The Tykes Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

midlands exile
Promising
Promising

Re: The Tykes Thread

Post by midlands exile » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:08 pm

Vertigo wrote:Enough Coyle talk. This is Dougies result and it isn't good enough.
It may be, but Dougie has to work with a squad that Coyle has been taking backwards for god-knows-how-long. The apparent lack of tactical, defensive, fitness and conditioning work that was going on (from the recent interviews with players) means that Dougie is playing catch-up badly, a bit like starting the season with no pre-season training.

Still unbeaten too, so hopefully early days and small steps - reckon we should get into top gear by this time next month, just in time for the Christmas period.

Although, I'll admit I haven't seen today's performance, so happy to have my blind optimism pulled apart by any first hand witnesses!

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:12 pm

This was a game we should have won and from the way it sounds we played, we could have won it too. Our problem is a lack of goals up front. We need a natural goalscorer who can put away these games. Davies, N'Gog, Sordell and Afobe are not goalscorers and can't be relied upon.

The most league goals Davies has got in the league is 12 in 2008/9 for us. The only time he's ever scored more than 10 in a season was for Chesterfield.

The most league goals N'Gog has got is 5 in an entire season, and that's playing for a quality side like Liverpool with the likes of Gerrard providing.

Afobe got 5 on loan for Huddersfield in 28 games.

Sordell's best was 12 out of 42 games for Watford.

None one of these 'strikers' can be relied upon to get us the required amount of goals. We need a striker who can put away the chances we create, which is up there with the best sides in the league. With the amount of chances we create, a goal a game striker is not unrealistic. At least, you'd expect us to be able to have a strike rate of over 50%. The strikers we have are way, way below that.

Jez
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jez » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:14 pm

Feels like the result that killed the last hope of promotion

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:20 pm

Can't wait for the usual experts to tell us that it's really a point gained because we would have lost that game with Coyle in charge...

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:36 pm

The only upside for me is we apparently played better and we didn't lose. You can't win every game and even though wins are important, if we did go on a good streak, we'd look back and think "it was just a blip". This game on it's own isn't significant and if we played well and defended better, the fact we're showing improvement is a good thing and if you do that, results will come.

The positive is that we didn't lose, and Freedman has made us far more solid than we were in the past. That's now four games under Freedman where we've picked up points in every one. Today should have been three but as long as we aren't losing, that's a positive.

There's still a long way to go. If the team is playing better, that's a reason to be positive. The results will come.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:36 pm

From the sound of it we hit the keeper about half a dozen times. By the end, taking the dog out in the wet and dark was almost a pleasure.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:37 pm

I don't think we're good enough to reach the play-offs this time round......and we're only in November.

Eddie Davies must be thinking we got rid of the wrong fat f*cker five years ago......WHU's gain, I suppose.
Troll and proud of it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:42 pm

Poor result.

We are set up well, organised and look far fitter.

Not much more Freedman can do.

The issue is we didn't take our chances and key players like Mark Davies and Eagles IMO were very wasteful.

Kevin Davies scored, but was just doesn't offer enough movement.

Spearing very wasteful in possession, not impressed really.

Think the priority is quickly becoming finding a striker who can play that lone striker role but offer a bit more pace, movement and goal threat.

Frustrating because we are actually very close to a decent side but at the same time a million miles away.......

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:44 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:The positive is that we didn't lose
We didn't lose at home to a team that had lost their last four and were in the bottom four. There are no 'positives'.

Porrohman
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Porrohman » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:44 pm

Jez wrote:Feels like the result that killed the last hope of promotion
:lol: :lol:
The voices in my head may not be real...but they have some great ideas!

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:45 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Poor result.

We are set up well, organised and look far fitter.

Not much more Freedman can do.

The issue is we didn't take our chances and key players like Mark Davies and Eagles IMO were very wasteful.

Spearing very wasteful in possession, not impressed really.

Think the priority is quickly becoming finding a striker who can play that lone striker role but offer a bit more pace, movement and goal threat.

Frustrating because we are actually very close to a decent side but at the same time a million miles away.......
I agree with a lot of this.

We need a potent striker. Someone who is able to lead the line on his own and get around a goal per game. If we had signed Jordan Rhodes instead of Blackburn, he'd have got us so many more points. That's the type of striker we need, a genuine goal threat with good movement.

PC1978
Promising
Promising

Post by PC1978 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:51 pm

Can't remember the last time a draw felt more like a defeat.

Oh wait........ Now I remember!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:52 pm

Isn't N'gog supposed to do that role? Not sure why the man who did score (and who isn't supposed to be any use anyway) consistently gets the flack. But for his goal we'd have lost. Mark Davies, and Chugy, and Eagles, all hit the keeper with shots. The real problem is that we need to stop thinking we're better than the other sides in here, we aren't, at least not right now, and that there is such a thing as an easy game. We get in front and then, time after time, concede softish goals and either draw or lose. It's a fact, and that's what needs addressing. I'm sure Douggie knows it, but he must be feeling pretty fed up right now.

Jez
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jez » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:53 pm

Porrohman wrote:
Jez wrote:Feels like the result that killed the last hope of promotion
:lol: :lol:
The last tiniest stupidest glimmer of hope I mean, not that I was expecting us to go up before today...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:55 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:

Isn't N'gog supposed to do that role? Not sure why the man who did score (and who isn't supposed to be any use anyway) consistently gets the flack. But for his goal we'd have lost. Mark Davies, and Chugy, and Eagles, all hit the keeper with shots. The real problem is that we need to stop thinking we're better than the other sides in here, we aren't, at least not right now, and that there is such a thing as an easy game. We get in front and then, time after time, concede softish goals and either draw or lose. It's a fact, and that's what needs addressing. I'm sure Douggie knows it, but he must be feeling pretty fed up right now.
Did you see the game? Ngog wasnt playing up front.

Come and watch the games live and see how little movement Davies offers us.

Took his goal well but there were two other chances he should have probably put away.

And one cross he failed to attack and stood watching a good cross drift past him.

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:58 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:We are set up well. Not much more Freedman can do.
BWFC_Insane wrote:Ngog wasnt playing up front. Come and watch the games live and see how little movement Davies offers us.

PC1978
Promising
Promising

Post by PC1978 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:59 pm

I think KD should be used as an impact sub personally. Can still do a very good job for us but not for the full 90. He will always be a hero though.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:00 pm

still - it could be wore - we could have wound up with Mark Hughes! 8)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:03 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: Did you see the game? Ngog wasnt playing up front.
Come and watch the games live and see how little movement Davies offers us.
Took his goal well but there were two other chances he should have probably put away.
And one cross he failed to attack and stood watching a good cross drift past him.
I don't get to games any more because of age and expense. I bow to your expertise.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:05 pm

So, which team fecked up my accumulator for £126?!?

fecking shite performance......highlight? The steward getting hit in the face at half time.