Another Journeyman

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Another Journeyman

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:14 pm

Not really got my hopes up either, but if we had a forward on the pitch today who knew where the net was, I reckon we'd have probably won. I lost count of the times that both SKD and N'gog wasted good opportunities.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:16 pm

Gail Platz wrote:I'm not getting my hopes up.

It's an absolute rarity that someone starts to produce the goods and really work their way up the leagues to perform at the highest level late on in their careers. Off the top of my head I can only really think of Jon Walters and DJ Campbell to a certain extent.
Off the top of mine; McGinlay, Rickie Lambert & Grant Holt
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:23 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:

It's an absolute rarity that someone starts to produce the goods and really work their way up the leagues to perform at the highest level late on in their careers. Off the top of my head I can only really think of Jon Walters and DJ Campbell to a certain extent.
And Glenn Murray is the top scorer in the division isn't he?
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:02 am

Kevin Phillips is the best I can think of in the last few years.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:48 am

Lord Kangana wrote:Kevin Phillips is the best I can think of in the last few years.

He's always been fairly prolific

Iirc Barry Hayles did't make pro till he was 28

Did the bizzo for Fulham
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:27 am

holto was playing for Barrow or someone like that little more than 5 years ago
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:33 am

I'm still hoping to be 'spotted' by the scouts. To be honest, getting to think it may not happen at the top level if it doesn't happen soon.

I may have to look at the lower leagues by next year.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Whookam
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Whookam » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:40 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:

Rickie Lambert had been scoring goals for fun for years, Grant Holt too has a pretty good goal scoring record. So they were producing the goods but no-one higher up wanted to touch them.

Whookam
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Whookam » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:43 am

boltonboris wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

And Glenn Murray is the top scorer in the division isn't he?
Murray's averaged around 1 goal every 2 games for the last five years.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:33 pm

Whookam wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Rickie Lambert had been scoring goals for fun for years, Grant Holt too has a pretty good goal scoring record. So they were producing the goods but no-one higher up wanted to touch them.
The point Gail was making was that it was very rare for a player to work their way up and perform at the highest level. Holt & Lambert were both examples of players who have done just that, no? :conf:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Whookam
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Whookam » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:31 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
The point Gail was making was that it was very rare for a player to work their way up and perform at the highest level. Holt & Lambert were both examples of players who have done just that, no? :conf:
It was actually stated as:
It's an absolute rarity that someone starts to produce the goods and really work their way up the leagues to perform at the highest level late on in their careers
There are repeated cases of players who are doing it at a lower level but don't get a chance to display that higher up the league but far, far fewer of players suddenly turning on the class later in their career. SJM may well fit into that category.

bettyrasta
Promising
Promising

Post by bettyrasta » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:55 pm

Whookam wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

No offence meant Whookam but oh how I hate the 'scoring goals for fun' cliché!!

Jez
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jez » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:28 pm

It's an absolute rarity that someone starts to produce the goods and really work their way up the leagues to perform at the highest level late on in their careers. Off the top of my head I can only really think of Jon Walters and DJ Campbell to a certain extent. Before anyone says, no Keith Andrews doesn't count because he is complete garbage and if he couldn't take a penalty then he's up there with our worst signings of all time.

Let's not kid ourselves here. If you're hitting the 25-27 age and you've not done anything in your career, chances are you're not going to be any good. A lot of you got your hopes up when we signed Pratley, but he's had a similar career to Davies Number 3. Look how he's turned out.

I hope I'm wrong, I really do and I hope he goes on to be a good signing for us but someone who's career high so far is Barnsley and is around the 'peak' of his career isn't going to be good in my opinion.
Grant Holt is one, but yeah its not a long list

Whookam
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Whookam » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:20 pm

bettyrasta wrote:
Whookam wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Surely we live by cliches in football? :wink:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:43 pm

Whookam wrote:
bettyrasta wrote:
Whookam wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Surely we live by cliches in football? :wink:
At the end of the day, yes, I guess we do. But we're only as good as our last cliché and can take nothing for granted as you don't get any easy ones at this level and have to take your chances.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".