Dougie Freedman - New Manager

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Re: Dougie Freedman - New Manager

Post by TKIZ! » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:46 am

77 goals?? Feck.
Pfffft.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:38 am

boltonboris wrote:Re your 4th paragraph: When you get a new manager in, you SHOULD see a pretty steep hike in points. We didn't. We haven't. And I fear we won't.
Perception not fact. You get in a new manager, points don't improve, folk don't notice coz the team is obviously poor to start with. You get a new manager in, things go well, everyone notices coz they're used to doing shit. People only notice when a manger improves things. It seems fairly clear cut that so far: Dougie is better than Owen, but not good enough.

He's had ten games tho ffs; come on, you play to a proper level, you know how close proper games are and therefore how long it takes to get a proper idea of how good a side are once they're playing to a way everyone is happy with. If we aren't putting runs together by the end of the year I'll be worried. Ten games in, the fact we're still shit at the back concerns me. You've surely been there though, where you train all week as a unit and think you've got it nailed and it goes tits up. Over a season, no, over a couple of weeks, yes. It could be that; alternatively, he could be shit, I'd rather go with the optimism.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:11 am

I understand all of that and it's true. I just can't see why anything has changed apart from a couple of differences. Our defenders clear more crosses. But we're STILL not stopping crosses coming into the box, because our wingers and DM's don't help the full backs. This is basic stuff that isn't being addressed.

Maybe it's the players not doing as they've been asked. Which is worrying considering the money they're being paid and the perception of their ability by many people.

Spearing is the key example. Tigrish player, tackles well and chases, harasses and presses. But he doesn't cover well enough. Not even nearly. But it's masked by his "commitment"

There's an awful lot wrong. I know that. I'm not blaming that on Dougie and I'm more than willing to give him time. But it doesn't mean I have to kid myself that I've seen an improvement.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:38 am

Worthy4England wrote:At the minute, he's one point behind Allardyce's first ten games in charge - we were still down in 12th in February of that year. I don't think he's the next Allardyce, but just saying like (Allardyce also lost game 11)

in which case - it's a disappointing start! Let's not pretend otherwise. (not saying you are, Worthy)

brave faces can be great - but let's not pretend this start Dougie has made was not what we hoped for - surely we are allowed to express our disappointment.

bettyrasta
Promising
Promising

Post by bettyrasta » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:02 am

thebish wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:At the minute, he's one point behind Allardyce's first ten games in charge - we were still down in 12th in February of that year. I don't think he's the next Allardyce, but just saying like (Allardyce also lost game 11)

in which case - it's a disappointing start! Let's not pretend otherwise. (not saying you are, Worthy)

brave faces can be great - but let's not pretend this start Dougie has made was not what we hoped for - surely we are allowed to express our disappointment.
That double negative has got my mind boggled!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:04 am

bettyrasta wrote:
thebish wrote:

That double negative has got my mind boggled!
err - yes - that one went through a bit of a transverse grammatical mangle capacitor!! I blame the wine... :oops:

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:15 am

thebish wrote:

Plus 2 points in front of Megson and 3 in front of Coyle.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:51 am

thebish wrote:

No, I'm not saying it's been a great start, but on the same basis I probably wouldn't have said Allardyce made a great start either.

Don't think it's anything to do with brave faces, Coyle had to go - I suspect ED and Garty got to that conclusion without reading our posts too much. I think the decision to approach Freedman mystified most, but I think he still needs to be able to get some of his own players in. Allardyce who also didn't join us until October didn't really buck up until Feb after his first transfer window.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:59 am

Worthy4England wrote:
thebish wrote:

No, I'm not saying it's been a great start, but on the same basis I probably wouldn't have said Allardyce made a great start either.

Don't think it's anything to do with brave faces, Coyle had to go - I suspect ED and Garty got to that conclusion without reading our posts too much. I think the decision to approach Freedman mystified most, but I think he still needs to be able to get some of his own players in. Allardyce who also didn't join us until October didn't really buck up until Feb after his first transfer window.
I guess i should have started a new post rather than quoting yours - I put a bit in brackets to try to say I wasn't referring to you..

what I mean is that I think it is perfectly OK and ordinary and acceptable for people to be disappointed with a poor start Dougie has made without those who are disappointed being accused of abandoning ship or not being behind the team etc..
because this IS a pretty poor start - and if it is only NOT POOR because it is every so slightly better than Coyle - then it's still POOR - piss poor!

Dougie has made a disappointing start - it is NOT obvious (not to me, anyway) what real tangible difference he has made to our defense and the way it is organised, nor does he seem to have made much difference to our fighting spirit (however you define that.) No - we shouldn't sack him - and yes - it is early days - but let's not try to pretend that shipping 5 goals at Peterborough was what any of us thought would be acceptable when he arrived...

I suspect that BL3 has queered the pitch for all those trying to point out that it really isn't yet THAT much better...

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:16 am

It's been a poor start for me with some bizarre team selections and some very average performances.

What concerns me the most is the continuance of playing certain players who are well below par yet are rewarded with starts week in week out. This epitomises everything that has being going wrong at the club over the last couple of years . We seem to be rewarding mediocrity and making poor decisions on and off the pitch. This is not the message we should be sending to the younger players in the team and is not a trait of a successful business.

This has not just happened under Freedman it's true of the last 2 tenures also. Perhaps I am wrong and shouldn't ignore the footballing wisdom of Gartside, Coyle and the ginger genius but our league position suggests not.

