Seeing as no-one else has. HULL.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

wanderer10
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Seeing as no-one else has. HULL.

Post by wanderer10 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:20 pm

wonka wrote:Best performance all season for me. The whole team was outstanding, but for me, Mavies and Dawson are responsible for turning us around and making us look almost invincible. First time this season we looked like a top team again.

Must admit I'd never heard of Dawson when he arrived, just assumed he was here as squad cover. But this guy could end up getting us into the play offs. Even Knight looks a good defender playing alongside him. Dawson should be fighting for an England place, not playing in the championship, but very grateful to have him for a few months.

Apologies for managing to find at least one negative, but every time Alonso had to defend it gave me the collywobbles - he looked out of his depth, with all his intentional stumbling he looks like he's trying to drag down his man and get yellow carded every time, and the ref warned him about it. No wonder he got sent off at Forest. He is terrific going forward, but for me, the weak link at the back. Just hope he can sort himself out.
I agree with this about Alonso. He has been one of our better player in the past few months but today he looked like what he used to. Clumsy and lucky to stay on the pitch. By the time he got the yellow he could have had 4. When he had the ball he didn't seem comfortable today either. Hopefully just a bad day.
"In 1874 boys of Christchurch Sunday School along with their master Thomas Ogden established a football club which went under the name of the school. The club broke away in 1877 and became Bolton Wanderers Football Club"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:26 pm

Alonso and Ricketts were both poor.

Full back is an area we need to address.

Though I think Mears is ok.

wanderer10
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by wanderer10 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:35 pm

Ricketts is just simply too slow. He is going the way Robbo did
"In 1874 boys of Christchurch Sunday School along with their master Thomas Ogden established a football club which went under the name of the school. The club broke away in 1877 and became Bolton Wanderers Football Club"

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:47 pm

If Ricketts slowed to snail pace he'd still be a better defender than Alonso
Sto ut Serviam

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:31 pm

I bet Ricketts was chuffed at having to play right wing back for the last few minutes!
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:58 pm

That is how you set up a 4-4-2. Very much like the Italian version in recent years minus the marauding full backs. Really missed Mavies(my French friend called him petit Zizou), the creativity he provides in either this system or the usual formation has been one of the reasons why we haven't looked like scoring recently. First 10 minutes were just insane.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Gail Platz » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:38 pm

officer_dibble wrote: Would like to see Dawson and Wheats together. Cos I dont like Knight.
Absolutely valid point there :roll:

Zat Knight was solid yesterday and doesn't deserve to be dropped after that performance. Wheater can wait his turn. Why change something that worked against a promotion chasing side?

He even tried a Cruyff turn that completely didn't come off.

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Gail Platz » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:40 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Alonso and Ricketts were both poor.

Full back is an area we need to address.

Though I think Mears is ok.
Pass round whatever you've been smoking/consuming.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:35 pm

Sponge wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:To sum up:

Bogdan: Had a fair bit to do in little spells but made a couple of vital saves
Alonso: Plays well going forward and linked very well with Spearing/Chungy/Mavies but gives me palpitations when he's got a player with speed running at him
Dawson is the difference. As been said before I cannot understand why he's not being picked for West Brom and I would love it if we could afford to keep him but honestly can't see it.
Knight: Seems to revel in having another ball playing CB at the side of him
Ricketts: Steady eddie, I think he's lost a couple of yards of pace as well
CYL: One of his better games for us, fulling of running. I wish the ref would have given him a bit more protection got clobbered a couple of times and got nothing
Mavies: Coming back from his injury he looked back to his best, however he'll need performances like this all the time
Spearing: I don't understand why folks don't like him, he was everything we needed him to be yesterday
Pratley: That'll do Dazza, that'll do
N'Gog: Good link up play, rubbish when he has time to think but cracking when working off instinct.
Sordell: Personally, I thought he played well. Having seen Dawson's first a couple of times I'm not sure that it did cross and I'm sure the goal should be awarded to Marv but hey ho

Subs:
Craig Davies: Not a whole lot to do, shame they changed the formation towards the end and he cut a lonely figure but I still like that he has a very work man like ethic
Wheats: Just good to see him back
Kamara: The tiny bit I saw thought he looked composed on the ball, showed a few nice touches

Are you implying Zat Knight's a ball-playing centre back? :shock:
Nope, I was implying that he plays well when he has a ball playing CB at the side of him, like for example Cahill
Pfffft.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:17 pm

mrkint wrote:
Dougie Freedman said rather than wrote:Craig Dawson has bought into what we are trying to do and he is a good guy. He has also brought a confidence to Zat Knight and Adam Bogdan.
Don't that tell you absolutely everything about Zat Shite. Shouldn't he be instilling confidence into this kid from Rochdale, the laughably capped-for-England Zat Shite?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:51 am

Gail Platz wrote:
officer_dibble wrote: Would like to see Dawson and Wheats together. Cos I dont like Knight.
Absolutely valid point there :roll:
It is in my book. :D

Bruno3
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Bruno3 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:29 am

Just wanted to put in a word for Pratley (no - not crap, useless or one of the others that have been used to describe his efforts) - but don't know which word does him justice. The man just runs and runs all day - covered every blade of grass - when it looked like Hull might have a break on he was the one tracking back to cover. He may not have the best ball control and can't hit a killer pass (even though it's obvious he knows where to put it). His efforts allow Mavies just that bit more freedom to do his thing.

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:43 am

Bruno3 wrote:Just wanted to put in a word for Pratley (no - not crap, useless or one of the others that have been used to describe his efforts) - but don't know which word does him justice. The man just runs and runs all day - covered every blade of grass - when it looked like Hull might have a break on he was the one tracking back to cover. He may not have the best ball control and can't hit a killer pass (even though it's obvious he knows where to put it). His efforts allow Mavies just that bit more freedom to do his thing.

You've pretty much described Muamba at his best (and, although he's now virtually beatified, it's worth remembering that for a long time, as with Pratley, Muamba was the fans' – and this forum's – whipping boy).

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:09 am

Pratley is not like Muamba.

He's like a less good, but more mobile and athletic Kevin Nolan.

Covers so much ground its unreal. And clearly has an eye for a run or two and arrives in the box well.

I think he could get 10+ goals if played behind the right front man in the right system.

Anyhow we're seeing the player that I expected to when we signed him. Another one that Coyle completely mis-managed and never even tried to get the best out of.

89bwfc89
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by 89bwfc89 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:13 am

Always had a soft spot for Pratley. He tries and he looks like he wants to be here playing for us. I really was chuffed when he got that goal, it'll do wonders for his confidence.

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:18 am

When Radio Manchester dropped off the air (for contractual reasons) I tuned into 5Live Sports Extra to see if they had us on commentary (fat chance). It was the rugby so I tuned to yer very own 5 live.

'Another goal at the Reebok....'

Oh for Christ's sake - I thought to myself, what's going on now?

THREE NIL? THREE? 3?

Obviously I knew the eventual capitulation would come and was just preparing myself for the dramatic last minute winner from Hull when the full time whistle went and we'd won. 4-1.

What a difference a win makes. Great move for Pratley's, great finish from M Davies and great pressure for the other two.

That's more like it Bolton. In a million years I couldn't have seen that result coming. Is it really all down to Dawson? Does he have the quality that relaxes the rest of the team? Good to see some competition for places now too. Getting to the stage when no one is guaranteed a place in the first XI.

Let's see if we can put our foot on the pedal now and pick up some back-to-back's eh?

Come on you Whites!
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:36 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Pratley ...... Another one that Coyle completely mis-managed and never even tried to get the best out of.
He has a lot of making up to do to convince me he'll make it, but tbf, he's making a good try at it now.

But, yes, you get the impression that Coyle was like a kid at Christmas. I want, I want, I want .... opens the package & adfter a little play puts it down & ends up playing with the box it came in.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:39 am

bobo the clown wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Pratley ...... Another one that Coyle completely mis-managed and never even tried to get the best out of.
He has a lot of making up to do to convince me he'll make it, but tbf, he's making a good try at it now.

But, yes, you get the impression that Coyle was like a kid at Christmas. I want, I want, I want .... opens the package & adfter a little play puts it down & ends up playing with the box it came in.
He's clearly not premiership class on the ball most of the time (with the odd exception, the pass at Forest for example).

BUT nobody can tell me that the Pratley we're seeing now wouldn't have been massively useful in midfield in the relegation fight last season.

If Coyle had got this level out of him he could have made a difference when we were struggling without Muamba, NRC had an injury and we were short there.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:43 am

On Saturday I was not able to watch/listen to/log onto the match. I was in a car, driving, at kick-off time, on the way to the airport with friends who live abroad aboard. I asked Gobby Mick, sat in the front passenger seat to use his phone to catch up with the team news. Apparently he'd never done that kind of thing before (I suppose after 10 years of living in France there would never have been any opportunity to explore the ins and outs of BBC Sport webpages) so it took a while for me to instruct him where to navigate to on his phone. Then we lost signal for a while. Finally he got there and said it was 11 minutes into the match. "What's the score?" I asked automatically, "3-0" he said nonchalantly. "Oh fer fecks sake" I wailed. That's what pessimism does to you. :lol:
It was only as he reeled out the scorers that I realised it was us that was 3 nil up.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:51 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

He's clearly not premiership class on the ball most of the time (with the odd exception, the pass at Forest for example).

BUT nobody can tell me that the Pratley we're seeing now wouldn't have been massively useful in midfield in the relegation fight last season.

If Coyle had got this level out of him he could have made a difference when we were struggling without Muamba, NRC had an injury and we were short there.
It was noticeable how good Pratley was - and indeed, how intelligent he was - at Watford, with his movement and running. Always seemed to have space when he picked up the ball and dragged defenders this way and that. Operating between their defence and midfield, no one knew who was supposed to follow him. And if you have someone like that who is also a goal threat, it don't half give space to those who can utilise it properly (Mavies, LCY, etc).

It sounds a bit callous to say but even so I will - if he had a hint of ability with the ball at his feet he'd be a world-beater. It's so frustrating watching him do the right thing in terms of receiving the ball in space, and then knock a five yard pass into the stands, somehow. But even so, he still brings something to the team and is rather selfless in his job. If he can chip in with a few goals a season, be tackle back, and create space for those with more ability around him, then good on the lad.

D-Pratz :pray: