Worthy's better class of transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Worthy's better class of transfer thread

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:50 pm

officer_dibble wrote:I'd go with that. Plus Mills has grafted in this league in the past. Ricketts is a bertie big bollocks premier league wanker.

Reliable source? Seems like a bold move for two first xi men. End of the season seems more realistic?
They're out of contract at the end of the season, anyway.

Probably for the best, if we let 'em feck off to Hull or wherever, save ourselves a few quid and start giving players like Riley some experience seeing as we've feck all to play for now..

As for the source: I'm not sure. A couple of people have vouched for him, but I personally don't know the guy
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:04 pm

It would be a big call. "Settlement" could mean anything, but can often be something like half the wages they're owed - for literally no return. Unusual unless the player is frozen out (not so), the boss has a visceral dislike (hardly conceivable) or the club is living hand-to-mouth...

IIRC the last lad we "settled up" with was Shittu, whatever happened to him... :?

Jez
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jez » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:08 pm

Paying off the contracts of two first team defenders seems absolutely mental to me, If dougie really wanted rid of them both Ricketts and Knight would probably attract interest if offered about for free...

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:11 pm

Jez wrote:Paying off the contracts of two first team defenders seems absolutely mental to me, If dougie really wanted rid of them both Ricketts and Knight would probably attract interest if offered about for free...
If they're on good money for us, they're out of reach of most in the league
Sto ut Serviam

Jez
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jez » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:16 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
Jez wrote:Paying off the contracts of two first team defenders seems absolutely mental to me, If dougie really wanted rid of them both Ricketts and Knight would probably attract interest if offered about for free...
I could see low level prem sides being interested in both of those two personally

Caribbean White
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Caribbean White » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:20 pm

Jez wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:
I could see low level prem sides being interested in both of those two personally
Maybe Reading, but cannot see any other Prem team being slightly interested in any of our players, apart from Eagles and Chungy.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:24 pm

Freedman reinstated Knight to the team and has picked him far more often than not. He's also regularly picked Ricketts. It would leave us bare-boned with Mears, Riley, Mills, Ream and Alonso. It would demand we sign players (which costs) or borrow them (which doesn't solve the problem).

I don't believe it, but if it turns out to be true, it would be more than a new managerial brush sweeping clean: it'd be cost-cutting primarily for financial reasons, no matter how it was 'sold' to us.

That's not clearing out deadwood, it's more like weeding out unwanted plants. Which can be beneficial to your garden but it costs time and effort – and can leave yer borders a little underpopulated, unless you've already got your replacement bulbs.

<goes for lie down>

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:27 pm

If we let them go, we'd have to pay their contracts out..

Example: If we 'owed' Cahill £500,000 on the rest of his contract, the transfer fee (or compensation) would have beem £4.5m, yet they gave us £5m.

When you get a transfer fee, these usually include the remainder of the players' contracts. That's contractual.(As above)

So if Knight was set to earn £500,000 for the rest of his contract and X-club said "we'll give you a grand to take him off you, we'd have to give Zat Knight £499,000.

Which defeats the object. Nobody will give us any money for Knight, so the most viable solutions are to keep him and it'll cost us £500k, or mutually terminate the contract and fork out potentially half that cost.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:33 pm

Gravedigger wrote:I still think Coyle deliberately sabotaged us and the damage is so deep that DF is in the deep end without an outboard motor.
I was happy when Megson went, I was happy when we got Coyle and I've not really been anti-Coyle until quite near the end. Maybe not deliberate sabotage but I'm certainly thinking that he did us a lot of harm and I agree with your point about DF. However, some shrewd signings could change that, which is why I'm still hopeful.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:41 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote: ... That's not clearing out deadwood, it's more like weeding out unwanted plants. Which can be beneficial to your garden but it costs time and effort – and can leave yer borders a little underpopulated, unless you've already got your replacement bulbs.

<goes for lie down in flower bed>
You're right, but even when you've got your replacement bulbs they need to be planted at the right time in the season and they need to have the right climate to thrive in. :wink:

<goes to pee in flower bed>
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:43 pm

boltonboris wrote:the most viable solutions are to keep him and it'll cost us £500k, or mutually terminate the contract and fork out potentially half that cost.
Yep - and I come back to the point that the latter choice would be strange. We'd be paying out (say) half for nothing, rather than having the two players. Yes, Wheater's back soon (forgot him on my list above) but we'd still be hostage to fortune at the back.

It either means:
1. Having abandoned hope of lucrative promotion, the board are (further) tightening our belt with gut-punching suddenness.
2. It's not a board decision, it's Dougie's decision, that he dislikes the players so much he'll happily pay them off. That would be very odd considering Ricketts has started 13 of DF's 15 games and Knight has played every minute. Very odd indeed.

Not sure I like either option. Not sure whether my disbelief in the story is related to me not liking it.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:02 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
boltonboris wrote:the most viable solutions are to keep him and it'll cost us £500k, or mutually terminate the contract and fork out potentially half that cost.
Yep - and I come back to the point that the latter choice would be strange. We'd be paying out (say) half for nothing, rather than having the two players. Yes, Wheater's back soon (forgot him on my list above) but we'd still be hostage to fortune at the back.

It either means:
1. Having abandoned hope of lucrative promotion, the board are (further) tightening our belt with gut-punching suddenness.
2. It's not a board decision, it's Dougie's decision, that he dislikes the players so much he'll happily pay them off. That would be very odd considering Ricketts has started 13 of DF's 15 games and Knight has played every minute. Very odd indeed.

Not sure I like either option. Not sure whether my disbelief in the story is related to me not liking it.
You see, I've never been particularly happy with the oft stated idea that we owe £100 million pounds to a bloke who doesn't want it back. I'm sure he does and he'd much prefer not to be spending any more thank you very much - so maybe your no1 idea is the actuality. I much prefer you non-numbered idea that maybe this is a rumour too far.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:10 pm

Leyther_Matt wrote:
Gravedigger wrote:Last time we lost a "Lee" we nose dived so de javu perhaps. 8)
Good point, we got relegated the year after David Lee was sold to Wigan. ;)
I'm older than you, Leyther. I was referring to Franny Lee around 1967. So a deffo 'Lee' link. :grin:
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

Caribbean White
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Caribbean White » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:44 pm

Gregus deal done, Nixon just tweeted, just waiting for International clearance, Nixon also tweeted Dawson deal should go through this week, and cryptically hinted that it could spell trouble for Knight and a few others.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:48 pm

Caribbean White wrote:Gregus deal done, Nixon just tweeted, just waiting for International clearance, Nixon also tweeted Dawson deal should go through this week, and cryptically hinted that it could spell trouble for Knight and a few others.
Wheater & Dawson in with Mills as backup.. Knight & Ream off into the sunset.

Caribbean White
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Caribbean White » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:50 pm

ChrisC wrote:
Caribbean White wrote:Gregus deal done, Nixon just tweeted, just waiting for International clearance, Nixon also tweeted Dawson deal should go through this week, and cryptically hinted that it could spell trouble for Knight and a few others.
And Ricketts if Nixon is to be believed.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:52 pm

Caribbean White wrote:
ChrisC wrote:
Ah see, thats where it falls down a little 8)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:06 pm

Ah, so it's a Nixon rumour? Hmm...

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:10 pm

Nixon cryptically hinted something....hehe, LK, tell everyone what that means, for those that dont know:

wanderers_on_tour
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by wanderers_on_tour » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:11 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:
Caribbean White wrote:
ChrisC wrote:
Ah see, thats where it falls down a little 8)
Which would leave us ridiculous short seeing as both players are currently injured/not ready for 90 minutes in the first team... :crazy: