Seeing as no-one else has. HULL.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

wanderers_on_tour
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Seeing as no-one else has. HULL.

Post by wanderers_on_tour » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:39 pm

Sponge wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
mrkint wrote:Dougie's comments after the game to the beeb...speaks highly of Dawson's influence
Dougie Freedman said rather than wrote:Craig Dawson has bought into what we are trying to do and he is a good guy. He has also brought a confidence to Zat Knight and Adam Bogdan.
When the ball gets crossed into crucial areas one of those three are dealing with it. He has got the presence to demand certain standards of people around him and he is bringing the best out of Zat.
It shows you what we are capable of and a result like this has been coming. It's been difficult for the players and the club since they suffered relegation. There has been a lot of expectation but I know how good they can be. It's just very pleasing to beat a good Hull team.
He's right.

Dawson is the sort of player we needed last season, let alone this.

A proper centre half, heads everything.

Really like him.

Watching the Derby game, it was almost laughable how much better he looked than just about every other player on the pitch. Whenever the ball went in his direction, I felt confident that he would win the header or make the tackle or play the right pass, and it's been a long time since I've felt that about one of our defenders (since Cahill left, I guess, but Dawson seems to be more of a marshall than Gary, who always struck me as rather shy and quiet).

I know we've seen very little of him, so it's a bit of a silly question, but since we're on the internet I'll put it out there anyway: Would you sell Ngog if it meant we could keep Dawson?
Even at this early point, without a doubt. Ngog is a GOOD striker, Dawson is a GREAT defender. Managed to get down to the 'Bok today and agree with all the comments on here, pure class. We'll be lucky if we make a profit on Ngog (again I quite like the bloke) but Dawson seems to be heading the same way as Cahill, i'd love it if he stayed around as long as Gary did but if West Brom don't want him back, someone else bigger then us most definitely will..

hi there, i'm chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by hi there, i'm chris » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:49 pm

I can't say I know a lot about West Brom's defence, but why on earth isn't this lad in their starting eleven every week?!
http://www.twitter.com/chrisbradish" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:51 pm

wanderers_on_tour wrote:
Sponge wrote:

Watching the Derby game, it was almost laughable how much better he looked than just about every other player on the pitch. Whenever the ball went in his direction, I felt confident that he would win the header or make the tackle or play the right pass, and it's been a long time since I've felt that about one of our defenders (since Cahill left, I guess, but Dawson seems to be more of a marshall than Gary, who always struck me as rather shy and quiet).

I know we've seen very little of him, so it's a bit of a silly question, but since we're on the internet I'll put it out there anyway: Would you sell Ngog if it meant we could keep Dawson?
Even at this early point, without a doubt. Ngog is a GOOD striker, Dawson is a GREAT defender. Managed to get down to the 'Bok today and agree with all the comments on here, pure class. We'll be lucky if we make a profit on Ngog (again I quite like the bloke) but Dawson seems to be heading the same way as Cahill, i'd love it if he stayed around as long as Gary did but if West Brom don't want him back, someone else bigger then us most definitely will..
Agree with that. As long as he stays fit, he's sure to play for a top team. It's amazing how obvious it is when you're watching the game live: those kinds of players, especially in comparison with the cloggers that are around at this level, seem just to glide across the pitch. The ball sticks to their feet, they hang in the air a moment longer than everyone else, their passes are crisp and flat and direct. A bit like Holden (RIP) before his injury.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:53 pm

Got up this morning and was convinced bruce had the indian sign over us and we were in for a shoeing. Very wrong!

I think its a result we have been due...we'll play like that and not win sometimes. We're due luck and some things clicking. Fingers crossed we use it to move on. Been here before though and lost the next one.

Would like to see Dawson and Wheats together. Cos I dont like Knight. But if douggie can pick more up like him we'll be reet!

Holden - where was he?

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:30 pm

Have to say, what I like about Dawson most is that he isn't afraid to tell Zat Knight what to do, and he does need telling!

hi there, i'm chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by hi there, i'm chris » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:33 pm

If he'd scored the 4 he should've against Burnley, and been credited with the goal against Derby, he'd be our top scorer right now.
http://www.twitter.com/chrisbradish" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:47 pm

Also glad kevin davies stayed sat on his arse today

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:48 pm

We'd better get a good showing on these fecking highlights.

Edit: Great. About 60 seconds with none of the build-up to the first goal – supposedly one of the best of the season.
Last edited by Sponge on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:58 pm

Sponge wrote:We'd better get a good showing on these fecking highlights.
Nope. Got maybe a minute then?

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:04 am

They're showing the highlights from every football league fixture this weekend. In just over an hour. What were you expecting?!

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:07 am

mrkint wrote:They're showing the highlights from every football league fixture this weekend. In just over an hour. What were you expecting?!

A good half an hour followed by in-depth analysis. :conf:

Afobe actually looks decent for Millwall.

CarlosHernandez
Promising
Promising

Post by CarlosHernandez » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:17 am

Bloody Dawson is the best striker we have. Sign that boy up!

Toni_DelijeSever
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Toni_DelijeSever » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:28 am

Still no highlights? Here...

http://www.footreview.net/home/viewvide ... -hull-city" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaVIQoyFue0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:43 am

Toni_DelijeSever wrote:Still no highlights? Here...

http://www.footreview.net/home/viewvide ... -hull-city" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks, Tony - always appreciated by we foreigners.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:51 am

Cheers for that.

wonka
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by wonka » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:34 am

Best performance all season for me. The whole team was outstanding, but for me, Mavies and Dawson are responsible for turning us around and making us look almost invincible. First time this season we looked like a top team again.

Must admit I'd never heard of Dawson when he arrived, just assumed he was here as squad cover. But this guy could end up getting us into the play offs. Even Knight looks a good defender playing alongside him. Dawson should be fighting for an England place, not playing in the championship, but very grateful to have him for a few months.

Apologies for managing to find at least one negative, but every time Alonso had to defend it gave me the collywobbles - he looked out of his depth, with all his intentional stumbling he looks like he's trying to drag down his man and get yellow carded every time, and the ref warned him about it. No wonder he got sent off at Forest. He is terrific going forward, but for me, the weak link at the back. Just hope he can sort himself out.
... of course I may just be talking bo11ocks

wonka
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by wonka » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:44 am

according to Wikipedia, Dawson's a local lad too, Rochdale.
... of course I may just be talking bo11ocks

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:43 am

officer_dibble wrote:Also glad kevin davies stayed sat on his arse today
Even on a day when we win 4-1 you still want to kick a man not even on the field? If we'd been two up with 15 to go and under siege, that's when he'd be there for the team in doing a lone hold-up in their half. He wasn't needed yesterday, there'll be days when he is. We played yesterday, again on Tuesday and then next Saturday. Tuesday may see him figuring depends on how it goes. We won't get three in seven minutes in many games. N'gog's had plenty stick on here and Pratley more, yet now they're heroes. Kicking your own just baffles the shxt out of me.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:47 am

To sum up:

Bogdan: Had a fair bit to do in little spells but made a couple of vital saves
Alonso: Plays well going forward and linked very well with Spearing/Chungy/Mavies but gives me palpitations when he's got a player with speed running at him
Dawson is the difference. As been said before I cannot understand why he's not being picked for West Brom and I would love it if we could afford to keep him but honestly can't see it.
Knight: Seems to revel in having another ball playing CB at the side of him
Ricketts: Steady eddie, I think he's lost a couple of yards of pace as well
CYL: One of his better games for us, fulling of running. I wish the ref would have given him a bit more protection got clobbered a couple of times and got nothing
Mavies: Coming back from his injury he looked back to his best, however he'll need performances like this all the time
Spearing: I don't understand why folks don't like him, he was everything we needed him to be yesterday
Pratley: That'll do Dazza, that'll do
N'Gog: Good link up play, rubbish when he has time to think but cracking when working off instinct.
Sordell: Personally, I thought he played well. Having seen Dawson's first a couple of times I'm not sure that it did cross and I'm sure the goal should be awarded to Marv but hey ho

Subs:
Craig Davies: Not a whole lot to do, shame they changed the formation towards the end and he cut a lonely figure but I still like that he has a very work man like ethic
Wheats: Just good to see him back
Kamara: The tiny bit I saw thought he looked composed on the ball, showed a few nice touches
Pfffft.

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:03 pm

TKIZ! wrote:To sum up:

Bogdan: Had a fair bit to do in little spells but made a couple of vital saves
Alonso: Plays well going forward and linked very well with Spearing/Chungy/Mavies but gives me palpitations when he's got a player with speed running at him
Dawson is the difference. As been said before I cannot understand why he's not being picked for West Brom and I would love it if we could afford to keep him but honestly can't see it.
Knight: Seems to revel in having another ball playing CB at the side of him
Ricketts: Steady eddie, I think he's lost a couple of yards of pace as well
CYL: One of his better games for us, fulling of running. I wish the ref would have given him a bit more protection got clobbered a couple of times and got nothing
Mavies: Coming back from his injury he looked back to his best, however he'll need performances like this all the time
Spearing: I don't understand why folks don't like him, he was everything we needed him to be yesterday
Pratley: That'll do Dazza, that'll do
N'Gog: Good link up play, rubbish when he has time to think but cracking when working off instinct.
Sordell: Personally, I thought he played well. Having seen Dawson's first a couple of times I'm not sure that it did cross and I'm sure the goal should be awarded to Marv but hey ho

Subs:
Craig Davies: Not a whole lot to do, shame they changed the formation towards the end and he cut a lonely figure but I still like that he has a very work man like ethic
Wheats: Just good to see him back
Kamara: The tiny bit I saw thought he looked composed on the ball, showed a few nice touches

Are you implying Zat Knight's a ball-playing centre back? :shock: