Preview: Bristol City v Bolton

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lewis Hancock
Hopeful
Hopeful

Preview: Bristol City v Bolton

Post by Lewis Hancock » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:21 pm

Hello Trotters,

Bristol City fan here in peace!

I've got a uni project which means I have to write a preview and a match report of any game and luckily Bristol City have let me in the press box for Saturday's game against yourselves.

If you could give my preview of the game a read and perhaps some feedback that would be great!

Thanks,

Lewis

P.s good luck with your playoff push but if you could start it after saturday thatd be great!

http://lewishancocksport.wordpress.com/ ... wanderers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Preview: Bristol City v Bolton

Post by mrkint » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:23 pm

How much for the kitchen?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:26 pm

Afternoon Lewis, and thanks for the preview. Everybody here, players included, seem to be on the "one game at a time" path so nobody will be treating Saturday lightly. Our away form is decidedly less impressive than at home, but all things change somewhere. Luck with your own battle but we'll be looking to take the points off you.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:49 pm

It's Ok, but it is mostly a rehash of other news reports. It doesn't have much of an individual 'feel' to it. There is nothing really unique about it that you yourself have brought to the preview. That'd be my feedback.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:20 pm

In Lewis's defence, LLS, I don't think he's striving for a character-filled preview. It reads like a straight pre-game round-up, and he's done it rather well, including quotes and views from both sides. The test for such previews is whether they have the ring of truth, and nobody has yet pointed out an error or an unlikely claim (as opposed to, say, the Saturday Guardian's "expected team line-ups" when we were in the Premier League, which rarely rang true).

I'll be intrigued to read the match report, which will be more indicative of style. For now, this is a decent start. At least it's almost entirely spelt – although you mean "rooted" rather than "routed" to the bottom of the table; I suppose you could be routed to the bottom, but it's not what you meant.

That slip aside, it's a much stronger start than dozens of the applicants who email us for work experience without being able to spell "work experience"; there was a lad this week who asked if we do "apprentichips". Not to be harsh, but if you can't spell that, you're probably not going to carve out a career as a writer.

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:28 pm

Trufax. I remember when I started off with writing I was (and, with an air of arrogance around me) a bit miffed about the lack of responses I was getting. It was only when I actually looked through my CV and covering letters again in detail that I realised, in horror, how much was inconsistent or misspelt. As one chap at Haymarket told me: "If it's got a mistake in it, it goes in the bin."

Anyway, good stuff Lewis. Is hard to do anything other than lay out what's happened because, well, by definition, it's a preview - nothing has happened yet. It's not gonna knock yer socks off, but it doesn't need to - it's informative and to the point. Which is nice.

Lewis Hancock
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Lewis Hancock » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:54 pm

Thanks for the feedback, I was unsure with the routed/rooted situation but unfortunately choose the incorrect spelling (has been corrected, thank you!).

The reason for taking quotes from other sources is to give more life to the preview rather than "David Ngog could start but then again it might be Kevin Davies" which is more of a noted read. Plus the uni has asked us to do this.

Also, I can't attend either press conference regarding the game so I have to use these other sources otherwise I wouldn't be able to write anything at all.

I'm only 20 and just starting out so I know I'm not the finished article (excuse the pun) but I take any constructive criticism on board.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:59 pm

Lewis Hancock wrote:Thanks for the feedback, I was unsure with the routed/rooted situation but unfortunately choose the incorrect spelling (has been corrected, thank you!).

The reason for taking quotes from other sources is to give more life to the preview rather than "David Ngog could start but then again it might be Kevin Davies" which is more of a noted read. Plus the uni has asked us to do this.

Also, I can't attend either press conference regarding the game so I have to use these other sources otherwise I wouldn't be able to write anything at all.

I'm only 20 and just starting out so I know I'm not the finished article (excuse the pun) but I take any constructive criticism on board.
Re-reading my feedback, I've come across as harsher than I meant to be. I didn't include any positive feedback, just negative. Rest assured it is Ok - that (coming from me) is positively positive.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:03 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Lewis Hancock wrote:Thanks for the feedback, I was unsure with the routed/rooted situation but unfortunately choose the incorrect spelling (has been corrected, thank you!).

Re-reading my feedback, I've come across as harsher than I meant to be. I didn't include any positive feedback, just negative. Rest assured it is Ok - that (coming from me) is positively positive.
LLS is a grumpy old fart. That is about the best you can hope for from him :mrgreen:

Lewis Hancock
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Lewis Hancock » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:05 pm

Ha, don't worry most on our forum would turn their noses up and not even bother with any form of feedback. If that's the grumpiest you've got be glad you're not a City fan!

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:08 pm

Lewis Hancock wrote:Ha, don't worry most on our forum would turn their noses up and not even bother with any form of feedback. If that's the grumpiest you've got be glad you're not a City fan!
Oh, we've far worse. We have a high proportion of argumentative old gits on here :mrgreen:

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:14 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Lewis Hancock wrote:Ha, don't worry most on our forum would turn their noses up and not even bother with any form of feedback. If that's the grumpiest you've got be glad you're not a City fan!
Oh, we've far worse. We have a high proportion of argumentative old gits on here :mrgreen:
Indeed we have. I'm radiantly sunny in comparison to some.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:07 pm

Thanks Lewis. Nice and succinct. Cheers.
May the bridges I burn light your way

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:12 pm

[quote="(( I suppose you could be routed to the bottom, but it's not what you meant.))

This sounds incredibly Painful!!!!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:29 pm

Lewis Hancock wrote:I'm only 20 and just starting out so I know I'm not the finished article (excuse the pun) but I take any constructive criticism on board.
Do you want to be a writer/journalist, or is it a wider degree?

Lewis Hancock
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Lewis Hancock » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:01 pm

Thank you everyone.

Dave Sutton's Barnet, my degree is quite wide and covers radio, broadcasting as well as newspaper/website writing. I'm not sure what I'd like to do with it yet, possibly work for a football/rugby club in their media department; I have two years left of my degree yet.

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:16 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:there was a lad this week who asked if we do "apprentichips". Not to be harsh, but if you can't spell that, you're probably not going to carve out a career as a writer.
Does sound quite tasty though.

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:18 pm

mrkint wrote:How much for the kitchen?
:lol:

I hope I'm not 'clique' for getting that one.
Troll and proud of it.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:40 pm

as wrote:

:clique:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:25 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
as wrote:

:clique:
Ok I feel left out.

:conf: :hang: