π = √(4c ) ∑ in Wiggin

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: π = √(4c ) ∑ in Wiggin

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:01 am

Tango, the marks in the paper are pretty accurate by my estimationhttp://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... tch_marks/

Definitely agree with McN as MoM. Moritz was great 2nd half but took a long time to get going.

LK, it looks like Rosler has come in and decided to be positive and get the best out of Wigan's attacking talent. I applaud him for it and bet their fans will see a lot more home entertainment than I will for the rest of the season. My Wigan mate at work said before our game that the football they played in the Euro defeat was the best he'd seen this season and boded well.
Time will tell I suppose.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:07 am

Lord Kangana wrote:Cunningly, he probably concentrated on football first. The devious bastard.

I'm kinda getting a sense of having heard this schtick before... it's on the edge of my memory - someone else who got childishly and ridiculously excited by how ace and marvellous all the managers of the teams we played against were... his name's on the tip of my tongue... great, smashing, super...

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:12 am

Maybe we should appoint someone of ov here?
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:15 am

thebish wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:Cunningly, he probably concentrated on football first. The devious bastard.

I'm kinda getting a sense of having heard this schtick before... it's on the edge of my memory - someone else who got childishly and ridiculously excited by how ace and marvellous all the managers of the teams we played against were... his name's on the tip of my tongue... great, smashing, super...
Jim Bowen?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:16 am

Lord Kangana wrote:
thebish wrote:

Jim Bowen?
very close....

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:20 am

Jim Davidson??

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:21 am

Aiden Davison ???
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:32 am

Harley Davidson?
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Norpig
Promising
Promising

Post by Norpig » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:02 am

Well I have just about calmed down after a very fraught afternoon both on and off the pitch.

Off the pitch the constant arguments with the stewards, who could not find seats for everyone and insisted on anybody without a seat go under the stand. This seemed bizarre and they had no clue what to do as the game wore on and eventually gave up. Gladly there was no incident and I thought under the circumstances the Bolton fans were very good humoured throughout. Well done lads as it could have turned very ugly!

As for the fayre on the pitch, I thought first half DF had us set up wrongly, Danns was playing in the middle of the park with Moritz wasted on the wing especially when he turned up on the left wing as part of the way we were set up the wingers were required to track back and help the full backs out from the obvious threat on the wings especially from Macmannaman. Moritz could not tackle his way out of a wet paper bag, Chungy I thought did well tracking back. We were totally overrun in the first half because of this obvious error in judgement from DF. Add to this the complete lack of cohesion in defence Ream and Mills were falling over each other, Baptiste is NOT a left back (granted we have nobody else to play here) and McNaughton who kept drifting inside because mills and ream were ball chasing.

At half time to give DF his due he moved Moritz inside and Danns to the left to help Baptiste. We looked more balanced and Moritz was able to get into the game. This change created our first goal and they then panicked and back pedalled and for the first time this season we were in total control of the game. After the second goal I honestly thought we would go on to win until we decided to take a more defensive stance to let Wigan back into it, their 3rd goal was a complete shambles, how many chances do we need to clear it? They need telling there is nothing wrong with putting your foot through it when under pressure! Wigan then went ultra defensive trying to hang on to the win. I thought we should have made the substitutions all 3 straight after they got the 3rd. Dithering Dougie cost us the game. Bringing players on with 10 minutes to go drip feeding them onto the pitch we needed somebody to make a decisive decision to get reinforcements on the pitch quickly. However, our over cautious manager took 15 minutes to make his mind up. It is these indecisive moments throughout the season that will cost us the chance of promotion (which I think is a pipe dream at the moment).

I am not against DF but he really needs to improve his tactical abilities. He also needs to pick a captain who understands what is required to change to game when we are under the cosh as we were in the first half, Spearing is no intelligent enough for the job running around waving your arms about saying come on lads does not make a good leader.

Martin_Cruise
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Martin_Cruise » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:09 am

It's a horrible day today.All the Wigan fans laughing at Bolton because they can play in Europe on Thursday and still beat the crap side Freedman has put together on the ten bob Davies has given him.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:19 am

All the Wigan fans? Does anybody actually know any? I know rugby fans who say they support the football team when they win so they can just say Wigan is ace, but there are only about ten actual fans and they are all about 15.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:22 am

they're in short supply down here...

Martin_Cruise
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Martin_Cruise » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:28 am

Prufrock wrote:All the Wigan fans? Does anybody actually know any? I know rugby fans who say they support the football team when they win so they can just say Wigan is ace, but there are only about ten actual fans and they are all about 15.
Championship gates

10 Ipswich Town 165,584 16,558
11 Middlesbrough 143,088 15,898
12 Bolton Wanderers 157,300 15,730
13 Watford 156,142 15,614
14 Wigan Athletic 153,285 15,328

They're averaging 402 less than us this season. That's how far they have risen and how far we have fallen. 26,700 under Sam less than a decade ago and they were on about 5,000
Last edited by Martin_Cruise on Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:30 am

Prufrock wrote:All the Wigan fans? Does anybody actually know any? I know rugby fans who say they support the football team when they win so they can just say Wigan is ace, but there are only about ten actual fans and they are all about 15.
I know this is tongue in cheek Pru, but sadly I know about 20. Most of them do the Bury thing, supporting scouse teams generally when they're on the telly box and that, but you know they've got ST's and all that.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:34 am

Yeah I thought it was all the Liverpool fans in Skem and then beyond Wrightington way who couldn't get An field STs. I never knew a single person my age growing up who 'loved' Wigan, and whilst I went to school in Bolton, Adlington is getting fecking close.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:06 pm

I didn't see the point of changing the shape, we were in the ascendency up until that point. It felt like we were making changes for the sake of making changes. We should have kept the same formation and got fresh legs on. We lost momentum when we went two up top IMO.

I think the 2nd half performance bodes well especially with Mavies coming back. Certainly expecting more expansive football at home. Moritz had a shocking first half but the second half he was at the heart of everything good when he switched with Danns. Lad has a thunderbolt of a shot too. Danns is becoming one of my favourites too, works solidly and now seems to be creating chances. A few were criticising Baptiste but I don't think many could have coped with their winger. He was fairly exceptional. We do need a left footed defender there though, when he gets forward he always cuts back on his right which stops dead our counters attacks on that wing.

We really should have won after equalizing, only one team in it. Fans need to give it a little time, I do feel we're almost on the verge of going on a monstrous run. It's disheartening when the dickhead behind shouts "fecking Freedman" after Wigan scored their third. Had he not been watching the previous 20 minutes?

What we can take from this is we have the ability to comeback from conceding. So I hope Freedman decides to open up the game a little more from the beginning rather than keeping it tight especially at home. If we start games like after the break we're going to win plently of games this season.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:09 pm

My Wigan colleague thought we let them off the hook. He wasn't laughing, was just grateful for the points after we battered them early 2nd half.
Agree with Norpig about DF, under him they lack the ability to go out and play agressively unless they are losing. Tails were up after a great effort to level the game (which I wasn't expecting) the game was there for the winning, but we just don't take the attacking initiative under Freedman. It was like an equaliser was enough.

adamworthy2002
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by adamworthy2002 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:08 pm

Second Wigan goal was clearly offside



ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:13 pm

adamworthy2002 wrote:Second Wigan goal was clearly offside

Dougie agrees 8)

http://www.burndenaces.co.uk/2013/12/15 ... wigan.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dougie Freedman criticised the match officials and Wigan Athletic players after seeing his Bolton side lose 3-2 to the Latics at the DW Stadium.

The hosts took a two-goal lead into the break, courtesy of a Ben Watson penalty and a spectacular overhead-kick from Nick Powell, but Wanderers bounced back after the interval and pulled level thanks to Neil Danns and an Andre Moritz penalty.

Callum McManaman's 68th minute strike handed Wigan all three points and although Freedman was happy with the response his players showed in the second half, he believes poor finishing has once again cost his side dear - as well as what he perceived to be two questionable decisions from the match officials.

"I'm disappointed," Freedman told the club's official website. "We lost a game today that we shouldn't have lost.

"I am disappointed with the perception of the first Wigan goal. I am not criticising the referee's decision because it is such a hard job to do, but when he gives a corner and five or six Wigan players surround him, it changes the perception of the incident.

"We also feel the second goal is offside. We found ourselves two goals down and our spirit and positive play got us back into the game.

"In the second half we kept on going and we got level. The disappointing thing for me was for five or ten minutes after our equaliser we lost our shape.

"In the games we have lost recently there has been one goal in it and it is very narrow margins. It is my job to get the team organised.

"We pressed the ball right today and we created opportunities. We had enough chances to win the game in my eyes but we didn't take them.

"Our rotation in midfield today was fantastic, which allowed Andre Moritz to get on the ball. Neil Danns also had a big game in the second half with his deep runs.

"At the end of the day we lost, there are no excuses and in all honesty I wish we had a game tomorrow.

"We have to start taking more of our opportunities but we are playing the game in the right spirit."

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:27 pm