What to expect from Dougie ...

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: What to expect from Dougie ...

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:05 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Hoboh wrote:Simple answer is Cloughie spent £1 mill not on a forward but a keeper, unheard of at the time because he reckoned success started from the back!
No he didn't.
I just checked & it was £250k. It is true to say however that managers didn't prioritise keepers, generally.

However, when I did check I saw that he joined from Stoke, not Leicester. He'd spent 3 years there having signed for £325k in 1974 !! He had actually LOST value in that time.

Bloody amazing.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:24 pm

Aye, I seem to recall Clough believed not in building from the back but through the middle by creating a strong spine i.e. Keeper, centre half, centre mid & striker. Shilton was an inspired signing at Forest but then so was Kenny Burns and the actual million pound player he did sign - Trevor Francis.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:46 pm

Clough, an inspired man that made many inspired deals in the transfer market.

The man that I believe made all his best teams great and who never gets a mention, John McGovern.

We don't have a McGovern yet, but I fancy there's one on the way.

Fingers crossed.

wembley1995
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by wembley1995 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:03 pm

I think he will be great for this football club

We just need patience with him

We have had a squad thats got used to losing to be honest and his injection of fresh faces is just what we need

The driftwood has left and hes working on fitness and work ethic and people that want to be here and fight for places

Far too long have we had players picking up wage packets and on for the free ride milking the club whereas in time (i hope) will be the club producing players and not us getting tripe players in

If we dont make the playoffs this year (i dont think we will to be honest) id love to see the pre season fitness regime those players are going to go through (one word=beasting!!!)

This isnt a quick fix! remember our fall from grace wasnt overnight but in time i think we will return to the premiership stronger and fitter with more passion

Itl just take time and patience
We're bolton wanderers we'll fight to the END!