I like the cut of his jib. Sure he's not achieved much so far, but he's got some fire in his belly, some experienced back room staff, a hold of the now current methods of coaching (ProZone, ice-baths, Allardyce-style back-room mechanics), and favours making the most of the youth. One look at our current U18 setup should fill him with confidence in our direction (7 wins, one draw, no losses).
do we know this??

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:58 pm

malcd1 wrote:

And the first manager younger than me as well. Thanks for sharing that with us.

:whack: -> DSB

And me. Although Coyle's only a year older. :?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:08 pm

Palace fans are calling him "Dougie GREEDman"

More inventive than "Judas" I suppose......

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:19 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Palace fans are calling him "Dougie GREEDman"

More inventive than "Judas" I suppose......

Christ he's not even agreed to come yet.......