Tuesday night with Venkys

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

ROVERS F.C.
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Tuesday night with Venkys

Post by ROVERS F.C. » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:48 pm

OH WELL!..two defeats against your lot...matters are really bad!

Was like a scene from the Keystone cops after the game last night,idiots one and all of them.

SEE YOU NEXT SEASON TROTTERS!!
:wink:
PROUD BLACKBURN ROVERS FC....THE MOST SUCCESSFUL TOWN CLUB IN THE UK

Jez
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jez » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:03 pm

thebish wrote:
Jez wrote: Also, was anyone else at the game unconvinced by knight? his distribution is utterly awful. he never looks comfortable on the ball and always just goes for a crap long ball to kev that never really reaches its target, frustrating as the rest of the team seemed less inclined to do that and wanted to play some nicer stuff accross the ground.
if he's not comfortable on the ball, then I'd rather he welly it forward than attempt some fancy stuff across the back four!!
Well I can understand that kind of thing when the pressures on, but there were points where he had all the time in the world to find someone like ricketts or spearing but just kept opting to boot it up to the strikers, while kev was on and still after he'd gone off.

Jez
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jez » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:10 pm

thebish wrote:
WeAreTheRovers wrote:Before anyone asks about Muamba chants, I was in the corner near the Bolton fans and I didn't hear anything.
so far - unless I missed summat, this rumour still hasn't been confirmed by anyone who went to the game...
I heard nothing either, I suspect it was probably a very small group of drunken morons who got shut down by the rest of the crowd fairly quickly

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:20 pm

Jez wrote:
thebish wrote:
WeAreTheRovers wrote:Before anyone asks about Muamba chants, I was in the corner near the Bolton fans and I didn't hear anything.
so far - unless I missed summat, this rumour still hasn't been confirmed by anyone who went to the game...
I heard nothing either, I suspect it was probably a very small group of drunken morons who got shut down by the rest of the crowd fairly quickly
Lad I work with said they were singing about Fab.....

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:18 pm

Hooooray!

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:20 pm

This was so beautiful ... what is life without hope.. keep believing.

Lennon'sEleven
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Lennon'sEleven » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:59 pm

Dougie'sEleven wrote:
Sponge wrote:
as wrote:
I'm speaking for all Bolton fans when I say - fúck off and die, Jackburn.

Sad.
Very sad. I'm happy that we're above Blackburn, but wishing a club dead is an odd one for me. Even those like City and Chelsea - it wasn't the fans fault they got bought out.

Anyway, I for one think my world is a little richer for the Blackburn Bolton derby - loved the one we won after Muamba's collapse, and will never forget the Stu Holden winner that left Big Sam fuming. Very much hoping to have another story to add to those in around 8 hours time. And many more after that.

To be clear, as does not speak for me.

(Edited for typos. Several.)
A last gasp minute winner will do very nicely indeed.
Formerly known as Meg'sEleven. And Owen'sEleven. And Dougie'sEleven. We're getting through them aren't we...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:22 pm

Jez wrote:
thebish wrote:
Jez wrote:Also, was anyone else at the game unconvinced by knight? his distribution is utterly awful. he never looks comfortable on the ball and always just goes for a crap long ball to kev that never really reaches its target, frustrating as the rest of the team seemed less inclined to do that and wanted to play some nicer stuff accross the ground.
if he's not comfortable on the ball, then I'd rather he welly it forward than attempt some fancy stuff across the back four!!
Well I can understand that kind of thing when the pressures on, but there were points where he had all the time in the world to find someone like ricketts or spearing but just kept opting to boot it up to the strikers, while kev was on and still after he'd gone off.
Centre-backs knocking it long is usually the product of midfielders/full-backs not wanting it short, managers wanting to "go from back to front quickly" or the centre-back pretending to be a quarter-back. I don't like any of those very often at all. Knight should have least five, preferably seven nearer options than the centre-forward. If not, summat's up.

Didn't see the game but perhaps it was that Zat's long balls were more noticeable as people got more frustrated as the game wore on. (Easy as ever to blame KD but long balls are always easier to lose: "playing the percentages" is a misnomer.)

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:30 pm

Went last night and the crowd when that goal went in it reminds you why we go and watch this game.

1st half was poor with little of note, only thing I saw was the link up play between Chungy and Alonso which is excellent at times.

Some one said Medo had a good game? a good second half maybe but in the first he wasn't the best, his passing was piss poor.

Chris Eagle, biggest feck u in a long time. His celebration was worth the long drive!

Great result and great atmosphere.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:36 pm

A "long ball" produced last night's winner. The same produced Stu Holden's winner against Blackburn. The moral is that there needs to be somebody there to take advantage. All too often, with KD, there isn't. When he has no support it's a totally pointless excercise.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:51 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:A "long ball" produced last night's winner. The same produced Stu Holden's winner against Blackburn. The moral is that there needs to be somebody there to take advantage. All too often, with KD, there isn't. When he has no support it's a totally pointless excercise.
TD, with all due respect KD gets the same support as the other strikers. Your image of him battling up there manfully on his own is just not right, I'm sorry.

KD had Ngog up there and Chungy supporting him just the same as Craig Davies had NGog and Eagles.

The problem with KD is that he simply hasn't got the running, effort, determination or battling qualities in him anymore. He doesn't, and most likely cant do what he used to do.

We need two strikers who can chase and pressurise defenders and put a real shift in.

He just can't anymore.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:52 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:A "long ball" produced last night's winner. The same produced Stu Holden's winner against Blackburn. The moral is that there needs to be somebody there to take advantage. All too often, with KD, there isn't. When he has no support it's a totally pointless excercise.
TD, with all due respect KD gets the same support as the other strikers. Your image of him battling up there manfully on his own is just not right, I'm sorry.

KD had Ngog up there and Chungy supporting him just the same as Craig Davies had NGog and Eagles.

The problem with KD is that he simply hasn't got the running, effort, determination or battling qualities in him anymore. He doesn't, and most likely cant do what he used to do.

We need two strikers who can chase and pressurise defenders and put a real shift in.

He just can't anymore.
For me, KD looked lost last night.....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:53 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

He just can't anymore.
For me, KD looked lost last night.....
He's looked lost all season.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:12 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
FFS....Don't talk stupid man. I don't have an image of him "battling manfully on his own". I'm talking about whanging high balls in his direction that he gets a head/flick on then gets the moans because nobody is up with him when it happens. I haven't seen the man but once this season but I know what his strengths are, so, if we do use him, then don't keep blaming him for what he can't do much about, ie, the two-feet above his head balls he often gets. If Craig Davies becomes the new KD, unless he gets the support, around him to take advantage he'll be just as pointless in that role. Oh, for a Kevin Phillips up there with him. Think Niall Quin and Phillips, think Toshack and Keegan.....I think I might actually be glad when KD does stop figuring in things. At least he won't have to take all the shxt that's talked about him.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Relentless09 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:16 pm

There is high possibility SKD won't be here next season and realistically the chances off making the play offs are very slim, it'd love to see SKD ending his career with a few starts and some goals.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:17 pm

Start of the 2nd half Kev won 4 headers on the spin including 1 that produced a real goal scoring opportunity and Ngog was nowhere near any of them. He faded badly after that though, and like I posted before, I think Ngog adn the team play better now when SKD is off the field.

Forgot who posted it (sorry) but yes, those moments are why we love football. I haven't reacted to a goal like that for years. Feckin beautiful. Good pay back for those 2 years running they scored late equalizers at the Bok.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:19 pm

We won last night despite him

Tis all
Sto ut Serviam

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:37 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
FFS....Don't talk stupid man. I don't have an image of him "battling manfully on his own". I'm talking about whanging high balls in his direction that he gets a head/flick on then gets the moans because nobody is up with him when it happens.
if you are saying nobody is up with him - then aren't you saying he's up there on his own?? :conf:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:39 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
FFS....Don't talk stupid man. I don't have an image of him "battling manfully on his own". I'm talking about whanging high balls in his direction that he gets a head/flick on then gets the moans because nobody is up with him when it happens. I haven't seen the man but once this season but I know what his strengths are, so, if we do use him, then don't keep blaming him for what he can't do much about, ie, the two-feet above his head balls he often gets. If Craig Davies becomes the new KD, unless he gets the support, around him to take advantage he'll be just as pointless in that role. Oh, for a Kevin Phillips up there with him. Think Niall Quin and Phillips, think Toshack and Keegan.....I think I might actually be glad when KD does stop figuring in things. At least he won't have to take all the shxt that's talked about him.
What is it he can do then? Now? Not five seasons ago?

If he doesn't want the ball to be pumped up at him, then I suggest he offers some movement.

Craig Davies peels out wide for the long diagonal to feet, and gets it and stretches teams with some pace and direct running.

Sordell drops out into the channels for the ball into feet.

They don't have balls fired at their heads often.

The reason KD does is because when we have the ball, he stands still on his defender and offers no movement to help the team. Ngog drops into midfield for the ball.

We get players around KD for long balls, but frankly it's a fairly erratic tactic and he often doesn't win the ball nowadays.

KD doesn't want anything other than long balls. Because when he gets it to feet, what's he gonna do with it? Take five touches, then fall over, more often than not.

Bare minimum he has to offer movement in a front two a willingness to chase and work the channels and a goal threat. Surely that's a minimum requirement, wouldn't you think?

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:43 pm

Players like Kevin Davies need a good partner, not just in ability but playing style. Both players need to be aware of what the other is going to do, and I don't think Davies has that any more. Of the three potential partners, N'gog doesn't get in great positions, and the other two have barely played alongside Davies, so you can't expect them to know each other well.

He still offers something but he could do with a partner who he has a good connection with. If he can't get that, it's probably the end for him.