The Tykes Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Tykes Thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:47 pm

I will say this again, Mark Davies will never ever ever make an attacking midfield player.

How many shots did he have straight at the keeper yesterday? How many times did he take an extra touch rather than shooting or passing and the move broke down?

He just doesn't work in the role behind the striker. In that role you need goals, and assists, and plenty of them. Mark Davies will get a few of both but nowhere near the amount required.

I'm not convinced about what role he should be playing in, but I don't think it works when he's behind a striker.

Personally Eagles does that role best in an attacking sense, and Pratley is the best we've got off the ball in terms of pressing and chasing.

Butterfield plays that too but is clearly rusty on the ball currently.

For me once we moved Davies further forwards yesterday things started to unravel a bit....
Last edited by BWFC_Insane on Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PC1978
Promising
Promising

Post by PC1978 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:00 pm

It seems obvious to me that DF sees MD as a central midfielder.

Loyal White
Promising
Promising

Post by Loyal White » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:24 pm

MD is that typical English quandary where he has technical ability but doesn't appear to fit into any formation. Whether this is due to tactical flexibility or his own inability is another matter.

Like BWFCI says, he doesn't seem to contribute enough goals/assists to play behind the striker.

But playing centre-mid, he goes missing far too often and doesn't take enough responsibility to make himself available for the pass often enough.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing how we play without him.

PC1978
Promising
Promising

Post by PC1978 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:55 pm

I quite agree but MD does seem to TRY to tackle more and together with his recent positioning on the pitch, I would say that DF is trying to mould him into a centre mid. Perhaps he has seen something in him in training.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:28 pm

It were fvcking shit.. Only saving grace was the 4 pints (thanks Worthy4England!)

It was worse than Leicester and that was fvcking shit too.

Not sure I can be arsed wathing a team that's so scared of losing that they don't look to win

I'm sure the rose tinters will see us holding Barnsley to a point at home as 'progress'
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

lovethesmellofnapalm
Reliable
Reliable

Post by lovethesmellofnapalm » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:48 pm

funny how a squad that needed only DIRECTION and ORGANISATION when Coyle was in charge have gone to being OBVIOUSLY NOT GOOD ENOUGH now.
they were shit then then and they're still shit. results dont lie.
"A child of five would understand this- send someone to fetch a child of five"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:15 pm

Yeah, but Freedman has a 25% win percentage and 3/4's of his matches have been home games, so for some reason that makes him ace

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:36 pm

boltonboris wrote:Yeah, but Freedman has a 25% win percentage and 3/4's of his matches have been home games, so for some reason that makes him ace
Fecking hell he's had 4 games and not lost yet.

All those threads laughing at deluded Newcastle, Sunderland and Liverpool fans.....get rid.

We are a bigger embarrassment.

Nobody is saying he's ace, but he's broadly done what people wanted gone 4-5-1, made us hard to beat and worked on fitness and organisation.

I have more faith that we can convert these performances into wins than the haphazard free for all ones previously.

If you don't then fine. But it's four fooking games and we've not lost yet.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:48 pm

Bloody tetchy on this site today !!

It's like the Megson days.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:54 pm

We've only won once.. To be honest, I think he'll do a good job eventually.. Certainly better than the last bloke, but I'm not going to kid myself that it's going to be anything other than boring as fvck on the way. I've read people say that we played well in parts yesterday. I don't leave games early, never have. But could honestly have just binned it off on the hour mark to do anything else.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:55 pm

Also do you think a 25% win percentage is adequate for a new manager when 75% if his matches have been home games?

tripod
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by tripod » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:06 pm

boltonboris wrote:Also do you think a 25% win percentage is adequate for a new manager when 75% if his matches have been home games?

FFS he's had four games! After the previous fcukwit in charge i'd say 4 games unbeaten is a minor miracle

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:06 pm

I agree it were shit

but im not talking win % after 4 games!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:06 pm

boltonboris wrote:Also do you think a 25% win percentage is adequate for a new manager when 75% if his matches have been home games?
Its a slightly ludicrous stat to use after 4 games. If he maintains that across the season, then no. However had that shot hit the post and come back out and we'd have won 1-0 yesterday, he'd have had a 50% win record. I'd not be getting the bunting out then and certainly I'm not doing now.

It probably will be a long slog, but I don't think there are any easy options here.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Its a slightly ludicrous stat to use after 4 games. If he maintains that across the season, then no. However had that shot hit the post and come back out and we'd have won 1-0 yesterday, he'd have had a 50% win record. I'd not be getting the bunting out then and certainly I'm not doing now.

It probably will be a long slog, but I don't think there are any easy options here.
to be fair to your detractors - you DID used to suggest it was all fairly easy - and that with our obviously cut-above premiership squad, all it needed to start ripping up the championship would be a manager who could just do the basics of organising the players...

maybe you've now changed your mind - if so, fair enough - but you did bang on with that message for an awful long time...

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:29 am

Talk of going unbeaten is pretty meaningless. Fair enough if we're fighting for survival in the Premier League and most teams get 0 points a week, but when we're aiming for 1.86 ppg (for 75 points and the playoffs), wins are pretty much all that count. If you don't win, that number goes up.

If you can't expect us to beat Barnsley, who can you expect us to beat? Presumably only the spoilt and deluded would expect us to win away at Brighton or Blackburn, so that's another two games where the target will be drifting further and further away.

Dougie can have all the time in the world for me, but there's no point pretending there were any positive signs yesterday. There just weren't.

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:00 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:Yeah, but Freedman has a 25% win percentage and 3/4's of his matches have been home games, so for some reason that makes him ace
Fecking hell he's had 4 games and not lost yet.

All those threads laughing at deluded Newcastle, Sunderland and Liverpool fans.....get rid.

We are a bigger embarrassment.

Nobody is saying he's ace, but he's broadly done what people wanted gone 4-5-1, made us hard to beat and worked on fitness and organisation.

I have more faith that we can convert these performances into wins than the haphazard free for all ones previously.

If you don't then fine. But it's four fooking games and we've not lost yet.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:01 am

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

to be fair to your detractors - you DID used to suggest it was all fairly easy - and that with our obviously cut-above premiership squad, all it needed to start ripping up the championship would be a manager who could just do the basics of organising the players...

maybe you've now changed your mind - if so, fair enough - but you did bang on with that message for an awful long time...
Think I said before I probably did overestimate the quality of our squad though I still think we are somewhat underperforming.

However, the last 7 games of Coyle's reign we picked up 7 points. Losing 4 out of the 7.

The 7 since he's left we've lost just once and picked up 10 points, scored more per game and conceded less per game on average.

So even in that short space of time there is a definite improvement.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:16 am

BWFC_Insane wrote: Think I said before I probably did overestimate the quality of our squad though I still think we are somewhat underperforming.

why are we underperforming? (previously you said that is 100% down to the manager..)

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:29 am

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: Think I said before I probably did overestimate the quality of our squad though I still think we are somewhat underperforming.

why are we underperforming? (previously you said that is 100% down to the manager..)
We're under performing because for about 80% of the match, the vast majority of our players can't be arsed. And I'm looking particularly at Eagles here. They have the quality to win games in this division, and to get into the playoffs even at this late stage. But they cannot be bothered putting the effort in to get there. That was painfully obvious against Barnsley. Too many times, Barnsley had the ball, and were just passing at around. Our players didn't bother closing them down; essentially an attitude of "meh, we'll get it back eventually". Similarly when we had the ball, there was no urgency on the counter attack (the goal aside). It wasn't helped by a piss-poor referee that didn't have a fecking clue when to let play go and when to blow the whistle, but our players have an attitude problem that prevents them playing at 100% for 90 minutes; they think they're gonna walk the game before they even step out.

It's a problem that pervades into, or possibly began with, the fans. I'm looking at those that booed when Andrews came on, and those that whinge and whine when we build up slowly, and then those that whinge and whine when we boot it long. We need fight and bottle in this league, and the best teams generally have an imposing, intimidating atmosphere when they play at home. I know these things are sort of a symbiotic relationship (the crowd responds to the players, the players respond to the fans) but there's a definite lack of the battling, underdog, us-against-the-world mentality that made us great in the Premier League, and made us great before then when we were going up.

I miss Big Sam.