Biggest game of the season - Brighton @ Home

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Caribbean White
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Biggest game of the season - Brighton @ Home

Post by Caribbean White » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:37 pm

Going back to being sent off for fowl and abusive language, well done ref, but he would not have the balls tyo do that at say OT, every time I see United Rooney seemingly habitually abuses referees, yet nothing gets done.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:39 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Rugby league or union, Jaffka?

I ask out of genuine enquiry. I deplore abuse of the referee and admire rugby's restraint, but it has a slight whiff of class-based knowing-thy-place. The end (respect) might justify the historical means, if you see what I mean, but it's possible to make a case for football - the "game for gentlemen played by hooligans" - being something of a two-fingers to this country's class divisions and attempts to keep down the poor ('cos Rooney's a chav, right?)

It's possible to make a case, but I haven't really done it there... :D
I have played both codes but prefer Union.

I really dont know about the class war stuff though, the game is physical so fisticuffs and fights always will be part of it, however abusing the referee who has given his time up and the sanctions imposed both during the game and certainly after it just make it a total no no.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:42 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:This all too stressful for a person my age - it's not good. I don't know what CH means by "bricking it" but I think I probably am too. I enjoyed our 4-1 win but since then my stress level has been far too high.
The art of bricking it is when one's nerves make their acquaintance with the inside of the back of one's underpants.
Ah, I assumed something similar from the context. There is a very similar idiom in North America where to indicate extreme nervousness or fear, one is said to be "shitting bricks".
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:43 pm

Twenty points from a possible twenty-four makes sweet reading. Hardly looked possible but, we did it. The "biggest game of the season" is going to apply to all the remaining ones right now. We're on a charge. Defending a lead, and doing it that well, is good football. They had to score, we didn't. End justifying the means. Good stuff.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:44 pm

A very good 3 points against another team doing very well.

feck! do I dare say it???

It's quite possibly on!!!!!!!

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:45 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Luck? Jesus.

What we had today was character, will to win, and most crucially, the thing the Coyle apologists pretended didn't matter, organisation.

Everyone knew their roles and stuck to them.

Feck it, it was a great plan. Let Brighton play football but stop them 25 yards out from really hurting us. Play them higher up the pitch and they'd have picked their way through. They did that for the first 20 minutes.

Thank god we know have a manager who knows what he's doing.
I know I was originally a Coyle apologist but wholeheartedly agree with this post. Having been at the game today it's good to see a BWFC team with organisation once again
Pfffft.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:47 pm

jaffka wrote:A very good 3 points against another team doing very well.

feck! do I dare say it???

It's quite possibly on!!!!!!!
Careful jaffka, the St Paul's Cathedral workers will be on your case. :wink:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:52 pm

TKIZ! wrote:

What we had today was character, will to win, and most crucially, the thing the Coyle apologists pretended didn't matter, organisation.

Feck it, it was a great plan. Let Brighton play football but stop them 25 yards out from really hurting us. Play them higher up the pitch and they'd have picked their way through. They did that for the first 20 minutes.

I know I was originally a Coyle apologist but wholeheartedly agree with this post. Having been at the game today it's good to see a BWFC team with organisation once again
Agreed. With the exception of the Hull game, you could if you really wanted make a case for us just as easily losing the other games in this 8 match run. Gary Player's remark about luck & practice has been oft quoted on here and it suits this run and what Dougie is doing perfectly. 5% more luck than before, but about 70% more organisation. :D
Last edited by Harry Genshaw on Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:52 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:

There's some proper know nowt fcukers making out they know it all about

We defended very well today

Every ball into the box, I'm confident we'll deal with it

Makes me laugh, all this 'should've done this, should've done that, should've been more attacking'

Bullshit

But they can hide behind their half arsed 'theories' cos they'll never be put in a position where they'd be exposed as cockends

GTF
Both of these are pretty much the correct answer. There aren't many teams you're going to restrict to zero chances, so how you deal with them is what's important. We generally did this well today, other than the last 10 mins.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:54 pm

^
Run down of the players performances, Worthy?

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:56 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:

There's some proper know nowt fcukers making out they know it all about

We defended very well today

Every ball into the box, I'm confident we'll deal with it

Makes me laugh, all this 'should've done this, should've done that, should've been more attacking'

Bullshit

But they can hide behind their half arsed 'theories' cos they'll never be put in a position where they'd be exposed as cockends

GTF
Both of these are pretty much the correct answer. There aren't many teams you're going to restrict to zero chances, so how you deal with them is what's important. We generally did this well today, other than the last 10 mins.
Exactly, makes me wonder if some people look at the opposition or just think that they are like table football.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:56 pm

jaffka wrote:

I ask out of genuine enquiry. I deplore abuse of the referee and admire rugby's restraint, but it has a slight whiff of class-based knowing-thy-place. The end (respect) might justify the historical means, if you see what I mean, but it's possible to make a case for football - the "game for gentlemen played by hooligans" - being something of a two-fingers to this country's class divisions and attempts to keep down the poor ('cos Rooney's a chav, right?)

I really dont know about the class war stuff though, the game is physical so fisticuffs and fights always will be part of it, however abusing the referee who has given his time up and the sanctions imposed both during the game and certainly after it just make it a total no no.
OK, ta. Not saying rugby isn't physical ("a hooligan's game played by gentlemen"...). Might be a conversation for another day, but for the record I fully agree that harsh sanctions should be imposed – bans, preferably accompanied by wage-related fines going to charity. I do some coaching in kids' football and it's hard to convince them to respect referees when their idols don't.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:04 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
jaffka wrote:

OK, ta. Not saying rugby isn't physical ("a hooligan's game played by gentlemen"...). Might be a conversation for another day, but for the record I fully agree that harsh sanctions should be imposed – bans, preferably accompanied by wage-related fines going to charity. I do some coaching in kids' football and it's hard to convince them to respect referees when their idols don't.
I think we are discussing this in the wrong area, we have after all had a fantastic win.

However I think we do agree on the sanctions part.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:06 pm

Dartisan wrote:By the way, a lad on Twitter has suggested that Spearing heading into the Lion of Vienna Suite after the match & mentioned to somebody the reason their player was sent off was for kicking the ref...
See, I'm not happy with the explanation that it was for coming out with a gobfull. When the ref blew he immediately pointed to a spot on the ground about eight yards behind him. Something happened there which no-one saw. I'm convinced.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:15 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Dartisan wrote:By the way, a lad on Twitter has suggested that Spearing heading into the Lion of Vienna Suite after the match & mentioned to somebody the reason their player was sent off was for kicking the ref...
See, I'm not happy with the explanation that it was for coming out with a gobfull. When the ref blew he immediately pointed to a spot on the ground about eight yards behind him. Something happened there which no-one saw. I'm convinced.
I've heard it's because he tried to trip the ref.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:19 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:

Agreed. With the exception of the Hull game, you could if you really wanted make a case for us just as easily losing the other games in this 8 match run. Gary Player's remark about luck & practice has been oft quoted on here and it suits this run and what Dougie is doing perfectly. 5% more luck than before, but about 70% more organisation. :D
True that Mr. Genshaw, I think or hope that we're all Happy Wanderers tonight and now moving on till the next game. DF will also hopefully try and sign some short term loanees this week
Pfffft.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:20 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
BS3 wrote:
Athers wrote:Said after Peterborough
Where we lost, and conceded five goals. He should have gone then.
So you've just joined today to bad-mouth a manager who's taken us through eight games without defeat?
Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh :lol:
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:23 pm

We are soooooo fckg domed.

It's the hope which kills you & we've had none till now.

I predict carnage in due course.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:24 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:^
Run down of the players performances, Worthy?
Ok,

For me:

Lonergan: Did what he needed to do, couple of great saves first half. Need to learn to kick with his right peg, coz punting it up towards the right hand side of the field with your left tends to swing it towards the touchline. :-)

Alonso: Worked hard as Brighton played some good pass n move in attack, occasionally a little "last ditch" defensively. Good goal and good going forwards.

Knight: Couple of good cover tackles as "last man", won most of his headers and ball.

Dawson: Before the match, Dawson talked to every defender (and a couple of midfielders), probably to remind them what was required of them. Quietly effective today. Read the game pretty well

Ricketts: Another quietly effective game, probably didn't offer as much going forwards as I've previously seen, but defensively less exposed because of it.

Spearing: All over the pitch along with Pratley. Worked hard defensively, less of offensively

Pratley: Like Spearing, covered a lot of ground and generally did the right things, probably shaded Spearing for MOM for me.

CYL: Had some decent moments heading forwards and certainly more in the tank than Eagles when the sub was made. He's still not going in for some tackles that he should be doing

Eagles: Not a masterclass, but better than some recent performances from him. Deserved the applause he got when subbed

SKD and N'gog: I'll deal with at the same time. SKD didn't cover himself with glory against his perennial whipping boy Upson, rightly subbed although probably a bit too late in the game for me. I think it's probably his last season. N'gog, got into some decent positions and reverted to "couldn't his a cows arse". Could have been subbed at the same time as Davo, to be honest.

Subs:

Medo: Fairly quiet other than one occasion when he was fouled about three times by different players and still came out with the ball.

Wheats: Couldn't really tell how much impact he made, we certainly ended up deeper when he came on.

Cravies: Some nice touches, but didn't really get into the game that much, one decent chance on goal.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:27 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
BS3 wrote:
Athers wrote:Said after Peterborough
Where we lost, and conceded five goals. He should have gone then.
So you've just joined today to bad-mouth a manager who's taken us through eight games without defeat?
Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh :lol:
Why? His first three posts on different threads were all saying the same thing?