Dawson

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

AwesomeDawson
Hopeful
Hopeful

Dawson

Post by AwesomeDawson » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:44 pm

Rochdale fan here. Just thought I'd say hello. And see what you all make of your new centre back.

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Dawson

Post by Leyther_Matt » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:31 pm

Absolute class. Hope we get the chance to sign him permanently.
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:37 pm

Yep, he's going to be a top player. Baffled as to why WBA let him go on loan.

Edit: I just had a brief look on a West Brom forum and none of the fans (nor, apparently, the manager) seem to rate him. He's described as "surplus to requirements" and "never prem class", and the general consensus seems to be that if they could get £3M for him they'd be laughing. If that's the case, we should try to sign him permanently. He'll be going to United or Chelsea for £12M in a couple of seasons.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:51 pm

Whereas players like Warnock and De Ridder were try-before-you-buy (if you can afford them), Dawson is more like a Sturridge/Wilshire type loan from what I can make out.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

AwesomeDawson
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by AwesomeDawson » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:56 pm

Great to hear. He's not really had a chance at West Brom. I think if Hodgson was still there he would have been given more opportunities as he rated him very highly. Obviously Pearce rates him to he's scored 5 in 11 for the under 21's and was taken to the Olympics.

Hope he continues to do well for you (my dads a Bolton fan although he can't make the games anymore). I think we're still owed money for different clauses though so if you do buy him dig deep into those pockets of yours ;-) haha.

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:03 pm

Sponge wrote:Yep, he's going to be a top player. Baffled as to why WBA let him go on loan.

Edit: I just had a brief look on a West Brom forum and none of the fans (nor, apparently, the manager) seem to rate him. He's described as "surplus to requirements" and "never prem class", and the general consensus seems to be that if they could get £3M for him they'd be laughing. If that's the case, we should try to sign him permanently. He'll be going to United or Chelsea for £12M in a couple of seasons.
I really hope that is true. Judging by his Wiki he hasn't played for a couple of years, baffling to see why not. I think he'll be a top flight regular for sure.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:10 pm

Sponge wrote:Yep, he's going to be a top player. Baffled as to why WBA let him go on loan.

Christ! If there's even a chance at that price I'd snap him up now. On his performances so far I think most of us would be happy to sell a kidney to help raise that sort of fee.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

AwesomeDawson
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by AwesomeDawson » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:15 pm

He started his professional career at 18 with Rochdale played every game scored 9 goals and was instrumental in getting Rochdale promoted to League 1 for the first time in 40 odd years. We then sold him to WBA for pennies and loaned him back for a season. In that season he again played pretty much every game scored 10 league goals and helped us reach our highest ever league position. Last season at WBA he got the odd game but spent a lot of time on the bench however he did play in the U21 games and then the olympics. This season has been more of the same for him. So it's good he's now getting some first team games.

Oh and before Rochdale he played for Radcliffe Borough which isn't too far from Bolton.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:25 pm

He's a good defender, definitely. I'd like to see him partnered with someone better than Knight, and its a testament to Dawson's ability that he structures our defence rather than the vastly experienced Knight. Hopefully we see a Dawson/Wheater combination soon.

He's unusually good inside the opposing box. He has better movement there than anyone in our squad, and it's not close either. Watch him and Knight when they go forward, and you'll see why Knight very rarely scores whereas Dawson is a genuine goal threat. Those extra 6 or 7 goals per full season could be vital to a side like us too.

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Gail Platz » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:34 pm

I sniff another Gary Cahill, can't get in at a midlands club, sign him up and he goes to a top club in a few years.

He's been very good since he signed, easily our best signing of the season.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:32 pm

Sponge wrote:Edit: I just had a brief look on a West Brom forum and none of the fans (nor, apparently, the manager) seem to rate him. He's described as "surplus to requirements" and "never prem class", and the general consensus seems to be that if they could get £3M for him they'd be laughing. If that's the case, we should try to sign him permanently. He'll be going to United or Chelsea for £12M in a couple of seasons.
Stand corrected :D
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:22 pm

Gail Platz wrote:I sniff another Gary Cahill
Glad it's not just me, Fella. Good defender, confident ball player, knows where the goal is when forward. I'd be sorting out a done-deal for the end of the season if I were Garty (and if it's allowed)
May the bridges I burn light your way

wonka
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by wonka » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:50 pm

I thought I'd read this week (probably on here, or BN) that Steve Clarke had issued a "you've got no chance" sort of statement, that he was just here to get games under his belt and develop his game. Sounds like Clarke regards him as one for the future.

Of course, if there is even just a sniff of WBA considering selling, we really need to get in there and offer 4 or £5m. Cos he'll be worth double that in a couple of years.

If he continues at the present standard, I would rate him as highly as Cahill. And in fact, although Cahill is a great defender, Cahill will never be a leader or a player who can organise the back line. But Dawson is.
... of course I may just be talking bo11ocks

gavlat2872
Promising
Promising

Post by gavlat2872 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:58 pm

wonka wrote:I thought I'd read this week (probably on here, or BN) that Steve Clarke had issued a "you've got no chance" sort of statement, that he was just here to get games under his belt and develop his game. Sounds like Clarke regards him as one for the future.

Of course, if there is even just a sniff of WBA considering selling, we really need to get in there and offer 4 or £5m. Cos he'll be worth double that in a couple of years.

If he continues at the present standard, I would rate him as highly as Cahill. And in fact, although Cahill is a great defender, Cahill will never be a leader or a player who can organise the back line. But Dawson is.
Yeah, WBA like to keep reminding us that this is purely a loan deal, unfortunately for us.

I'd love to see the club sign him, i'd be happy with a part ex. Ngog + £5 mill would be a bargain for us.

ive seen him as a bit of a cahill. But i think that's just because any good defender for us really stands out as that's the one area we've had a lot of dramas with. I reckon he will be a lot better than cahill. Where he is at his age, he can only improve. He's going to be easily the best Centre back in the Prem, possibly the world

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:08 pm

Wow.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:15 pm

gavlat2872 wrote:
wonka wrote:I thought I'd read this week (probably on here, or BN) that Steve Clarke had issued a "you've got no chance" sort of statement, that he was just here to get games under his belt and develop his game. Sounds like Clarke regards him as one for the future.

Yeah, WBA like to keep reminding us that this is purely a loan deal, unfortunately for us.

I'd love to see the club sign him, i'd be happy with a part ex. Ngog + £5 mill would be a bargain for us.

ive seen him as a bit of a cahill. But i think that's just because any good defender for us really stands out as that's the one area we've had a lot of dramas with. I reckon he will be a lot better than cahill. Where he is at his age, he can only improve. He's going to be easily the best Centre back in the Prem, possibly the world
In regards to your bargain, have have you calculated Ngog as a net liability or asset? Seems pretty high a value for a defender not considered good enough to start for WBA.

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:17 pm

gavlat2872 wrote:

:lol: :pray:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:15 am

Too early to judge yet, although he looks handy enough. Not sure I agree that we should be bidding £4-5m for him ASAP. We'll do well to get that back of he signs a 3 yr contract, which seems to be the norm at BWFC.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:06 am

He's exactly what we need.

But there is no way on gods green earth that we will be spending any number of millions of pounds on him.

Because A) West Brom have repeatedly said he's not for sale.

And B) We are a bottom half championship side with a big debt and a huge (relatively) wage bill.

We won't be spending 3/4/5 Million pounds on anyone anymore.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:31 am

Course West Brom say he's not for sale

They might actually mean it
Sto ut Serviam