(QP)R We Gonna Pick Up Our First Win Of The Season?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: (QP)R We Gonna Pick Up Our First Win Of The Season?

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:34 am

mcflykyle182 wrote:So what formation is that exactly?
Considering Ream seems not to be playing in defence (judging by Chris C's contact and the BWFC tweet), and that Medo, Spearing and Ream are never wide players in the memory of man, I can't see much width – unless the full-backs, liberated by the presence of Captain America, fling themselves forward (which they are, in fairness, not bad at doing). It's something like:

Bap-Zat-Wheats-Tierney
.............Ream.................
......Medo....Spearing......
.............CYL..................
.....Ngog.....Beckford.....

But then, he wants Ngog playing behind Beckford, so maybe CYL is in a free but wide role...

Oh I dunno. At all.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:38 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Strange team. Think we will get mullered.
Feels like a lot of square pegs. For instance, don't see why we need Ream in def-mid when DF has bought Medo and Spearing for precisely that role. There's also a lack of central creativity, unless the plan is to get full-backs forward and linking with CYL/Ngog in the opposing half.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:42 am

Wandering Willy wrote:Oh - totally agree, 10 games is a good point to review.

I will point out that a tough start in the PL is a different to one in the second division.

I just don't think we're very good, nor am I confident of improvement - hope I'm wrong!
This is exactly where I'm at - I hope I'm wrong I really do

mcflykyle182
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by mcflykyle182 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:42 am

If we don't get a clean sheet with 7 defensive outfield players on we never will.
''Amazing! Out of nothing Bolton are level. A quick throw, Kevin Nolan keeps play alive in the box and finds Kevin Davies on the left who lashes a shot under Oliver Kahn.''

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:42 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Strange team. Think we will get mullered.
Feels like a lot of square pegs. For instance, don't see why we need Ream in def-mid when DF has bought Medo and Spearing for precisely that role. There's also a lack of central creativity, unless the plan is to get full-backs forward and linking with CYL/Ngog in the opposing half.
Ream is on to man mark Johnson. One of if not the fastest defender we have.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:43 am

Coyle played Ream there against Man City in March 2012. We lost 2-0.
The Daily Telegraph wrote:Bolton employed the American defender Tim Ream as a shield to protect their back four, but City’s width and willingness meant they always looked like playing through the visitors.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:45 am

mcflykyle182 wrote:If we don't get a clean sheet with 7 defensive outfield players on we never will.
7 defensive players at home in the championship, Freedman's entertaining play and pray for a 1-0 strategy

Again I hope I'm wrong as we need 3 points today, but I'll be surprised if this line up / formation gets it

mcflykyle182
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by mcflykyle182 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:46 am

Little Green Man wrote:Coyle played Ream there against Man City in March 2012. We lost 2-0.
The Daily Telegraph wrote:Bolton employed the American defender Tim Ream as a shield to protect their back four, but City’s width and willingness meant they always looked like playing through the visitors.

Bit of a difference between City away (That seasons champions) and QPR at home though.
''Amazing! Out of nothing Bolton are level. A quick throw, Kevin Nolan keeps play alive in the box and finds Kevin Davies on the left who lashes a shot under Oliver Kahn.''

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:47 am

DJBlu wrote:Ream is on to man mark Johnson. One of if not the fastest defender we have.
There's debate about that: BoltonBoris, for instance, insists that Ream is slow, and he )Boris) generally knows his stuff. What I will say, though, is that "fastest Bolton defender" is firmly in "tallest dwarf" territory... :?
Little Green Man wrote:Coyle played Ream there against Man City in March 2012. We lost 2-0.
I remember it well. But City were a better team than, er, QP are...

mcflykyle182
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by mcflykyle182 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:48 am

Looking at the line ups I'm predicting 1-0 (Dunne O.G)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:49 am

Peter Thompson wrote:
mcflykyle182 wrote:If we don't get a clean sheet with 7 defensive outfield players on we never will.
7 defensive players at home in the championship, Freedman's entertaining play and pray for a 1-0 strategy

Again I hope I'm wrong as we need 3 points today, but I'll be surprised if this line up / formation gets it
If it happens I'll be delighted

As I say the plan could be to throw the full-backs forward – but as you imply it's hardly Brazil 82. But Brazil 82 isn't what we need, and anyway what happened to that Brazil 82 team?

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:49 am

I like the formation seems a narrow 433 our wingers have been shit this season (and last IMO)

But REAM!! last chance for him now
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:52 am

mcflykyle182 wrote:

Bit of a difference between City away (That seasons champions) and QPR at home though.
A big difference. I just hope we won't be reading something similar later on today.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:53 am

Remembered my wallet today.....

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:55 am

Some required reading for Knight and Wheater – from The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach:
Baseball was an art, but to excel at it you had to become a machine. It didn’t matter how beautifully you performed sometimes, what you did on your best day, how many spectacular plays you made. You weren’t a painter or a writer - you didn’t work in private and discard your mistakes, and it wasn’t just your masterpieces that counted. What mattered, as for any machine, was repeatability. Moments of inspiration were nothing compared to elimination of error.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:10 pm

Given Freedman's comments about Forest, Reading and now QPR, I think he expects a loss but wants a draw. The team he's picked suggests that is true. This is far too negative. Why don't we just play a normal 4-4-2, which turned our season around last year, and bring in Hall instead of playing Ream in a position which doesn't suit him and a formation which doesn't suit us?

Bringing players into positions they aren't used to and playing formations the team aren't familiar with just leads to disorganisation. It also shows you how much faith that Freedman has in the youth players, if he puts more trust in playing Ream out of position than Hall in his strongest position.

mcflykyle182
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by mcflykyle182 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:12 pm

QPR's kit :vomit:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:Remembered my wallet today.....
Do yourself a favour and chuck it in the canal!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:19 pm

dougie will be playing him there slightly differently... errrr...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:25 pm

well - s'working so far - 8mins gone and not losing..

yellow card for richard dunne