SKD off to Canada...

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: SKD off to Canada...

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:56 pm

yeah but yeah but you're forgetting that there's no space for shades of grey in internetargumentland.

It's what Clive James once called "the rage for simplicity, the total view that wants to achieve a false peace by silencing everyone who might contradict us."

Mitch
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Mitch » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:20 pm

It's in the LEP [url http://www.lep.co.uk/sport/davies-signs ... -1-5839216" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;][/url] that he's signed a 2 year deal. Mmmm.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:35 pm

Mitch wrote:It's in the LEP [url http://www.lep.co.uk/sport/davies-signs ... -1-5839216" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;][/url] that he's signed a 2 year deal. Mmmm.
With a pen ... HE had the fckg pens !!!

Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:02 pm

2 years at 36 is a great deal for him. I think he'll be good for them too.

All the best Kev
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

the-Bowtun-Warrior
Reliable
Reliable

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:41 pm

Good luck to him.
Hope Emma hates Preston though.

Lost some timber there too, has Kev

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:48 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Mitch wrote:It's in the LEP [url http://www.lep.co.uk/sport/davies-signs ... -1-5839216" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;][/url] that he's signed a 2 year deal. Mmmm.

Bet he did a midnight revenge raid on the Reebok offices like Di Canio at Swindon, lobbed them all in his boot. 'Ha! Try signing someone to replace me now Dougie!'

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:50 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:2 years at 36 is a great deal for him. I think he'll be good for them too.

All the best Kev
Bit of a coup for a Div 3 team. If they play to his strengths he could do well. Problem here was that as well as being in decline, the style of football under Dougie didn't suit him at all, which made him look worse than he probably was at times. All the best to him. I like Grayson as well, hope he does well there.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:45 pm

Best of luck Kev. I have every confidence he'll do well and Preston's near enough not to have to move house.

Here's to you mate. Big, big thanks....:oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:12 pm

He'll always be a club legend and I hope when this saga stops being relevant, our fans show him the respect he deserves.

:lmfao:

Keep saying it doesn't make it true.

You're in a minority here even at a Pru/Tango/JCL only party
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:31 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:It's quite sad to see how quickly fans turn on players. Whenever a player wants to leave a club, like Benteke at Villa, you always hear fans moaning about a lack of loyalty in football, but the fans themselves have no loyalty towards the players either. One bad season and the fans have it in for you, despite years of good service including as captain during a successful period of the clubs history. It's not even like Davies is a prick either. Yeah, he might have annoyed people with some comments but he was disappointed and frustrated, and I don't think anything he said was that bad either.

I just think it's a shame how quickly some fans turn on players. Assuming we get promoted and a big club comes in for Medo and he puts in a transfer request, I'll have a smile when the same people bitching about Davies now, are moaning that Medo has no loyalty.

Davies had a bad season last year but aside from that, he's been a great player for us and a great ambassador for the club. He'll always be a club legend and I hope when this saga stops being relevant, our fans show him the respect he deserves.
This.

The fickleness of fans always bemuses me. Not sure what his crime was in last couple of seasons. Sure he wasn't the player he was - but Coyle/Dougie obviously saw something in training that made them pick him- they weren't forced. What was starnge was that one moment he was undroppable and the next not even on the bench
Can't help thinking theres more to the sour ending than has been said and god knows there has been enough strange departures from our club to spot a pattern - clubs will always bend the story to suit their PR.

Anyway all in the past. Thanks for the great memories Kev and good luck.

Turkish Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Turkish Trotter » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:45 pm

bobo the clown wrote:

:lol:
Born to be a Wanderer!!
Some say Wisdom comes with age, I may be the exception !!

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:56 pm

Feckin clueless - I mean really feckin clueless.

Dear God - the "fickleness of fans" - he was rubbish for years and we still paid him.

We should be up in arms about the nice people who let that mediocrity continue at the club.

Not some millionaire soft as shite has been who couldn't find the net if it was tattooed on his wife's big fat arse.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:10 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:Feckin clueless - I mean really feckin clueless.

Dear God - the "fickleness of fans" - he was rubbish for years and we still paid him.

We should be up in arms about the tw*ts who let that mediocrity continue at the club.

Not some millionaire soft as shite has been who couldn't find the net if it was tattooed on his wife's big fat arse.
Its a good job you are here to educate me. Just out of curiosity, how many years was he rubbish ?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:13 pm

He wasn't rubbish for years. His last two seasons were two too many.

His legs looked shot, he looked less than interested and seemingly happily took his salary whilst not really contributing much.

Now Dougie seemed to be weaning him out slowly before the contract showdown. It had been general knowledge for a long time that he wasn't getting a new deal. His wife tweeted as much in January. So they fecking knew, the fans knew and so did the other players.

End of the day he's gone down a division. Hardly suggests he was a player who offered a whole lot to a team that is meant to be chasing promotion in the division above.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:13 pm

We should be up in arms about the tw*ts who let that mediocrity continue at the club.

C'mon Willy admit it -The reason for all this bitterness - He stole Emma off you, didn't he?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:14 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:

C'mon Willy admit it -The reason for all this bitterness - He stole Emma off you, didn't he?
Someone could only be immensely grateful for that surely?

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:16 pm

I always thought KD was slightly better than average but the number of times he has stood tall when others around him crumbled when we really needed it were countless, Stoke away he was unbeatable in the air by Wilkinson, Huth and Shawcross.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:25 pm

Finally, words that sum up my thoughts in a nut shell.

Not sure which bits to put in bold, since all of them deserve it.
Hope is what keeps us going.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:35 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:He wasn't rubbish for years. His last two seasons were two too many.

His legs looked shot, he looked less than interested and seemingly happily took his salary whilst not really contributing much.

Now Dougie seemed to be weaning him out slowly before the contract showdown. It had been general knowledge for a long time that he wasn't getting a new deal. His wife tweeted as much in January. So they fecking knew, the fans knew and so did the other players.

End of the day he's gone down a division. Hardly suggests he was a player who offered a whole lot to a team that is meant to be chasing promotion in the division above.
Before I'm put into the SKD love in pigeon hole, I'll say now that I'm a shades of grey view rather than black and white. I'd agree he was here probably 2 years too long to perform the 1 man up front, pump it up to him role effectively, and many a time I despaired of the tactic his prescence on the pitch induced in his team mates.
Not convinced about the not being bothered bit. Not convinced about he definitely knew no contract bit, but you'd have thought he would have suspected it wasn't going to happen, rather than it being a total surprise. As he said in the article it was the timing and club statement that was the issue. As I said earlier the club have form in their poor treatment of players at release - campo, JJ etc

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:45 pm

Preston fans seem very excited by it, so he should get plenty of support rather than them getting on his back if he has a couple of early rusty performances like Burnley fans would have. He doesn't need the money, either club would have been a step down, at least now he has a chance to be appreciated and make a difference.