Worthy's better class of transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: Worthy's better class of transfer thread

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:49 pm

We could snatch Paul Robinson back from Birmingham. We need to up that card count.

Caribbean White
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Caribbean White » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:04 am

Better still bring Jiminho out of retirement, he is on the books, and would be hungry, maybe not young but bothered, well a bit better than the Robinson suggestion, ok only just.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:38 am

Two things regard Alonso:

If he moves abroad almost certain there will be no compensation.

If his new contract offer doesn't match the one he got from Owen there is definitely no compensation.

As to his true value today, do the past two and a half years really count for much?

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:36 am

This has been alluded to, but to put it into words... If we're desperate to hang onto Alonso we'll have to up his wages. Do we really want to have a slightly dodgy but really expensive wage-wise LB?

I guess it was similar with Elmander, players only extend if the wages are right so you have to stump up the right wages with the right number of years... So then you've got an expensive player who's on a long contract.

When I've seen Alonso play this year I've thought he's done ok, even scored a goal. But basically I don't have a problem whatever we decide to do with him, as long as we can afford it or we have a replacement.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Jez
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jez » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:53 pm

Ecstatic we've got dawson. Very very good signing, scoring centre back with a lot of potential, remember the last one of them?

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:05 pm

Sky Sports understands that Bolton Wanderers winger Chung-yong Lee may well be the subject of a formal offer from at least one Premier League club before the transfer window closes.

Chung-yong is back to fitness for Bolton this season after being restricted to just two appearances last term due to a broken leg.

The South Korean had been one of Bolton's most consistent performers after arriving at the Reebok Stadium in 2009 and he has regularly been linked with other clubs.

It is understood that manager Dougie Freedman's resolve to keep the 24-year-old could be tested before next Thursday's transfer deadline.

Liverpool and Stoke City have long been mooted as admirers of Chung-yong and the Premier League duo retain an interest in the wide-man.

And there is every expectation that one of those clubs will make a bid for Chung-yong in the final week of the January window.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:12 pm

ChrisC wrote:
Sky Sports understands that Bolton Wanderers winger Chung-yong Lee may well be the subject of a formal offer from at least one Premier League club before the transfer window closes.

Chung-yong is back to fitness for Bolton this season after being restricted to just two appearances last term due to a broken leg.

The South Korean had been one of Bolton's most consistent performers after arriving at the Reebok Stadium in 2009 and he has regularly been linked with other clubs.

It is understood that manager Dougie Freedman's resolve to keep the 24-year-old could be tested before next Thursday's transfer deadline.

Liverpool and Stoke City have long been mooted as admirers of Chung-yong and the Premier League duo retain an interest in the wide-man.

And there is every expectation that one of those clubs will make a bid for Chung-yong in the final week of the January window.
If not this month, then in the Summer. It'll be a direct consequence of not being anywhere near returning to the Prem after one year.

Very sad indeed if/when he goes.

But ffs let's get more than £5m for him.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:56 pm

Ive never rated Chungy that highly personally, so a bid of £5 million will have me starting the car. I confidently predict he will do little to impress elsewhere.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:59 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:Ive never rated Chungy that highly personally, so a bid of £5 million will have me starting the car. I confidently predict he will do little to impress elsewhere.
He's about the best we've got. Not sure we can afford to lose the likes of him if we have any sort of ambition above bottom half of the Championship.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:06 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote:Ive never rated Chungy that highly personally, so a bid of £5 million will have me starting the car. I confidently predict he will do little to impress elsewhere.
He's about the best we've got. Not sure we can afford to lose the likes of him if we have any sort of ambition above bottom half of the Championship.
It doesn't work like that though.

I'm sure that was said when we sold Curcic to Villa right before the season started.

Ok so Curcic was a bad egg and all, but still at the time was the best we had.

Trouble for me is for a long time we've been too worried and reliant on which individuals we have in the team or can keep or not.

Anelka, Diouf, Cahill, Nolan, Holden, Lee......

And what we've not really managed to have in that time is an acutal TEAM.

