Biggest game of the season - Brighton @ Home

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Re: Biggest game of the season - Brighton @ Home

Post by jaffka » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:31 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
BS3 wrote:
Athers wrote:Said after Peterborough
Where we lost, and conceded five goals. He should have gone then.
So you've just joined today to bad-mouth a manager who's taken us through eight games without defeat?
Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh :lol:
Why? His first three posts on different threads were all saying the same thing?
I am with Tango here, I thought he was a cock.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:33 pm

Look up 'Parody'. FFS!
May the bridges I burn light your way

mrplow
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by mrplow » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:41 pm

Is there anywhere that shows detailed stats on the game. Would love to know how many tackles Spearing made, thought he was awesome today.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:42 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
jaffka wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Rugby league or union, Jaffka?

I ask out of genuine enquiry. I deplore abuse of the referee and admire rugby's restraint, but it has a slight whiff of class-based knowing-thy-place. The end (respect) might justify the historical means, if you see what I mean, but it's possible to make a case for football - the "game for gentlemen played by hooligans" - being something of a two-fingers to this country's class divisions and attempts to keep down the poor ('cos Rooney's a chav, right?)

It's possible to make a case, but I haven't really done it there... :D
I have played both codes but prefer Union.

I really dont know about the class war stuff though, the game is physical so fisticuffs and fights always will be part of it, however abusing the referee who has given his time up and the sanctions imposed both during the game and certainly after it just make it a total no no.
OK, ta. Not saying rugby isn't physical ("a hooligan's game played by gentlemen"...). Might be a conversation for another day, but for the record I fully agree that harsh sanctions should be imposed – bans, preferably accompanied by wage-related fines going to charity. I do some coaching in kids' football and it's hard to convince them to respect referees when their idols don't.
Don't think it's anything at all to do with "class war", I gob to the ref at RU, I get penalised 10 yards. A couple of them, and I put them in kicking range. I agree with Jaffka too that general respect for "playing the whistle" is an important part too.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:43 pm

mrplow wrote:Is there anywhere that shows detailed stats on the game. Would love to know how many tackles Spearing made, thought he was awesome today.
Not this year, but Opta are starting to cover the FL next year – the Championship to the full depth they cover PL/CL etc.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:45 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Don't think it's anything at all to do with "class war", I gob to the ref at RU, I get penalised 10 yards. A couple of them, and I put them in kicking range. I agree with Jaffka too that general respect for "playing the whistle" is an important part too.
Like I say, the punishment should be meted out, and the infringements will soon stop.

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Gail Platz » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:47 pm

Got to agree with Worthy on his player ratings. I thought Spearing was excellent, did the 'terrier' work needed in this division in order to protect the back four and get some tackles in. If the price is right he has to be our first signing in the summer.

Speaking of the back four, again so so much better since Dawson came in. I don't know if it's solely him but the whole back four seems to have got better since Dawson's arrival. The way that they are playing I'll be worried if we ever need to make a change, it makes me shiver thinking Mears is our back up. Let's just hope they stay fit.

I'll say it again, Kevin Davies is hopeless and needs to be dropped. Why does he continue getting starts? The only thing KD has done in the last four years is bully Matthew Upson and he came up against him today and did absolutely nothing. Has to go at the end of the season.

Final note, I didn't know Vicente was at Brighton. WHAT? He was a Spain international about five years ago, what a fall from grace!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:50 pm

Gail Platz wrote:Speaking of the back four, again so so much better since Dawson came in. I don't know if it's solely him but the whole back four seems to have got better since Dawson's arrival. The way that they are playing I'll be worried if we ever need to make a change, it makes me shiver thinking Mears is our back up. Let's just hope they stay fit.
I wouldn't panic, GP - he'd be stepping into a confident, organised unit. In fact, if he's improved as much as the others, he might give us more going forward than Ricketts.

Just a thought... but I will admit that when I saw who'd scored my third thought was "We'll miss him when he goes".

(My second thought was "Oh Jesus are we really gonna get this close?". My first, obviously, was "YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! :D )

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:51 pm

Gail Platz wrote: Final note, I didn't know Vicente was at Brighton. WHAT? He was a Spain international about five years ago, what a fall from grace!
Oh dear. Fernando Hierro?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:54 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gail Platz wrote: Final note, I didn't know Vicente was at Brighton. WHAT? He was a Spain international about five years ago, what a fall from grace!
Nando signed for a side who'd just finished top-eight in the top flight, Bruce. And would do so again for the following three seasons :D

EDIT Unless you're mocking Vicente's right to don the same national shirt as Hierro, in which case: Bat on, m'friend!
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Gail Platz » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:54 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fernando Hierro had a desire to play in England, we were actually good and he was 37 years old.

Vicente signed for a Championship club at the age of 29.

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:55 pm

I don't retract any prior comments about Pratley because they were generally backed up by performances. But it's great to see him showing what he's capable of with a bit of confidence and a decent manager. He's shown real character to come through what must have been the worst form of his career. Well done Darren, you've been instrumental in our revival.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:57 pm

50sQuiff wrote:I don't retract any prior comments about Pratley because they were generally backed up by performances. But it's great to see him showing what he's capable of with a bit of confidence and a decent manager. He's shown real character to come through what must have been the worst form of his career. Well done Darren, you've been instrumental in our revival.
What think you of Freedman, Q? Not a bear-trap: I value your considered opinion.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:00 pm

Gail Platz wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fernando Hierro had a desire to play in England, we were actually good and he was 37 years old.

And Ivan Campo?

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Gail Platz » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:09 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gail Platz wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

And Ivan Campo?
Bloody hell who are you going to say next, Marcos Alonso? Again, Campo moved to a PL club and earned a hell of a lot less caps for Spain.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:10 pm

Gail Platz wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gail Platz wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

And Ivan Campo?
Bloody hell who are you going to say next, Marcos Alonso? Again, Campo moved to a PL club and earned a hell of a lot less caps for Spain.
Marcos Alonso?

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Gail Platz » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:12 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote: Marcos Alonso?
:lmfao:

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:14 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
50sQuiff wrote:I don't retract any prior comments about Pratley because they were generally backed up by performances. But it's great to see him showing what he's capable of with a bit of confidence and a decent manager. He's shown real character to come through what must have been the worst form of his career. Well done Darren, you've been instrumental in our revival.
What think you of Freedman, Q? Not a bear-trap: I value your considered opinion.
Well, when we were struggling to convert performances into results and languishing near the foot of the table I wrote this:

viewtopic.php?p=800318#p800318" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm pleased to see the results follow as anticipated. I'm a big fan of Freedman. Sharp, pragmatic, confident yet humble. Whisper it, but he could be Big Sam-calibre.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:18 pm

You know what I liked most about Dougie today?

Brighton were well on top, they'd changed system and stuck Orlandi on the left to exploit the flank as we were really narrow. Freedman called Lennie and Curtis off the bench for a proper get together and we made 2 subs that won us the points.

You would never have seen Coyle doing that. Not in a million years. Even if he did, his assistants would've started dribbling and putting cones around each other whilst clapping.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:36 pm

Video to the red card is here

http://www.lionofviennasuite.com/2013/3 ... ip-the-ref" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;