Bolton Wanderers fans could travel more than 6,000 miles

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: Bolton Wanderers fans could travel more than 6,000 miles

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:11 pm

Tals-biggest-fan wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tals-biggest-fan wrote:Will be spending next year (well 3 years) living in London for Uni so I'll try and get to a few of these away games this season!
During my three years at uni we got two promotions, a major cup final and several higher-division cup scalps... happy years... especially as I kept my season ticket!

NB: That's probably financially irresponsible these days. The value of student loans can go up but rarely down. Etc.
Surely it must be a good omen when a Wanderer goes to [/s]Uni :P

One of perks of being Welsh is that the Welsh Government British taxpayers are paying £5500 towards the £9000 tuition fee which certainly helps and then I've got £5000 student grant with £5000 accommodation loan, crazy money being thrown all over the place... hopefully I can get a part time job to pay for the tickets.
:wink:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:06 pm

Tals-biggest-fan wrote:
Tals-biggest-fan wrote:Will be spending next year (well 3 years) living in London for Uni so I'll try and get to a few of these away games this season!
During my three years at uni we got two promotions, a major cup final and several higher-division cup scalps... happy years... especially as I kept my season ticket!

NB: That's probably financially irresponsible these days. The value of student loans can go up but rarely down. Etc.

One of perks of being Welsh is that the Welsh Government British taxpayers are paying £5500 towards the £9000 tuition fee which certainly helps and then I've got £5000 student grant with £5000 accommodation loan, crazy money being thrown all over the place... hopefully I can get a part time job to pay for the tickets.
That's all well & good, but it barely makes up for being Welsh Tal's fan. You know this in your heart.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Tals-biggest-fan
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Tals-biggest-fan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:27 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Tals-biggest-fan wrote:

That's all well & good, but it barely makes up for being Welsh Tal's fan. You know this in your heart.
We're good people us wel... nah i can't even lie about it on the internet and pretend to mean it... I'm surrounded by sheep, farms and horrible accents ( i don't have the accent)
NEIL LENNON'S SUPERWHITE ARMY

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:08 am

Tals-biggest-fan wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Tals-biggest-fan wrote:

We're good people us wel... nah i can't even lie about it on the internet and pretend to mean it... I'm surrounded by sheep, farms and horrible accents ( i don't have the accent)
If you don't have the Welsh accent, does that mean you have that horrible hybrid scouse/manc/north welsh accent? I lived in North Wales for a few years and had to listen to it daily :(

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:46 am

There are two classic, caricature, Welsh accents .... the Valley's 'Windsor Davies' one and the Welsh-Welsh of the North-West where English is clearly a second language .... they sound like they are crying when they speak.

The ludicrous Swansea accent, as advertised in Gavin & Stacey is becoming better known.

Within that there are many variations. The proper Wrexham accent has to be heard to be believed .... it can cut holes in glass. Cardiff has a similar tone to a Scouse accent, oddly .... maybe it's the port that did that.

The north coast from Queensferry to Conway has the Scouse/Manc hybrid referred to due to so many living there and also working or shopping in Cheshire, Wirral, Merseyside and Manchester. You should see the direction the TV aerials point all along that area .... & recent uproar as the Welsh Language fascists impose themselves into damn near everything. The recent TV retuning for digital and new transmitters specifically set to overpower Winter Hill has had significant backlash. This has meant round here that Wirral, parts of Chester and up to Frodsham, Shrewsbury and even Southport have been swamped by these. Border lands from Chester to Chepstow are being swamped. There is a manual fix but in some cases this is inadequate. Imagine your evening news prattling on about Pontypridd and Llanelli every night when you live 40 min from Manchester.
Last edited by bobo the clown on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:47 am

I just recall not even being able to get Channel 4, let alone Granada. 3 channels all biased towards Welshness. Telly was depressing then :(

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:43 am

nearest one of them to me is Yeovil (90mins on the bike) - the rest are all fecking miles away!

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:46 am

thebish wrote:nearest one of them to me is Yeovil (90mins on the bike) - the rest are all fecking miles away!

Decent kayak and a fair wind...piece of p*ss.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:26 pm

mrkint wrote:
thebish wrote:nearest one of them to me is Yeovil (90mins on the bike) - the rest are all fecking miles away!

A sea kayak perhaps but if it's one of those Canadian hybrid things...
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:28 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
mrkint wrote:

I could do a small section of the South Western Canal in my canal-kayak and maybe a bit of the Bridgewater & Taunton canal - but the rest would be portage...

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:33 pm

thebish wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
mrkint wrote:

I could do a small section of the South Western Canal in my canal-kayak and maybe a bit of the Bridgewater & Taunton canal - but the rest would be portage...
Best get your arse on a train up to a London game then if the kayaking will prove too tricky.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:36 pm

Gooner Girl wrote: Best get your arse on a train up to a London game then if the kayaking will prove too tricky.
i will probably do that - but it is still fecking miles away!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:42 pm

thebish wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote: Best get your arse on a train up to a London game then if the kayaking will prove too tricky.
We live in a space-time continuum. It might be feckin miles, but it's not that long. It takes me about an hour to reach the nearest centre of civilisation - I could be halfway across the Atlantic in that time. :wink:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:46 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
thebish wrote:
We live in a space-time continuum. It might be feckin miles, but it's not that long. It takes me about an hour to reach the nearest centre of civilisation - I could be halfway across the Atlantic in that time. :wink:
not in/on a kayak, you couldn't... unless you were strapped to it in the cargo-hold of a *plane...

(to avoid confusion - "airplane" for any canadians reading, properly called "aeroplane" in the UK)

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:53 pm

bobo the clown wrote:There are two classic, caricature, Welsh accents .... the Valley's 'Windsor Davies' one and the Welsh-Welsh of the North-West where English is clearly a second language .... they sound like they are crying when they speak.
I like the welsh accent on a bloke... :oops:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:17 pm

bobo the clown wrote:There are two classic, caricature, Welsh accents .... the Valley's 'Windsor Davies' one and the Welsh-Welsh of the North-West where English is clearly a second language .... they sound like they are crying when they speak.

The ludicrous Swansea accent, as advertised in Gavin & Stacey is becoming better known.

Within that there are many variations. The proper Wrexham accent has to be heard to be believed .... it can cut holes in glass. Cardiff has a similar tone to a Scouse accent, oddly .... maybe it's the port that did that.

The north coast from Queensferry to Conway has the Scouse/Manc hybrid referred to due to so many living there and also working or shopping in Cheshire, Wirral, Merseyside and Manchester. You should see the direction the TV aerials point all along that area .... & recent uproar as the Welsh Language fascists impose themselves into damn near everything. The recent TV retuning for digital and new transmitters specifically set to overpower Winter Hill has had significant backlash. This has meant round here that Wirral, parts of Chester and up to Frodsham, Shrewsbury and even Southport have been swamped by these. Border lands from Chester to Chepstow are being swamped. There is a manual fix but in some cases this is inadequate. Imagine your evening news prattling on about Pontypridd and Llanelli every night when you live 40 min from Manchester.
i much prefer the south-wales accent to the north wales - everything-is-stuck-in-my-throat accent...

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:28 pm

thebish wrote:

i much prefer the south-wales accent to the north wales - everything-is-stuck-in-my-throat accent...

South Wales is fine. Quite sing-song and soft. North Wales, particularly the Lleyn Peninsula and the Plaid Cwmru heartland, can feck off. :evil: