Where are they now - Gareth Farrelly

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Where are they now - Gareth Farrelly

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:27 pm

Mr Rennie officiated quite a few of ours in the Premier League, including the 1-0 win over West Ham in 02/03, and I'm fairly certain he presided over a couple of our surprise results vs Arsenal. He definitely was still in the Premier League after we got promoted, and for a good 3 or 4 years as well.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:08 pm

truewhite15 wrote:Mr Rennie officiated quite a few of ours in the Premier League, including the 1-0 win over West Ham in 02/03, and I'm fairly certain he presided over a couple of our surprise results vs Arsenal. He definitely was still in the Premier League after we got promoted, and for a good 3 or 4 years as well.
He retired after being injured throughout 2008-9 and is now a magistrate in Sheffield. President of Hallam FC, who play on the oldest football ground in the world. All according to Wiki which also noted he reffed our 2001 playoff game versus PNE, where we won 3-0.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:13 pm

The oldest football pitch in the world is the one that Old Boltonians play on in Chapeltown, isn't it? Sheffield FC were the world's first club though (are they now called Hallam FC then?)

Edit: Ah right, I see (I think). I take it Hallam were the first to get a ground organised, rather than just a pitch.
Last edited by Bruce Rioja on Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:19 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:The oldest football pitch in the world is the one that Old Boltonians play on in Chapeltown, isn't it? Sheffield FC were the world's first club though (are they now called Hallam FC then?)

Edit: Ah right, I see (I think). I take it Hallam were the first to get a ground organised.
I was just quoting wiki quoting the Guinness Book of Records. However, I would read it to mean the oldest ground still in use. Footie was surely played on older pitches.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:22 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:The oldest football pitch in the world is the one that Old Boltonians play on in Chapeltown, isn't it? Sheffield FC were the world's first club though (are they now called Hallam FC then?)

Edit: Ah right, I see (I think). I take it Hallam were the first to get a ground organised.
I was just quoting wiki quoting the Guinness Book of Records. However, I would read it to mean the oldest ground still in use. Footie was surely played on older pitches.
Well I'm not sure what to believe then.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/13 ... e_country/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May the bridges I burn light your way

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:31 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

Well I'm not sure what to believe then.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/13 ... e_country/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hmmm, the McWhirter brothers or a doctoral student at Bolton University? Tough call. Mind you, the game described at Turton bears little resemblance to today's game. I expect there are village greens still used for events where teams get together and kick a ball around all day. However, from the dates given Chapelton predates Sheffield, though they are based on recollections written up in the 1870s.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:40 pm

It appears that football was first codified in English public schools in the Sixteenth Century and, since the schools still exist, perhaps the football grounds do.
The earliest evidence that games resembling football were being played at English public schools — mainly attended by boys from the upper, upper-middle and professional classes — comes from the Vulgaria by William Herman in 1519. Herman had been headmaster at Eton and Winchester colleges and his Latin textbook includes a translation exercise with the phrase "We wyll playe with a ball full of wynde".[39]

Richard Mulcaster, a student at Eton College in the early 16th century and later headmaster at other English schools, has been described as "the greatest sixteenth Century advocate of football".[40] Among his contributions are the earliest evidence of organised team football. Mulcaster's writings refer to teams ("sides" and "parties"), positions ("standings"), a referee ("judge over the parties") and a coach "(trayning maister)". Mulcaster's "footeball" had evolved from the disordered and violent forms of traditional football:

ome smaller number with such overlooking, sorted into sides and standings, not meeting with their bodies so boisterously to trie their strength: nor shouldring or shuffing one an other so barbarously ... may use footeball for as much good to the body, by the chiefe use of the legges.[41]

I was amused by the following reference that shows nothing much changes round Old Trafford.

By 1608, the local authorities in Manchester were complaining that: "With the ffotebale...[there] hath beene greate disorder in our towne of Manchester we are told, and glasse windowes broken yearlye and spoyled by a companie of lewd and disordered persons ..."[36] That same year, the word "football" was used disapprovingly by William Shakespeare. Shakespeare's play King Lear contains the line: "Nor tripped neither, you base football player" (Act I, Scene 4).

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:02 pm

In my sixth-form print of Lear, the word 'foot-ball' was hyphenated, which did vex me.

Northwich Vics' Drill Field was oft (and carefully) quoted as the world's oldest continuously-used ground... till they sold it for housing.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:46 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:In my sixth-form print of Lear, the word 'foot-ball' was hyphenated, which did vex me.

Northwich Vics' Drill Field was oft (and carefully) quoted as the world's oldest continuously-used ground... till they sold it for housing.
The Northwich Vics themselves were only founded in 1874, some time after Hallam. Of course the field could predate the team.

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:58 am

Surely Gaz-Faz's greatest moment was his Ronaldinho-esque lob of Seaman at Highbury (Campo sent off for nowt).

He was no better/worse than a lot of players we had around the time but I think he suffered more because he was a local lad.

If I have an accident that wasn't my fault I'll defo be giving him a call. I may be entitled to compensation.
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:28 am

Farrelly, good in the Championship, shit in the Prem. Inspiration for Andrews and Pratters.

Not sure about local lad though, being born in Dublin!

All the best players have lobbed Seamen though (pahahaha).
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:42 am

I always had him down as a Scouzer.

Just shows you eh?
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

Morkal
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Morkal » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:35 am

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:Cool just what the world needs...another solicitor.
I think there are lot of solicitor in the market but only some of them are experienced.So until you have a good training and experienced in this field you can't get a your goal.That's why most of the people avoid solicitors that don't have more experience and always call and on door for soliciting services.
Get lawyer assitance in gold coast
Last edited by Morkal on Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:56 am

Hi Gareth,

Be honest, that goal in the play-off final was deflected, wasn't it?

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:19 am

mrkint wrote:Hi Gareth,

Be honest, that goal in the play-off final was deflected, wasn't it?
Off his ears 8)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:31 pm

Just no Kinty.

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:35 pm

It was!

Have you seen any video evidence to denounce my truth? No, so I win.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:28 pm

Other than all of the video evidence of the goal, no.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:46 pm

mrkint wrote:It was!

Have you seen any video evidence to denounce my truth? No, so I win.
You're sounding like Ian Duncan Smith now
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:20 pm

Must admit, I thought it was deflected too.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.