The Tykes Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Re: The Tykes Thread

Post by enrdentw » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:06 pm

Where Dougie let himself down today was making the Butterfield for Andrews substitution with 30minutes to go.

We was crying out for a Klasnic.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:07 pm

Disappointed not to have won but on the balance of play a draw was a fair result.

It's obvious that Dougie's priority at the moment is making us tighter at the back. We do look better defensively as a unit but it is to the detriment of our attacking play at the moment.

Talk of someone like a Jordan Rhodes type making a difference is a nonsense imo. Playing with 1 up top as a target man, our best chances are likely to fall to the attacking midfielders.

We took a while to get going but at 1 up the ref (who had an absolute shocker by the way) stopped the game for a free kick for us when Ngog was clean through. A little later, Warnock went off and we seemed to surrender the initiative, although I never felt in any real danger from them (where I was sat, even their goal looked like it was going wide at first)

4 games in and 0 defeats. a slow but positive start. Will do for me
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:08 pm

BL3 wrote:Can't wait for the usual experts to tell us that it's really a point gained because we would have lost that game with Coyle in charge...
No you're right BL3 Coyle would have won that. Infact I'm sure he'd have turned it all round by now. This freedman bloke is clueless with all this stupid training nonsense and moonshine about defending as a team and being fit. Doesnt he realise it's luck that wins games and arm waving, lots of arm waving and shouting,especially the shouting,proper manager shouting like"come on lads" and "score a goal" and "Shoot" and such like . I'd like to see freedman waving his arms and shouting more like a real football manager would.This emphasis on organising the team is just a fools errand.He looks silly in that suit aswell with that old fella whispering in his ear.Shorts are way more effective.How can he expect the players to perform and respect him when he keeps telling them to get fitter and makes them do more training. The boys cant like that. It'll kjill the exceptional team spirit which was the hallmark of the coyle team.

Back on planet earth another game we should have won,we are heading in the right direction.Just desperately need a goalscorer and ideally a defense that can focus for 90 mins.

I blame todays draw squarely on the shoulders of Butterfield. Freedman brought that piece of crap in and it's undermining the quality squad that coyle assembled.

Freedman out. Come back OCD you were ace.
Last edited by Ianmooreslovechild on Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:10 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:.....highlight? The steward getting hit in the face at half time.
:lol: You tight git! He's about 70!!

Highlight for me was the n0b behind me getting a warning for his language off a steward. Of course that meant we had 10 minutes of "I'll effin swear if I want to" :roll:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

PC1978
Promising
Promising

Post by PC1978 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:13 pm

I don't like the way that we stand off teams until they get about 20 yards out. We let teams have too many long shots and play too many passes in our half. If we won the ball a bit further up the pitch then the counter attacking game would be much more effective.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:14 pm

Ianmooreslovechild wrote:
BL3 wrote:Can't wait for the usual experts to tell us that it's really a point gained because we would have lost that game with Coyle in charge...
No you're right BL3 Coyle would have won that. Infact I'm sure he'd have turned it all round by now. This freedman bloke is clueless with all this stupid training nonsense.Doesnt he realise it's luck that wins games.

Back on planet earth another game we should have won,we are heading in the right direction.Just desperately need a goalscorer and ideally a defense that can focus for 90 mins.

I blame todays draw squarely on the shoulders of Butterfield. Freedman brought that piece of crap in and it's undermining the quality squad that coyle assembled.

Freedman out. Come back OCD you were ace.
Spot on

Slow and steady progress will do me
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:14 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:.....highlight? The steward getting hit in the face at half time.
:lol: You tight git! He's about 70!!

Highlight for me was the n0b behind me getting a warning for his language off a steward. Of course that meant we had 10 minutes of "I'll effin swear if I want to" :roll:
Got him flush in the face......is he ok?

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:16 pm

plymouth wanderer wrote:Slow and steady progress will do me
What progress?

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:19 pm

PC1978 wrote:I don't like the way that we stand off teams until they get about 20 yards out. We let teams have too many long shots and play too many passes in our half. If we won the ball a bit further up the pitch then the counter attacking game would be much more effective.
I assume the very reason you let teams come on is to create the space to counter attack. He played Pratley further up to do the job you mention against well organised strong teams. If anything as a tactic it kills the game and makes counterattacking far less likely as the opposition maintain their shape.

Jez
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jez » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:20 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Talk of someone like a Jordan Rhodes type making a difference is a nonsense imo.
Half time in Peterborough vs Blackburn with the score at 0-3 and Jordan Rhodes with two to his name so far can only make you wonder :(

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:20 pm

BL3 wrote:
What progress?
Must be some, but six points off Cardiff, Leicester, Blackpool and Barnsley doesn't feel much like it. I'll keep hoping.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:25 pm

enrdentw wrote:Where Dougie let himself down today was making the Butterfield for Andrews substitution with 30minutes to go.

The lad's barely played in a year ... I'd not be surprised if there's an arrangement with Norwich not to push him too hard. too early.

What it did, finally, once & for all, was that we may as well select Julie Andrews than Keith coz the moment the swap happened midfield went from tight & controlled to useless.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:26 pm

BL3 wrote:
What progress?
Troll troll troll troll.........
Villagers do love a bit of wumming dont they just or are you just clinically insane BL3

Next I expect you will claim the tory privatisation of public utilities was done for the benefit of consumers, that foreign ownership of water companies has no bearing on price increases, the bankers ,who always did a sterling job are not in any way responsible for the current economic crisis, that black is white, the pope isnt catholic and does shit in the woods, Elvis is still alive, Hitler was misunderstood,Hannibal Lecter was a vegetarian.....

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:29 pm

We are utter shite

why freedman has left palace to pick up THE MESS LEFT BY COYLE is beyond me

barnsley unlucky with a point!

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:32 pm

officer_dibble wrote:We are utter shite

£££££££

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:38 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
enrdentw wrote:Where Dougie let himself down today was making the Butterfield for Andrews substitution with 30minutes to go.

The lad's barely played in a year ... I'd not be surprised if there's an arrangement with Norwich not to push him too hard. too early.

What it did, finally, once & for all, was that we may as well select Julie Andrews than Keith coz the moment the swap happened midfield went from tight & controlled to useless.
I agree with the idea of taking Butterfield off due to his fitness, what I didn't agree with was the tactical sentiment behind the change. I didn't see the bench but a like-for-like would have been the correct decision. Putting on Andrews was like telling Keith Hill "we are going to try and defend a 1-0 lead for the next 30minutes, come and have a go at us...".

It was a poor decision but one we will have to get used to with Dougie as that is his style of management, however, you need a solid back four to defend and soak up the pressure. We don't have that.

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Gail Platz » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:40 pm

How many fecking times did we shoot straight at the goalkeeper? I don't think their goalkeeper had to move to make any kind of save, he just stood there and caught them all.

I don't think the players are good enough and the midfield isn't linking with the forward(s). Ngog was awful but was played out of position, Kevin Davies did OK in my opinion, it was one of those many days where he comes up against a total arsewipe of a referee that gives free kicks against him every time the ball goes near him. Took his goal well and won a few flick ons but there's no urgency in midfield to help and support him. If we're going to play 4-5-1 then the midfield need to link up, and I'm looking at the likes of Eagles and M Davies here, neither did that today.

Loyal White
Promising
Promising

Post by Loyal White » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:42 pm

I think the biggest issue we face at present is out mind set as a club.

People keep saying that we should be hammering teams like Barnsley. Absolute twaddle.

This league is a hard tough slog, you don't turn up and beat anyone.

Sooner our players, staff and fans accept this, the sooner we'll get out of our predicament.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:43 pm

officer_dibble wrote:We are utter shite

It sounded like we looked pretty good in spells again.Is it really a squad that isnt good enough or just a squad which can be good enough with proper management?

I tend to think the latter though a few players need to move on and we need to bring a couple in.
It will take time for things to really pick up. Fitness and good habits dont come about overnight when theyve been absent for 18 months plus.

Freedman is here because he believes long term it s a better prospect than palace. The fact palace are still doing so well is testament to the strength of what he and lawrence put together there and the structure organisation they put in place. It'll take time to do the same for us. It feels like we have direction now but the playoffs this year may be a bonus. Next season will be the time to start making judgements on what freedman is doing, not this season.

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:48 pm

Loyal White wrote:I think the biggest issue we face at present is out mind set as a club.

People keep saying that we should be hammering teams like Barnsley. Absolute twaddle.

This league is a hard tough slog, you don't turn up and beat anyone.

Sooner our players, staff and fans accept this, the sooner we'll get out of our predicament.
Agree.