Worthy's right in that it's very early days for Freedman but some of his decision making in that period has me worried already.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:18 am

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... s/10125430._/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
Pfffft.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:31 am

Won't happen again?!?!

That's a bold statement. But again he's talking a good game, so that should appease enough people.

I'd prefer to see some hard evidence, rather than empty words. Forgive my negativity, but we've hearing this since his appointment. We're still shipping a shitload of goals.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:33 am

Not that bold Boris. Even the most pessimistic of fans wouldn't expect us to let in 5 again.

Would they?

Also nice to hear he didn't shout at the poor mites.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:34 am

You CAN defend that badly and not concede 5.. We've done it enough times.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:35 am

Fair point

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:40 am

“I understand that people are disappointed but from a coach’s point of view, I have to look at three or four games. I believe it’s a one-off,” he said.

“We shouldn’t get carried away because in the last four or five games we have been working very hard.

“I don’t think we should say we have big problems. We have got a few issues that need to be resolved. But we are a team and we work hard together".

But he resisted the temptation to read the riot act in the dressing room at Peterborough, believing the heavy handed approach would have been counter productive.

“I have had enough tea cups thrown at me to understand it doesn’t work,” he said.

That my friend is because you have never been good enough to play for a top manager, SAF for example, are you BWFCi in disguise? Both he and a few others think all footballers are so special they need mega pampering or the toys are thrown out the pram.

I am really not quite taking a dislike to Freedman yet but I honestly reckon the 'in camper crew' will be eating humble pie again on this appointment and Gartside prove to be a knob yet again.
Lets face it Freedman had achieved Jack before coming here so I suspect all the total backing for him with some is more 'at least he ain't Coyle' than any real hope of upwads and onwards.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:50 am

Perhaps a team talk like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obixCOVTVwY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"and you can bring your dinner too!" Classic :lol:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:04 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Perhaps a team talk like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obixCOVTVwY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"and you can bring your dinner too!" Classic :lol:
:lol: They still lost and went on to win only one of the next fifteen games. Worked a treat did that!

Would you want to play for the guy after that? I don't think most could be arsed getting out of bed in a morning for him, never mind giving there all on the pitch.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:12 pm

thebish wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
thebish wrote:

I guess i should have started a new post rather than quoting yours - I put a bit in brackets to try to say I wasn't referring to you..

what I mean is that I think it is perfectly OK and ordinary and acceptable for people to be disappointed with a poor start Dougie has made without those who are disappointed being accused of abandoning ship or not being behind the team etc..because this IS a pretty poor start - and if it is only NOT POOR because it is every so slightly better than Coyle - then it's still POOR - piss poor!

Dougie has made a disappointing start - it is NOT obvious (not to me, anyway) what real tangible difference he has made to our defense and the way it is organised, nor does he seem to have made much difference to our fighting spirit (however you define that.) No - we shouldn't sack him - and yes - it is early days - but let's not try to pretend that shipping 5 goals at Peterborough was what any of us thought would be acceptable when he arrived...

I suspect that BL3 has queered the pitch for all those trying to point out that it really isn't yet THAT much better...
You've gone onto guidance councilling there! :-)

Didn't take your post as specifically pointed at me, but it still stands. You would hope for a better/bigger boost when the new Manager came in, and you would hope that he saw some of the flaws that we'd been seeing, fairly sharpish, but then I look at his options to change people in and out, and they're not many.

He's going to have to put someone in at LB next game (Alonso?) as Warnock's gone - Who else have we got other than Joe, I've-seen-him-play-once-so-he's better-than-Basham, Riley and Tim Ream, and re-jig the defence? Our cup doesn't overfloweth. Hardly inspiring to pick from is it?

In Midfield, he's fairly stuck too. Petrov is the "likely candidate" to come in, but he's still a big risk in a four. Then there's Pratley and a largely untried Vela. There's only so much a Manager can do.

Upfront - we have one or two from Davo and N'gog - hardly awe inspiring on either front for me - Davo probably now past it, N'gog too little, too infrequently and a bit of a sick-note. Or we can go with replacing one/both with Sordell/Afobe - neither of which have looked any better than what they would be replacing from what we've seen so far.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:18 pm

Hoboh wrote:
“I understand that people are disappointed but from a coach’s point of view, I have to look at three or four games. I believe it’s a one-off,” he said.

“We shouldn’t get carried away because in the last four or five games we have been working very hard.

“I don’t think we should say we have big problems. We have got a few issues that need to be resolved. But we are a team and we work hard together".

But he resisted the temptation to read the riot act in the dressing room at Peterborough, believing the heavy handed approach would have been counter productive.

“I have had enough tea cups thrown at me to understand it doesn’t work,” he said.

That my friend is because you have never been good enough to play for a top manager, SAF for example, are you BWFCi in disguise? Both he and a few others think all footballers are so special they need mega pampering or the toys are thrown out the pram.

I am really not quite taking a dislike to Freedman yet but I honestly reckon the 'in camper crew' will be eating humble pie again on this appointment and Gartside prove to be a knob yet again.
Lets face it Freedman had achieved Jack before coming here so I suspect all the total backing for him with some is more 'at least he ain't Coyle' than any real hope of upwads and onwards.
Or a top manager like Mourinho who says exactly the same thing. Protect your players at all costs.

Megson threw teacups dya want him back?

Surely that sort of thing is a bit old school with modern players........