FA Cup 2012/2013 - Third Round.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: FA Cup 2012/2013 - Third Round.

Post by thebish » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:46 am

officer_dibble wrote:Defending at corners.

Stop crosses at source.

Give Lonergan a run in nets as well...though I:m going of highlights.

didn't see the game - but the commentary did tell us he "dropped" a couple and was lucky they didn't fall to Sun'land feet... the kind of thing Boggers gets crucified for!

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:51 am

Here are the goals.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/bo ... rland-2-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To be honest we should have done better with both goals. The second is a great finish but why is there no one within 10 yards of him when he received the ball at the edge of the box.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:55 am

thebish wrote:

Stop crosses at source.

didn't see the game - but the commentary did tell us he "dropped" a couple and was lucky they didn't fall to Sun'land feet... the kind of thing Boggers gets crucified for!
Fair does. Didnt go so going off the hollywood reel.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:59 am

thebish wrote:

Stop crosses at source.

Maybe just maybe be fact that he's had next to fvck all game time
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:08 am

Annoyed Grunt wrote:
jaffka wrote:
BL3 wrote:
madmarx wrote:Like we have 30 odd thousand season tickets but i reckon the core support is nearer between 18-22. They would still come even if we were in division 1.
I don't know what point you're trying to make. Your 'core support' will always be bigger than ours. Sunderland are a bigger club than Bolton, as they should be since your only real competition is Newcastle.
Where does this bigger club come from?

More fans I agree with. A higher capacity stadium as well but bigger club?
Exactly....is there a rating guide or points system that determines this?
Maybe it is from Footie Manager thingy. It tells managers who will be good players in 2017 and that Rochdale can win the Champions League in 5 years :wink:

scotty
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by scotty » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:17 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:
jaffka wrote:
BL3 wrote:
madmarx wrote:Like we have 30 odd thousand season tickets but i reckon the core support is nearer between 18-22. They would still come even if we were in division 1.
I don't know what point you're trying to make. Your 'core support' will always be bigger than ours. Sunderland are a bigger club than Bolton, as they should be since your only real competition is Newcastle.
Where does this bigger club come from?

More fans I agree with. A higher capacity stadium as well but bigger club?
Exactly....is there a rating guide or points system that determines this?
Any number of factors can be used.... apart from Number of trophies won in the last 30 years.
Who's that coming up the hill boys,
The Wanderers are coming up the hill boys,
They all laugh at us, they all mock at us,
They all say our days are numbered,

Born to be a Wanderer, victorious are we....

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:54 pm

boltonboris wrote:I'm sure there was only 16,000 on the gate when we played a cup game at yours a few years ago
yes it was 3rd round and it was about 18,000 but you are right.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:02 pm

Read half-a-dozen different match reports and all say much the same. For an hour it was Bolton's game but the final third we were under the cosh. Given the amount of goals regularly scored against us in the final minutes of games, a touch of United philosophy might help (pardon me for swearing). They're the most dangerous team in the leagues for playing hard in the latter stages of the game whereas we mostly seem to spend most of the last fifteen shoved back into our own box and under siege unless we're losing and the opposition just sit back and defend a lead.. Being unable to do that must surely have registered with Dougie by now? A two goal lead never seems to be enough or safe these days.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:11 pm

malcd1 wrote:Here are the goals.
http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/bo ... rland-2-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To be honest we should have done better with both goals. The second is a great finish but why is there no one within 10 yards of him when he received the ball at the edge of the box.
Got deleted.

BWFC90
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by BWFC90 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:21 pm

Here they are: http://www.footreview.net/index.php?opt ... eo_id=6617" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That Lion Of Vienna site usually uploads them

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:22 pm

BWFC90 wrote:Here they are: http://www.footreview.net/index.php?opt ... eo_id=6617" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That Lion Of Vienna site usually uploads them
Or this one.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/bo ... rland-2-3/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:23 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:... we mostly seem to spend most of the last fifteen unless we're losing and the opposition just sit back and defend a lead .. Being unable to do that must surely have registered with Dougie by now? A two goal lead never seems to be enough or safe these days.
I agree. Yet isn't it odd that other teams "sit back & defend a lead" ..... while, when we do it we are "shoved back into our own box and under siege" ?!

I'm not having a pop, but it seems that when it's done poorly (as we have done for years) it's a bad thing, yet when it's done well it's admirable.

I hate it. Always have. If you've got into a winning position playing one way why change it ? As they have to come after you then they will leave gaps.

Then again, I'm not a managing a team, but it does seem counter-intuitive.

Either way though, if you DO do it then ffs do it well !!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Tals-biggest-fan
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Tals-biggest-fan » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:25 pm

seemed like instead of bringing Kevin Davies for Sordell we should of be bringing on a extra midfield to help seal the game in the last 25, we have to be disappointed with the result!
NEIL LENNON'S SUPERWHITE ARMY

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:31 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:... we mostly seem to spend most of the last fifteen unless we're losing and the opposition just sit back and defend a lead .. Being unable to do that must surely have registered with Dougie by now? A two goal lead never seems to be enough or safe these days.
I agree. Yet isn't it odd that other teams "sit back & defend a lead" ..... while, when we do it we are "shoved back into our own box and under siege" ?!

I'm not having a pop, but it seems that when it's done poorly (as we have done for years) it's a bad thing, yet when it's done well it's admirable.

I hate it. Always have. If you've got into a winning position playing one way why change it ? As they have to come after you then they will leave gaps.

Then again, I'm not a managing a team, but it does seem counter-intuitive.

Either way though, if you DO do it then ffs do it well !!
Aye, point being Bobo, we're defending a lead, then a draw and finish up with nothing. With a really strong defence, fine, but we don't have one.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:51 pm

Teams that concede frequent late goals are either physically unfit or mentally weak. Sadly, I think we're both but since even Palace fans reckon DF is big on his fitness, hopefully we should start to see some improvement there
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:55 pm

jaffka wrote:Where does this bigger club come from?

More fans I agree with.
Then you've answered your own question.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:02 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Teams that concede frequent late goals are either physically unfit or mentally weak. Sadly, I think we're both but since even Palace fans reckon DF is big on his fitness, hopefully we should start to see some improvement there
Their first was unfortunate. Lonergan got in its way, all except the gap between his legs, and the second was clever. He saw a defender rushing to block it and fired it behind him. Can't complain about that one. Mind, their goalie was more to blame than the defender for Chungy's goal. He had a chance to belt it out of his box and chose to pass to the defender instead. I doubt we'll get chances like that at the S.O.L.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:11 pm

BL3 wrote:
jaffka wrote:Where does this bigger club come from?

More fans I agree with.
Then you've answered your own question.
No I haven't, it still stands.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:23 pm

With regard to the last part of a game and teams attempting to protect a lead, it's worth remembering that there are two teams involved in a game and the team that's losing with time running out generally throws caution to the wind. It's not a case of inviting them on, it's their choice to lay siege.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:29 pm

Enoch wrote:With regard to the last part of a game and teams attempting to protect a lead, it's worth remembering that there are two teams involved in a game and the team that's losing with time running out generally throws caution to the wind. It's not a case of inviting them on, it's their choice to lay siege.
which means they lose shape & so are open to counter attacking .... so long as the defending team keep their heads. Stepping back simply allows their tactic to take control.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".