Dougie Freedman - New Manager

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Re: Dougie Freedman - New Manager

Post by Enoch » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:38 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:which is why Freedman came to us,
Really!

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:57 pm

Enoch wrote:
Really!
If he didn't think the players were capable of getting promoted, why would he join us? To stagnate in the Championship before having built his own side in 3 or 4 years time? He obviously thinks we're capable of going up and staying up, unlike Palace, otherwise he wouldn't have joined.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:23 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:
Enoch wrote:
Really!
If he didn't think the players were capable of getting promoted, why would he join us? To stagnate in the Championship before having built his own side in 3 or 4 years time? He obviously thinks we're capable of going up and staying up, unlike Palace, otherwise he wouldn't have joined.
Other than the significant personal salary increase?
Well probably the little matter that our wage budget is currently way higher than Palace's.
Also, if he doesn't get us up this year, a lot of folk are likely to point to "the mess that Coyle left us in"

Whole host of reasons that he might of come, none of which are "the squad's good enough"....

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:25 pm

Enoch wrote:By the by, I don't think Freedman left high flying Palace for Bolton because he fancied taking a step back. I think he moved, because he believes there's more chance of impressing bigger clubs during an extended stay in the Premiership with Bolton, than a one season cameo with a Palace side rooted to the bottom of the division.
With the possible exception of the manager (reading some of the comments on here), the most fluid thing at any football club is the squad of players.

Whatever Palace fans might think, their club simply doesn't have the infrastructure to support more than an occasional peep into the Premiership. Not to mention the business model of CPFC 2010, which would not invest even in the event that they gained promotion. Bolton on the other hand is a club with a Premiership setup.

Personally, I doubt the squad was very high on his list of priorities when considering his prospects. He's already rebuilt the squad at Palace, one assumes he believes he can do the same here.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:28 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:
Enoch wrote:
Really!
Because our wage bill will be more than double if not treble that of Palace's. So even if in the short term we are worse longer term you'd expect us to be better if managed well. And he will be backing himself to do that....

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:23 am

No no no no.... He joined us because his families lives were at stake.. Don't you remember the interview?
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Eagle in peace
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Eagle in peace » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:23 am

[quote="Enoch]Whatever Palace fans might think, their club simply doesn't have the infrastructure to support more than an occasional peep into the Premiership. Not to mention the business model of CPFC 2010, which would not invest even in the event that they gained promotion. Bolton on the other hand is a club with a Premiership setup.[/quote]

Can you let me know what our owners' business model is should we get promoted and what they will not invest in?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:42 am

boltonboris wrote:No no no no.... He joined us because his families lives were at stake.. Don't you remember the interview?
:lol:

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:53 am

Eagle in peace wrote:Can you let me know what our owners' business model is should we get promoted and what they will not invest in?
Not so likely! If you don't already know, get yourself down to Beckenham and find out. :wink:

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:
Enoch wrote:
Really!
Because our wage bill will be more than double if not treble that of Palace's. So even if in the short term we are worse longer term you'd expect us to be better if managed well. And he will be backing himself to do that....
That's only because we were a Premier League side. If he doesn't think the players are good enough to get back there, that wage budget will shrink because we'll be in the Championship for years. On the other hand, if he thought the Palace team was good enough to get promoted his year, he'd have done that and then been given a load of money to invest by the board, not to mention a fat new contract.

He hasn't moved to Bolton because he thinks we're further away from promotion than Palace. He's come here because he knows we have the quality to get back up.

Eagle in peace
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Eagle in peace » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:49 pm

Enoch wrote:Not so likely! If you don't already know, get yourself down to Beckenham and find out. :wink:
I'll take that as a no then.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:53 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:
Enoch wrote:
Really!
That's only because we were a Premier League side. If he doesn't think the players are good enough to get back there, that wage budget will shrink because we'll be in the Championship for years. On the other hand, if he thought the Palace team was good enough to get promoted his year, he'd have done that and then been given a load of money to invest by the board, not to mention a fat new contract.

He hasn't moved to Bolton because he thinks we're further away from promotion than Palace. He's come here because he knows we have the quality to get back up.
We will have parachute payments for the next 3 years. So our income will be higher than Palace's assuming we both stay in the same division. And I can only imagine our owner has backed us to a greater extent than their owners will.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:54 pm

Ancient proverb time, bird in hand better than two in bush: he's come here because he prefered to be in a position of having a contract to the position of not necessarily having a contract renewed.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Eagle in peace
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Eagle in peace » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:23 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Ancient proverb time, bird in hand better than two in bush: he's come here because he prefered to be in a position of having a contract to the position of not necessarily having a contract renewed.
I think there is some mileage in what you say, although as is well documented, our owners did want him to stay and offerered a new contract. I can only assume you offerered more and by the stage we countered DF had been taken with the opportunity he was presented with.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:31 pm

Eagle in peace wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Ancient proverb time, bird in hand better than two in bush: he's come here because he prefered to be in a position of having a contract to the position of not necessarily having a contract renewed.
I think there is some mileage in what you say, although as is well documented, our owners did want him to stay and offerered a new contract. I can only assume you offerered more and by the stage we countered DF had been taken with the opportunity he was presented with.
Yeh, I was slightly warping what is known to fit in with the proverb. my motto is never let the facts get in the way of a good proverb.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:46 pm

Eagle in peace wrote:I'll take that as a no then.
Take it how you choose. :D

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:40 pm

Six unbeaten, and unlike some I've always been right behind Freedman. :mrgreen:
Credit where it's due, he mostly got it right tonight. Keep it up!
Businesswoman of the year.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:44 pm

Dougie's the man

Bring on Ipswich
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:14 pm

Probably lose to Ipswich. It's the Bolton way :)
Pfffft.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:41 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:Six unbeaten, and unlike some I've always been right behind Freedman. :mrgreen:
Credit where it's due, he mostly got it right tonight. Keep it up!
:shock: