Sordell on the bench

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Re: Sordell on the bench

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Mon May 06, 2013 7:58 am

Cid's Left Foot wrote:I think it's incredibly cruel to call C. Davies a waste of a shirt. From where I was watching, he was tireless, last game at least. He scored too.

Eaves came on for him and matched him in the sense that they're both man-mountains, but he certainly could not match his mobility. Having someone that size, and with that will to keep running is surely going to cause any defenders nightmares.

To be honest, saw far less from Sordell. But he's a goalscorer so people say. Who knows. I probably don't.
Sordell. Sordell has been a waste of a shirt.......

Cid's Left Foot
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Cid's Left Foot » Mon May 06, 2013 9:19 am

Ah my mistake. Had a few beers when I wrote that reply and misread. :oops:

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Mon May 06, 2013 11:38 am

Cid's Left Foot wrote:I think it's incredibly cruel to call C. Davies a waste of a shirt. From where I was watching, he was tireless, last game at least. He scored too.

Eaves came on for him and matched him in the sense that they're both man-mountains, but he certainly could not match his mobility. Having someone that size, and with that will to keep running is surely going to cause any defenders nightmares.

To be honest, saw far less from Sordell. But he's a goalscorer so people say. Who knows. I probably don't.

Shocking to think at 300k C Davies is a waste of a shirt

I think next season in a 2 (ngog CD) he will bang in a fair amount of goals IMO
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Mon May 06, 2013 2:20 pm

Funny how Sordell received no credit at all when he created a goal from nothing recently by chasing down a lost cause, outfighting his opponent and then finding a white shirt. If that was Craig Davies people would be saying he deserves a 10-game run. If it were Kevin Davies? Saint Kev hasn't won a lost cause like that in seasons.

Despite little game-time and even fewer starts, Sordell's goal-scoring record is as good as any of our (mostly) useless strikers. He just happens to be the youngest, with the most potential and a track-record in this league to boot.

But he's got that languid, casual air about his movement that is like a red flag to thick-as Bolton fans. Many who wanted to "start the car" for Mark Davies and Lee this season, proving what awful judges of a player they truly are.

Shit player that Kevin Nolan isn't he? "Fat, lazy and useless", you might say. Get rid!

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon May 06, 2013 7:03 pm

50sQuiff wrote:Funny how Sordell received no credit at all when he created a goal from nothing recently by chasing down a lost cause, outfighting his opponent and then finding a white shirt. If that was Craig Davies people would be saying he deserves a 10-game run. If it were Kevin Davies? Saint Kev hasn't won a lost cause like that in seasons.

Despite little game-time and even fewer starts, Sordell's goal-scoring record is as good as any of our (mostly) useless strikers. He just happens to be the youngest, with the most potential and a track-record in this league to boot.

But he's got that languid, casual air about his movement that is like a red flag to thick-as Bolton fans. Many who wanted to "start the car" for Mark Davies and Lee this season, proving what awful judges of a player they truly are.

Shit player that Kevin Nolan isn't he? "Fat, lazy and useless", you might say. Get rid!
Are you trying to say Sordell is the best striker we have?

Talent isn't enough. With Sordell we don't know what we're going to get from one game to another. There's no doubt there's talent there but we've had issues with talented players who aren't fully commited before (Martin Petrov and Michael Ricketts are two prime examples). There's only so long we are likely to put up with it before they're moved on. It would be nice to see Sordell come good but there's way to many off the field distractions and issues there.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 06, 2013 7:10 pm

For me I think Sordell has tried hard, he has that slightly languid running style that makes people think he's lazy.

But my opinion is he just isn't very good.

Look at his first touch, awful. Hesitant and slow on the ball too.

I'm really not sure what type of striker he is. Doesn't seem to make intelligent runs off the ball either.

Hopefully Dougie can improve him cos as it stands I don't think he's worth £500K. Big challenge will be to improve Sordell's game, or indeed, discover what it is.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon May 06, 2013 8:25 pm

Cant say I've noticed this supposed languid style of running. To me he does seem to do a lot of running off the ball, but when he gets it his control tends to let him down. I wonder if he's just a fox in the box type striker who feeds off half chances in the area :conf:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon May 06, 2013 8:49 pm

