It was 20 years ago today...

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: It was 20 years ago today...

Post by Andy Waller » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:47 am

William the White wrote:
Andy Waller wrote:Has anyone seen the Dave Higson video of this game? It's amazing.
Isn't it that one where, with five minutes left he starts 'singing' at Liverpool 'you're so shit it's unbelievable'? Dave Higson playing a blinder... :lmfao:

He's in with the Bolton fans commentating, they used the BBC's footage. "JIMMY! Tell him to watch that wire cock!"
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:48 am

Memories (outside BWFC) may have faded because Liverpool quickly waned and lost a series of cup games to lower-league teams – but none, I suspect, to a team which so outplayed them at "their own game" - playing it along the carpet.

Most of our merry band went together, except one who pulled an extra shift at work instead because "we'll get bummed". You can imagine his reception when we saw him next, but he took it well.

The goals were heavenly. And they didn't feel unexpected. With the odd slip we were getting into our stride and had been banging in 4-0 wins. McGinlay was on his way to joining Walker in the pantheon, so neither man's goal felt a shock to us.

I remember an enraged Redknapp trying to nobble Didsy Lee – and missing. Heh. "Top top player"? Pundits after the match speculating on what went wrong for Liverpool - "they need some players" - "What about this lad Lee?" P*ss off, he's got a job to do for us yet...

Tony Kelly, the night of his life. You can insert a booze-and-girls joke if you like but he was born to play football and on that night he stepped up to what was still the pinnacle of English club football (kids, ask yer dad) and completely ran the show.

My favourite memory is of the last 10 minutes, wondering among ourselves who we'd most like to score our third. "Didsy deserves one..." "What about Greeny, can you imagine his grin?"

Possibly, with hindsight, the high point of my football life. Because the world seemed so ripe with opportunity, as it so often does, but in this case it was right to. Those three seasons under Rioch... <weeps>

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:16 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Memories (outside BWFC) may have faded because Liverpool quickly waned and lost a series of cup games to lower-league teams – but none, I suspect, to a team which so outplayed them at "their own game" - playing it along the carpet.

Most of our merry band went together, except one who pulled an extra shift at work instead because "we'll get bummed". You can imagine his reception when we saw him next, but he took it well.

The goals were heavenly. And they didn't feel unexpected. With the odd slip we were getting into our stride and had been banging in 4-0 wins. McGinlay was on his way to joining Walker in the pantheon, so neither man's goal felt a shock to us.

I remember an enraged Redknapp trying to nobble Didsy Lee – and missing. Heh. "Top top player"? Pundits after the match speculating on what went wrong for Liverpool - "they need some players" - "What about this lad Lee?" P*ss off, he's got a job to do for us yet...

Tony Kelly, the night of his life. You can insert a booze-and-girls joke if you like but he was born to play football and on that night he stepped up to what was still the pinnacle of English club football (kids, ask yer dad) and completely ran the show.

My favourite memory is of the last 10 minutes, wondering among ourselves who we'd most like to score our third. "Didsy deserves one..." "What about Greeny, can you imagine his grin?"

Possibly, with hindsight, the high point of my football life. Because the world seemed so ripe with opportunity, as it so often does, but in this case it was right to. Those three seasons under Rioch... <weeps>
:pray:
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:20 am

Thanks, Mummy. Would that I found doing as easy as describing... :?

Tis the players - and the management duo - who deserve the praise. And they got it, from all corners of the ground.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:34 am

Yes, you should definitely look into the describing game as a career.

I wasn't going to matches by that time, but I remember my old man going and me putting the newspaper cuttings in my scrapbook. It's always been amusing to hear pundits down the years describing which of ours could "do a job" for Liverpool, be it David Lee, Okocha or whoever...
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:43 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:It's always been amusing to hear pundits down the years describing which of ours could "do a job" for Liverpool, be it David Lee, Okocha or whoever...
Usually CYL of late, although did MDavies get mention?

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:30 pm

Andy Waller wrote:
William the White wrote:
Andy Waller wrote:Has anyone seen the Dave Higson video of this game? It's amazing.
Isn't it that one where, with five minutes left he starts 'singing' at Liverpool 'you're so shit it's unbelievable'? Dave Higson playing a blinder... :lmfao:

He's in with the Bolton fans commentating, they used the BBC's footage. "JIMMY! Tell him to watch that wire cock!"
Are you sure it was BBC footage? I seem to remember Sinstadt commentating. Maybe he'd moved to the BBC?

I made a good friend and famous actress Livrrpool fan sit through it... at her house n all... she was wetting herself... And later organised Dave's appearance on the Skinner/Baddiel fantasy football show... :D

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:47 pm

^ Defo BBC. Sinstadt had indeed moved to the Beeb via Granada and some dodgy cinema in Soho iirc
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:16 pm

May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:06 pm

I was 8. The game that cemented being a wanderer! My first real football memory (tv highlights only).

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:35 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Image
I had a framed picture of that, then broke the glass and binned it. Stupid of me really.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:36 pm

Was a great night and started us on the road to the big time

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:44 pm

Enjoy (again).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s9spYVKE9c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hope is what keeps us going.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:04 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Image
I had a framed picture of that, then broke the glass and binned it. Stupid of me really.
there's summat weird going on with McGinlay's arm there - it's huuuuuuuuuuge!!!

scotty
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by scotty » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:15 pm

That picture is iconic.
The game was the catalyst for an amazing period under Rioch. The run we put together at the end of the season was superb with some memerable games
Who's that coming up the hill boys,
The Wanderers are coming up the hill boys,
They all laugh at us, they all mock at us,
They all say our days are numbered,

Born to be a Wanderer, victorious are we....

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:02 am

TKIZ! wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:Thanks for the link TKIZ - gave me goose bumps that. My best night ever watching the lads. Would be hard for todays youngsters to understand how much bigger the FA cup was then and how big a shock our win & performance was.

For those on here who like to indulge in a bit of scouse bashing - YtarmyYtarmy's post and the guy on the Kop applauding Walkers goal should at least demonstrate that when they were at the top of their game, Liverpool fans showed a lot more class than Utd's fans ever would do in the same position.
No worries Harry, had a fair few Liverpool fans in school the next day, ashen faced :lol:
My gratitude too TKIZ...I wasn't at the game but listened to 1st half updates on Radio Manchester as they had chosen to feature commentary of the Man City game that night but at half time the producers saw sense and chose to switch the commentary to Anfield. That was a fantastic night but I still maintain the night at Ewood in the late 70s when we won promotion was probably the best match I've ever been too. Some say there were 20,000 Wanderers in a crowd of 27,000 that night.
The Voice Of Reason

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:22 am

William the White wrote:
Andy Waller wrote:
William the White wrote:

Are you sure it was BBC footage? I seem to remember Sinstadt commentating. Maybe he'd moved to the BBC?

I made a good friend and famous actress Livrrpool fan sit through it... at her house n all... she was wetting herself... And later organised Dave's appearance on the Skinner/Baddiel fantasy football show... :D

Was it those short shorts?

Yeah, they couldn't film there but they could use the footage and commentate over the top.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:36 am

Wasn't there, but listened in disbelief on the radio as we absolutely dismantled them. Great times. Great football. Great memories.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:58 pm

Memories memories...

Aside from the goals, which came at perfect times I do remember the Redknapp challenge on Lee which didn't 'miss' and nearly snapped him in two.

But, Jamie was never that sort of player. Unless he was. Which he was.

I remember John Barnes hitting the side netting with a header that when he should have scored. If that'd have gone in it might have been different.

But it didn't and it wasn't.

Singing 'Ooh-ahh Bran-i-gan' for about 3hrs.

Now, no one has a lower opinion of Scousers than me. All of 'em from Ringo Starr to my ex-brother in law, to Carla Lane to...I can't think of another famous Scouser. There must be one or two more. anyway, I donts like 'em.

However coming out of Anfield that night to a man every one of 'em was magnanimous in defeat (they were magnanimous in victory too after the CC Final). Wishing us the best and telling us how well we'd played.

Everton fans didn't take it quite so well the following year telling us to 'get baackcccck to (our) shitttii ggrrround'.

Who's got the shit ground now eh?

A real nail in the Souness coffin that will always be one of my favourite superwhite nights.

Don't really think it merits all the 20yr celebrations though. That just makes me feel old.
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:01 pm

coffeymagic wrote:Memories memories...

Aside from the goals, which came at perfect times I do remember the Redknapp challenge on Lee which didn't 'miss' and nearly snapped him in two.

But, Jamie was never that sort of player. Unless he was. Which he was.

I remember John Barnes hitting the side netting with a header that when he should have scored. If that'd have gone in it might have been different.

But it didn't and it wasn't.

Singing 'Ooh-ahh Bran-i-gan' for about 3hrs.

Now, no one has a lower opinion of Scousers than me. All of 'em from Ringo Starr to my ex-brother in law, to Carla Lane to...I can't think of another famous Scouser. There must be one or two more. anyway, I donts like 'em.

However coming out of Anfield that night to a man every one of 'em was magnanimous in defeat (they were magnanimous in victory too after the CC Final). Wishing us the best and telling us how well we'd played.

Everton fans didn't take it quite so well the following year telling us to 'get baackcccck to (our) shitttii ggrrround'.

Who's got the shit ground now eh?

A real nail in the Souness coffin that will always be one of my favourite superwhite nights.

Don't really think it merits all the 20yr celebrations though. That just makes me feel old.
I remember that chance, and half the crowd thought it was in and i remember thinking the feckin noise was so loud from just half the crowd thinking they'd scored what will it be like when they do score (which they surely must, this is liverpool, at Anfield, versus us)....but obviously, it never happened.