Freedman out!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: Freedman out!

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:37 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:Also, the moment our home support gets on their case when things are not going well, they seem to wilt and want to hide. Our team needs some individuals with guts.
This is a myth. Our fans have not been on their case this season anywhere near as much as they might have been. Yes there have been grumblings and the odd boo, but I think it's been quite muted considering our dire home form. Crowd got behind them last game when they were pushing 2nd half and they still didn't score.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:10 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:When Freedman came in, our squad was comprised of players who had
us just above the relegation places while screwing big bucks for being shite
Sto ut Serviam

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:08 pm

Oh look Caps is back.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:45 pm

Aye, back from Barnsley

You should've introduced yourself
Sto ut Serviam

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:53 am

Why the f*ck would you need to go all the way to Barnsley to see the wonderful job Dougie is doing?

Any fool knows its got nowt to do with results, so I'd be amazed if you were actually stupid enough to start crowing about our bi-annual good one. I'd suggest sticking to sitting outside Euxton and marvelling at how well organised the lunch time chippy order is.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:17 am

I couldn't listen to the game yesterday and only followed it on Twitter. From what was being said we struggled in the first half and had Andy Lonergan to thank for keeping the score at 0-0

Admittedly Barnsley are riding high in the league with an impressive attacking form and...oh hang on a tick.

Well I listened to Dougie after the game and he said how Barnsley's a tough ground to go to (they've won 3 games all season) and blah blah blah. Fair enough they've got a new manager and it could have been a rotten day simply because of the arrival of Danny Wilson sparking the home side into life but at the end of the day a win's a win and that's what we needed.

The thing that got me was when he was questioned about the loan signings and the transfer window. He said that Danns, McNaughton and Feeney had done well for us but that's what the loan system was for and we'd used it well.

He went on to say that he knows that the fans want 'big signings' but he was a responsible manager who wouldn't put the club into debt for the sake of it

Do we want 'big signings'? I don't think so, I've not heard a single person saying we must go out and and bring in a load of new players. I'm pretty sure we're fairly happy with the squad it's just the way they play that's getting on everyone's nerves. He could sign Suarez but if he's going to stick him on the subs bench because of some crazed notion he has then what's the point?

I'm glad we won. It was pretty much all that would have been acceptable now we're in the position we are and let's look forward to the next game.

Which might even make it on to the 'round-the-grounds' on 5live.
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

Wrighty92
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Wrighty92 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:03 am

Beckford or Mason to be our fox in the box?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:20 am

Wrighty92 wrote:Beckford or Mason to be our fox in the box?
Have we had one since Klasnic? Foxes in boxes, ie goal poachers, usually hang around the edges and pounce on loose stuff. Right now, who's the muscle up front to feed them? I'm asking this because I haven't seen many games lately and none this season. Mason seems useful as a worker, but neither he nor Beckford seem to win much in the air. I really thought N'gog was going to be the power man but he seems a lost cause. Moritz might fit the fox role if we get the point man sorted. Our defence seems at least better than it was and we have quite a few midfield options, even better for Mark Davies coming back. It all seems to hang on the striker role. All our goals are a hotch-potch from all sorts of areas but "leading goalscorer" doesnt stand out right now.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:24 am

You can't generally sustain a fox-in-the-box in the formation we're playing. The only time we've come close is with Ricketts. Even then, Sam used him much of the time as a sub. And also had a good goalscoring midfielder in Nolan. Beckford is alright, I'm not sure he's as lethal as Ricketts though. So.... Mason?

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:56 pm

Wrighty92 wrote:Beckford and Mason to be our foxes in the box?
I've corrected your mistake. :wink:
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:36 pm

malcd1 wrote:
No. You haven't been listening. Douglas has stated categorically that anyone who thinks we should play with 2 strikers is WRONG. consider this post part of your education.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:38 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
malcd1 wrote:
No. You haven't been listening. Douglas has stated categorically that anyone who thinks we should play with 2 strikers is WRONG. consider this post part of your education.
Which, if true to form, means he'll start playing 2 up front very soon.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:54 pm

He'll also wait until you're finally in form and scoring goals and drop you for a loanee that he isn't getting 'up to speed' for another club because he doesn't believe in that :roll:

gizmothevoomer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by gizmothevoomer » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:45 pm

Whilst I believe given time Dougie will produce a team who can challenge for promotion from this division, if we as a club are serious about getting back to the premier league we should break the bank to get Malky Mackay who has just been sacked.

Dougie is a decent manager, look what a top drawer manager can do ( Mclaren at Derby ), earlier on this thread I advocated him as a viable alternative to Dougie whilst he was just a coach at QPR. Of course there is no point in changing manager if we are unable to back him financially.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:49 pm

The only positive about Freedman not being sacked already is that a few decent managers have come up recently. Zola, Clarke and now Mackay are all available, and if we wait even longer, I wouldn't be shocked to see Lambert, Allardyce and a few other good managers end up getting sacked. There's more choice for a team like us now, compared to a few months ago when the best picks were Pulis, McClaren etc.. They would have been good choices but I think there's more choice now.

gizmothevoomer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by gizmothevoomer » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:56 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:The only positive about Freedman not being sacked already is that a few decent managers have come up recently. Zola, Clarke and now Mackay are all available, and if we wait even longer, I wouldn't be shocked to see Lambert, Allardyce and a few other good managers end up getting sacked. There's more choice for a team like us now, compared to a few months ago when the best picks were Pulis, McClaren etc.. They would have been good choices but I think there's more choice now.
I agree more managers are available and better ones, I still believe in Dougie, but if we can get a genuine top drawer manager in and we have the finances to back him we should.

Clarke and Mackay are top drawer would also agree with Lambert not sure yet about Zola .

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:12 pm

gizmothevoomer wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:The only positive about Freedman not being sacked already is that a few decent managers have come up recently. Zola, Clarke and now Mackay are all available, and if we wait even longer, I wouldn't be shocked to see Lambert, Allardyce and a few other good managers end up getting sacked. There's more choice for a team like us now, compared to a few months ago when the best picks were Pulis, McClaren etc.. They would have been good choices but I think there's more choice now.
I agree more managers are available and better ones, I still believe in Dougie, but if we can get a genuine top drawer manager in and we have the finances to back him we should.

Clarke and Mackay are top drawer would also agree with Lambert not sure yet about Zola .
Maybe we could loan one ??
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:36 pm

So what we're looking for is a manager who's currently on his arse but also 'top drawer'

A manager in the bottom three of the Prem who can lead us to the glory land of....the bottom three of the Prem.

If that's the case we should have stuck with Knobson.

I fully support Vincent Tan in everything he does.
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:39 pm

Bottom three in the Prem is higher on the football pyramid than 17th in The Championship, though. Even if it is a technicality. Which I don't even think it is. Is it?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:44 pm

Zola :lol:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.