Looking to take my son to his first football match tomorrow.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bwfcc
Hopeful
Hopeful

Looking to take my son to his first football match tomorrow.

Post by bwfcc » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:05 pm

I'm not really into football but my son's asked me if I can take him tomorrow as his friends are going to the game.
I have a few questions.

(1) Where should we sit? Ideally somewhere not rowdy etc. with people not swearing too much
(2) Are there cash turnstiles on?
(3) Can I pay for a concession ticket at a cash turnstile (he's 10 so clearly not over 18!)?

Thanks for your help.

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Looking to take my son to his first football match tomor

Post by Leyther_Matt » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:18 pm

There are cash gates on the East and North Stands. However I'd say your best bet would be to sit in the West Stand where it's a little bit more 'reserved' (albeit I don't think it'll exactly be the San Siro tomorrow). You'll probably need to buy your ticket from Bolton Central (next door to the club shop) or buy online for the West Stand rather than paying on the gate.
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

Jez
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jez » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:32 pm

I'd second the West Stand, whenever I've sat there its mostly been older folks and families who dont bitterly hate the players and have to let everybody know they do.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:35 pm

Good for you ... tho you are starting him off on a road of perpetual disappointment.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:39 pm

It's just cruel. Don't do it.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Seamus' good leg
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Seamus' good leg » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:54 pm

Nonsense! It's character forming, and easier on him than calling him Sue! My lad has grown up in Ardwick, is the only Bolton fan in his school, & is hooked for life!

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Gail Platz » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:53 am

Just don't go in the East stand to be on the safe side. A few dad and young son combinations have ended up in our bit and haven't lasted 10 minutes. It's not quite as bad on cup games as it's full of kids but still go in the West stand and you won't have any problems.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:01 am

I thought the bit of the west stand next to the away fans could get a bit nasty as well ?. Bobo and Prufrock have got It in one though the dissapointmant of the coming years will at the very least be character building.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Gail Platz » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:29 am

bwfcdan94 wrote:I thought the bit of the west stand next to the away fans could get a bit nasty as well ?. Bobo and Prufrock have got It in one though the dissapointmant of the coming years will at the very least be character building.
There's only about 10 of them in that corner for league games so I'd expect even less today.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:32 am

having not been to the bok this season how many of these dislikeble people are there then. seen some very hate filled people at a way games this season way more so that the past.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:16 am

Gail Platz wrote:
bwfcdan94 wrote:I thought the bit of the west stand next to the away fans could get a bit nasty as well ?. Bobo and Prufrock have got It in one though the dissapointmant of the coming years will at the very least be character building.
There's only about 10 of them in that corner for league games so I'd expect even less today.
Just ordered tickets for nephew and I, two together 'best available' has bunged us up the other end of the West Lower. Are they taking the piss?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:18 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gail Platz wrote:
Just ordered tickets for nephew and I, two together 'best available' has bunged us up the other end of the West Lower. Are they taking the piss?
You can usually order then by which block you want to sit in?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:20 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gail Platz wrote:
Ah reet. First time I've ordered tickets online so just went with the flow. I'm fairly confident that we'll be able to simply up sticks and move nearer the middle though.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Gail Platz » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:48 am

It's pretty poor ordering online if you want a specific seat.

I remember when it first came in and I was buying a season ticket, clicked on the block and it just throws random seats at you. The only way you can have any form of choice is by putting about 20 season tickets in the basket and then removing the seats you don't want.... and it still kept putting me on the front rows when I was wanting towards the back! Had to just buy one in order to get the online discount and ring up to do a seat transfer.

madmarx
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by madmarx » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:23 pm

bwfcc wrote:I'm not really into football but my son's asked me if I can take him tomorrow as his friends are going to the game.
I have a few questions.

(1) Where should we sit? Ideally somewhere not rowdy etc. with people not swearing too much
(2) Are there cash turnstiles on?
(3) Can I pay for a concession ticket at a cash turnstile (he's 10 so clearly not over 18!)?

Thanks for your help.
Of course there's swearing man , its a footy match. The little fella needs to learn to differentiate where he can be an arsehole and where not.. He's 10, if he cant swear appropriately by now you want him checked. :) :)

Oh oh sorry , missed the bit where you said you're not into football :oops: :oops:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:08 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gail Platz wrote:
Ah reet. First time I've ordered tickets online so just went with the flow. I'm fairly confident that we'll be able to simply up sticks and move nearer the middle though.
I did that last year (or year before). Took a seat & about 10 min into the match up pops some guy with a ticket with a specific seat number on in .... the one I was sitting in. There were about 30 free seats all around, but he wanted this particular one. I suppose fairly, but 'get a life'-ish.

So I moved.

Two guys who'd spent the first 30 min by the bar then arrived. Same again !!

I eventually settled down.

As the second half began these set again arrived 10 to 15 min into the match. The first one again found someone (not me) in his seat. Again he wanted them out, though this guy was less compliant.

Weird people football fans.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:11 pm

never liked this whole ticketing number things. clubs should just print off the number of tickets they can sell without harming the safety of anyone in the ground and let us stand where we want, (nd that is from someone who has grown up with this flash Premiership coperatty stuff rather than proper football that the rest have being that I am 18 now)

89bwfc89
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by 89bwfc89 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:47 pm

I've booked seats at the end of a row as its my dads preference, sorry but if someone's sat in them, I'd ask them to move.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:10 pm

89bwfc89 wrote:I've booked seats at the end of a row as its my dads preference, sorry but if someone's sat in them, I'd ask them to move.
Fair enough, but bloody irritating when they 'owner' of that seat doesn't turn up for 10 min & then 30 min.

89bwfc89
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by 89bwfc89 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:24 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
89bwfc89 wrote:I've booked seats at the end of a row as its my dads preference, sorry but if someone's sat in them, I'd ask them to move.
Fair enough, but bloody irritating when they 'owner' of that seat doesn't turn up for 10 min & then 30 min.
30 mins! May as well have not bothered!