I don't really get the Sordell criticism, I think it's because we spent the Cahill money on him and thought we were getting a future internation star who'd score the goals to keep us in the prem. He's looked raw whenever I've seen him, and his touch isn't great. That his movement is poor is bollocks though. He isn't an Anelka style slip-him-through-the-middle striker, but he's the only one who attacks the front post, and the only one who ever looks like scoring from open play. He's goal record is ok (though tbf skewed by a few penalties). I think he's worth sticking with. I think Davies is the key for next year, the sort of battering ram you need to get behind teams, close defenders down, run channels, even though I don't think he'll score many. N'Gog is probably first choice to partner him. People say we need a striker (and I've been one of them) but thinking about it, whilst I'd like one, I think the big problems are at the other end. We haven't neccesarily been prolific this season, but we've tended to pick up points and wins when conceding fewer than 2 per game!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue May 07, 2013 12:25 am

50sQuiff wrote:Funny how Sordell received no credit at all when he created a goal from nothing recently by chasing down a lost cause, outfighting his opponent and then finding a white shirt. If that was Craig Davies people would be saying he deserves a 10-game run. If it were Kevin Davies? Saint Kev hasn't won a lost cause like that in seasons.

You know what, that was great. But 9 times out of 10 he would not have made that effort, and that is what frustrates me. davies does these things constantly. Sordell has more finesse, but so what? Things don't go his way, his head goes down, his shoulders slump and I get the distinct impression he doesn't really want to be at Bolton. Dougie talks about signing players with a 'certain DNA', by which he means a winning mentality. I bet he wouldn't have touched Sordell with a barge pole, but now he's stuck with him and I think he has managed him as well as he could have.
His signing was an act of desperation by a clueless manager trying to perpetuate the ridiculous myth that he was all about bringing through young players. £3.2 mill? Appalling waste of money.
Now I've supported Sordell and wanted him to get a run to see what he's made of. I think he's an intelligent young player and his movement can be clever but it is too sporadic. His goal against Everton was an excellent example of a sharp run and predatory finishing, but to blame his poor season on a lack of service is just making excuses. Yes we have issues with our forward line but he has to shoulder some responsibility for that. He's very experienced for his age and simply should have done better.
Time to cut our losses and move on.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Tue May 07, 2013 12:41 am

hmmm....

alonso's bin shite, too... for longer than mr. goldfishface .. but folk want him to sign up again.

i think getting good defenders in is more of a priority.

think marvin's head went a bit when coylethedick never ever played him.

it were almost muamba-esque.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue May 07, 2013 12:51 am

a1 wrote:hmmm....

alonso's bin shite, too... for longer than mr. goldfishface .. but folk want him to sign up again.

i think getting good defenders in is more of a priority.

think marvin's head went a bit when coylethedick never ever played him.

it were almost muamba-esque.
Definitely something in this. If he had a pair he'd have got over it by now though.
As for Alonso, Dougie summed it up perfectly when he basically said he'd make him an offer but wasn't going to push the boat out.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue May 07, 2013 8:22 am

50sQuiff wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:Whether it's true or not he'd be the first I'd be trying to get rid of. Soft, lazy and shite. Ridiculously crap panic buy by Coyle and an enormous waste of money. Useless again yesterday.
Erudite as always, LE. I don't think that's the opinion Watford fans had of him.

I just checked Twitter and I didn't see any boasting or comments about 15-hours sleep:

Really looking forward to @Hopeforjustice's dinner at the House of Commons this evening #ZoeChallenge
@MissMimiChapman and I are honoured to be able to sit in the very same room that William Wilberforce abolished slavery in!! #historic
Dinner at the House of Commons for Human Trafficking #hopeforjustice with @marvinsordell
Thank you @adidasUK Oxford St for making my store visit yesterday as pleasant as always. Will see you guys again soon!

Oh, what a bad boy.
Obviously that stuff doesn't mark him out as a 'bad boy', but if that was during last week I would question what he was doing at those events in London during the week leading up to an enormously significant home game.

Anyway, my problem with Sordell isn't that he is lazy or languid, or whatever, but simply that he is slow. A couple of times on Saturday, I wish he'd nudged the ball out and driven at them, but I think the truth is that despite his young age and athletic appearance, he just doesn't have the gas.

Hopefully he will develop for us as a poacher. I agree that we shouldn't be writing him off, whatever way you look at it.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 14, 2013 2:06 pm

Marvellous Marvin has been named in England's squad for the U21 Euros, June 5-18. (As has Craig Dawson: be nice, Marv.)

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Tue May 14, 2013 2:57 pm

Well done Marvin.

Obviously there is potential there and we should not be getting shut of him.

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Relentless09 » Tue May 14, 2013 5:34 pm

Coaches obviously see something in training that we don't.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Tue May 14, 2013 11:45 pm

Relentless09 wrote:Coaches obviously see something in training that we don't.
he's like the bizarro-alonso of the team.

:/