I don't want LCY to go as I think he's a good team player and a good all round player who works hard, has a bit of talent and can chip in with goals. If someone bids 7M for him though or around that mark, we'd be mental to say no. Mental.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:15 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
I don't want LCY to go as I think he's a good team player and a good all round player who works hard, has a bit of talent and can chip in with goals.

it wasn't that long ago that you said you'd get rid of every single one of them! :wink:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:35 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

I'm sure that was said when we sold Curcic to Villa right before the season started.

Trouble for me is for a long time we've been too worried and reliant on which individuals we have in the team or can keep or not.

I don't want LCY to go as I think he's a good team player and a good all round player who works hard, has a bit of talent and can chip in with goals. If someone bids 7M for him though or around that mark, we'd be mental to say no. Mental.
It works however Dougie and Eddie want it to work. If someone wants to offer ridiculous money fine, but that isn't the case here. We aren't a million miles from the relegation zone. Start stripping out the squad now, particularly the better players and we're fecked. Particularly as Dougie likes to sign players short of the fitness standard he has set :wink:

Put another way. If Alonso goes, Ngog and CYL (all subject to speculation atm) then we're left with Craig David, who is not match fit. We're left with Gregg Wylde and Eagles for the wing and no natural left back. That doesn't fill me with much confidence. Get rid of the deadwood, but keep the good ones unless a ridiculous offer comes in.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:39 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

It works however Dougie and Eddie want it to work. If someone wants to offer ridiculous money fine, but that isn't the case here. We aren't a million miles from the relegation zone. Start stripping out the squad now, particularly the better players and we're fecked. Particularly as Dougie likes to sign players short of the fitness standard he has set :wink:

Put another way. If Alonso goes, Ngog and CYL (all subject to speculation atm) then we're left with Craig David, who is not match fit. We're left with Gregg Wylde and Eagles for the wing and no natural left back. That doesn't fill me with much confidence. Get rid of the deadwood, but keep the good ones unless a ridiculous offer comes in.
I agree. But there comes a time when we're going to have to sell to hopefully rebuild.

What we've got now isn't going to magically start producing much more.

So at some stage we'll need to hope for a miracle I suspect. And those sellable assets like LCY will be the only path to any sort of chance we have of being able to build a squad capable of going somewhere.

Like selling Gudjohnsen, Fish, Jensen et al. we had no money but their sales kept the club afloat whilst a side was assembled on peanuts that took us back up.

I guess what I'm saying is that we're not going to get money for the rubbish we've got. So at some point we're going to be selling Lee as he's one of the few assets who might give us half a chance of staying afloat and possibly brigning in a few to ultimately give us a better chance.

Jez
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jez » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:46 pm

Luciano Becchio handed in a transfer request at LUFC

probably will make his way to the prem but I'd love us to have a go

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:59 pm

Official Twitter: Freedman confirms Fiorentina offer for Alonso has been rebuffed as too low.
Freedman: "We received a bid for Marcos Alonso from Fiorentina yesterday and didn't feel it was enough. We let Marcos know and rejected it."

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:05 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
I agree. But there comes a time when we're going to have to sell to hopefully rebuild.

What we've got now isn't going to magically start producing much more.

So at some stage we'll need to hope for a miracle I suspect. And those sellable assets like LCY will be the only path to any sort of chance we have of being able to build a squad capable of going somewhere.

Like selling Gudjohnsen, Fish, Jensen et al. we had no money but their sales kept the club afloat whilst a side was assembled on peanuts that took us back up.

I guess what I'm saying is that we're not going to get money for the rubbish we've got. So at some point we're going to be selling Lee as he's one of the few assets who might give us half a chance of staying afloat and possibly brigning in a few to ultimately give us a better chance.
I've no problem with the selling of players to rebuild. I just don't think January with a week of window left is the time to do it. Work with what we have and a few loans until the end of the season. If we sell now and end up short in some areas it could be the difference to put us dangerously close to the drop. Might seem far fetched, but all it will take is a bad run.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:12 pm

Greg Wilde's going to Hibs, according to Bury's Manager. :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:16 pm

is he some kind of spv we're using to move shit around or summat

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:19 pm

Scary that Coyle wanted to spend actual money on him before he went to Rangers.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:27 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Scary that Coyle wanted to spend actual money on him before he went to Rangers.
Is that Tom Jones I can hear playing in the background?
May the bridges I burn light your way