Would you rather......

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

wanderer10
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Would you rather......

Post by wanderer10 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:13 pm

I'd rather just not go. When we lost to Watford I cried all the way home, I was 10 at the time but I dont think age had anything to do with it, its the worst game to loose.

On another optamistic note, Imagine if we did go and win it? And Wigan went down? My body wouldnt know how to handle it! :pissed: :lol:
"In 1874 boys of Christchurch Sunday School along with their master Thomas Ogden established a football club which went under the name of the school. The club broke away in 1877 and became Bolton Wanderers Football Club"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:21 pm

wanderer10 wrote:I'd rather just not go. When we lost to Watford I cried all the way home, I was 10 at the time but I dont think age had anything to do with it, its the worst game to loose.

On another optamistic note, Imagine if we did go and win it? And Wigan went down? My body wouldnt know how to handle it! :pissed: :lol:
If we go up, I'd rather play Wigan next season. Otherwise, the only local games we'd have would set you back £50 apiece.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:30 pm

wanderer10 wrote:I'd rather just not go. When we lost to Watford I cried all the way home, I was 10 at the time
Me too, Chief, only I was 32 :oops:
May the bridges I burn light your way

YtarmyYtarmy
Promising
Promising

Post by YtarmyYtarmy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:40 pm

Id rather go to Wembley and have a great day out, I love the whole thing about the play-offs, some we've won and some we've lost, but I think the whole experiance is great. NOt too arsed about all this having extra time to buy players nonsense, we normally have a couple already lined up and fire a couple in near the end of the transfer dealine.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:45 pm

YtarmyYtarmy wrote:Id rather go to Wembley and have a great day out
See, we differ there, Fella. For me the last thing the play-off final is about is a day out. Liverpool, Middlesbrough and, to a degree, Stoke were all days out. They could play the play off finals on Barlow Park for me, they're only about the result.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:49 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
See, we differ there, Fella. For me the last thing the play-off final is about is a day out. Liverpool, Middlesbrough and, to a degree, Stoke were all days out. They could play the play off finals on Barlow Park for me, they're only about the result.
Yeah, thats where I am too. There is too much riding on it for it to be a day out.

Stoke was shite. It was horrible. But not as bad as the feeling of a whole season up in smoke after losing to say Watford.

Play off finals are the ultimate all or nothing games. It defines not only the season just gone, but the next one too.

Horrible, horrible day if you lose IMO.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:51 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
indeed - going to a football stadium in cardiff and pub before/after is hardly a day out!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:21 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Yeah, thats where I am too. There is too much riding on it for it to be a day out. Stoke was shite. It was horrible. But not as bad as the feeling of a whole season up in smoke after losing to say Watford. Play off finals are the ultimate all or nothing games. It defines not only the season just gone, but the next one too. Horrible, horrible day if you lose IMO.
I'm with Bruce & BWFCi. No fun for the play-off losers. And for that reason I'd rather us bow out in the semis, which smacks of improvement and hope, than the built-up-for-destruction Wembley loss.

Perhaps it's selective memory but it seems to me that reaching the play-off semi-finals often has a galvanising effect on a group (manager and players) whereas losing in the final can often have a negative effect - "we're not good enough to go up" rather than "we're good enough to be in the shake-up". We lost a semi to Notts County in 1990, kicked on to the final in 1991 but lost to Trampmere and Phil Neal floundered thereafter. Losing the 1999 final to Watford was a kick in the stomach for Todd (and Hargreaves), and only Allardyce turned the club round to reach the following year's play-off semis - where being beaten by Barry Knight might have inspired us to go up the next season (which we started by winning 19 points of the first 21 available).

I wonder if there's a thesis in this.

Jez
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jez » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:25 pm

Wembley, any day. With the way we started this season followed by the effort put in by all involved to take us to this stage, I'd be immensely proud to see the team walk out onto the wembley pitch even if the result was poor. It wouldn't be a stoke style hammering either with the kind of team we are now.

Anyone know what our biggest loss is under freedman btw?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:29 pm

Jez wrote:Wembley, any day. With the way we started this season followed by the effort put in by all involved to take us to this stage, I'd be immensely proud to see the team walk out onto the wembley pitch even if the result was poor. It wouldn't be a stoke style hammering either with the kind of team we are now.

Anyone know what our biggest loss is under freedman btw?
£1 to Enoch, when Freedman refused to pick Odelusi for the starting line-up. :cry:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:30 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Yeah, thats where I am too. There is too much riding on it for it to be a day out. Stoke was shite. It was horrible. But not as bad as the feeling of a whole season up in smoke after losing to say Watford. Play off finals are the ultimate all or nothing games. It defines not only the season just gone, but the next one too. Horrible, horrible day if you lose IMO.
I'm with Bruce & BWFCi. No fun for the play-off losers. And for that reason I'd rather us bow out in the semis, which smacks of improvement and hope, than the built-up-for-destruction Wembley loss.

Perhaps it's selective memory but it seems to me that reaching the play-off semi-finals often has a galvanising effect on a group (manager and players) whereas losing in the final can often have a negative effect - "we're not good enough to go up" rather than "we're good enough to be in the shake-up". We lost a semi to Notts County in 1990, kicked on to the final in 1991 but lost to Trampmere and Phil Neal floundered thereafter. Losing the 1999 final to Watford was a kick in the stomach for Todd (and Hargreaves), and only Allardyce turned the club round to reach the following year's play-off semis - where being beaten by Barry Knight might have inspired us to go up the next season (which we started by winning 19 points of the first 21 available).

I wonder if there's a thesis in this.
I suspect losing in a play-off final can be similar to relegation in terms of the hangover it can leave for the following season.

Whereas you're right in that finishing 7th or losing a semi-final can leave you determined to go a step or two further the next season.

BWFC90
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by BWFC90 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:33 pm

Under Freedman we've only ever lost by a goal, biggest scoreline was a 5-4 loss if that helps

Jez
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jez » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:27 pm

BWFC90 wrote:Under Freedman we've only ever lost by a goal, biggest scoreline was a 5-4 loss if that helps
Cheers, that has to say something right?

If we did lose at Wembley I bet we'd all stand up and applaud

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:00 pm

Jez wrote:
BWFC90 wrote:Under Freedman we've only ever lost by a goal, biggest scoreline was a 5-4 loss if that helps
Cheers, that has to say something right?

If we did lose at Wembley I bet we'd all stand up and applaud
Not all.. There'll be a few "I told you so" nobs there

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:11 pm

Cardiff have been in the last 3 play-offs and have finally earned a straight promotion.Give me the play-offs every time.I,d rather have been there and lost,than not be there at all.

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:20 pm

For F**KS Sake!!! Talk about a pessimistic, miserablist crock of shit or what? I think we should be thinking, would you rather beat Brighton 4-0 or Watford 5-0 in the final at Wembley? Always fvcking doom merchant's on here these days, even when we've turned around what set out as one of our worst seasons of being a Wanderer, people still have to have a negative outlook..............................

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:28 pm

Il Pirate wrote:For F**KS Sake!!! Talk about a pessimistic, miserablist crock of shit or what? I think we should be thinking, would you rather beat Brighton 4-0 or Watford 5-0 in the final at Wembley? Always fvcking doom merchant's on here these days, even when we've turned around what set out as one of our worst seasons of being a Wanderer, people still have to have a negative outlook..............................
Its OK for you .... you're on beta-blockers.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:42 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Fail to make the play-offs or get to Wembley and lose narrowly?

Was asked this the other day, couldn't make my mind up.

Clearly the answer is go and win the fecking thing. But if that WAS the choice, what would it be?
The first because believe it or not going to Wembley costs quite a lot for a teenager. Lets put it another way I may not have enough money to go to a semi final and a final.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:27 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Fail to make the play-offs or get to Wembley and lose narrowly?

Clearly the answer is go and win the fecking thing. But if that WAS the choice, what would it be?
The first because believe it or not going to Wembley costs quite a lot for a teenager. Lets put it another way I may not have enough money to go to a semi final and a final.
How about you just cut back a little on your globe trotting, you could buy us all tickets then :wink:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:39 pm

jaffka wrote:
bwfcdan94 wrote:

How about you just cut back a little on your globe trotting, you could buy us all tickets then :wink:
He's currently pricing up a Train from Tanzania to Wembley