Freedman out!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Re: Freedman out!

Post by jaffka » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:37 am

a1 wrote:
jaffka wrote: Still unsure as to what you are babbling on about.

Freedman needs to get some results. Simple really, a bit like you.
nice.

i'm saying you cant write him off for nearly getting us up one season after about 12 months, allardyce didnt get us promoted on his first go neither. i never wrote allardyce off using this somewhat unfair method of predicting the future.

maybe ive mistaken the man's point a bit, but getting them (bolton) near the playoffs was a minor miracle,..

.. and ,for me, he buys himself some time of 'fecking up' by not getting promoted. Just because i know that Coyle was fecking crazy and 'not getting promoted' is like winning the world cup when compared to the 'WTF?' 'lose by 3 goals' seasons of coyle.

if youre dismissing zola as being bobbins its the "it's a me , mario!" accent that renders him bobbins. and that he had a unfair fluckton of players and wages etc last year and still ballzed it up. and west ham sacked him coz he were shite. i wouldnt use zola being shite as any kind of comparable yardstick RE: Freedman . its a pretty different scenario .

the overly grammatical thing, was a reference the brickbats folk use on [freedman] for using (as megson used to) the word "this" as in "this club" instead of "us" . going off this , and only this, he's fecking doomed coz folk went apeshit over it last time.

cant wait for the "we won inspite of freedman, not because of him" stuff later, think ive seen it used once, so far. But yeah, feck him off and get mcginlay* in.

* or steve fulton. he played for bolton [probably literally] once.
Blah, blah, blah, waffle, megson, blah, coyle, waffle, shite etc

That sums ALL of your posts. :roll:

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:28 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:A good manager is someone that can...

Assemble a squad of players that can concentrate and turn up for 90 odd minutes at a time.
Sign players that complement the strengths and weaknesses of the others.
Assign players to roles in the team that play to their strengths.
Set a team up to play to their strengths.
Motivate players.
Learn from mistakes.
Be adaptable.
Understand their own weaknesses and build a coaching staff to complement.

There are others, but a manager competent in that lot will generally do better than one that isn't.
Does all this have to be achieved in 18 months - particularly 1 and 2

I'd not be shocked to hear something approaching 50 clubs in the League have changed managers since we did

Its ridiculous
Sto ut Serviam

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:07 am

CAPSLOCK wrote:
To only be one place lower while cleaning up Coyles shit is nothing less than stunning

They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:28 am

Assemble a squad of players that can concentrate and turn up for 90 odd minutes at a time.
Motivate players.
Learn from mistakes.
Be adaptable.

There are others, but a manager competent in that lot will generally do better than one that isn't.

And can you name some of these good managers?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:17 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:

Motivate players.
Learn from mistakes.
Be adaptable.

I'd not be shocked to hear something approaching 50 clubs in the League have changed managers since we did

Its ridiculous
We'll never know because he tends to drop/not play his signings most of the time. He does play his loan signings despite what he keeps saying about loaning players. I'm just confused about what he is doing as he isn't doing what he says he is going to do.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:19 pm

Sponge wrote:

Motivate players.
Learn from mistakes.
Be adaptable.

And can you name some of these good managers?
Seeing as I pay no attention to other teams I couldn't say who meets this criteria. Our chairman ought to given his job role though...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:07 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:I rate Zolanot-freedman as a manager. He did a good job with Watfordthat other club last year and whilst things didn't work out for him against this season, I think he'll go on to be a good manager in the future. He's a lot better than Freedman is anyway.
we might as well have it generic-ised...

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:07 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:I rate Zola as a manager. He did a good job with Watford last year and whilst things didn't work out for him against this season, I think he'll go on to be a good manager in the future. He's a lot better than Freedman is anyway.
But shirley people can look at Freedman's record last year and say that he's also good manager a per pro our late season form, no? However, ultimately you know he isn't and I know that he isn't and neither of us are fooled by what hppened late on last season. I apply that same thinking to Zola too.
I never considered that run to be altogether convincing. Maybe I'm hard to please but, though we garnered points and got good traction up the league, there were few clear, classy victories and it seemed to be getting all the luck that they'd not had earlier in the season.

I did say this at the time, not just leaping on his back now.
Yeah, pretty much this. I don't think we played well last season, even when the results were consistently very good, and even though that's always the most important thing, I thought we rode our luck a lot. On the other hand, Watford looked like an excellent side at times last year and played some really good football. Considering the amount of players that were brought into the club, which as we've seen at Spurs lately can have a detrimental effect, then I think Zola did a good job to galvanise the squad and get good performances out of them.

He's still unproven as a manager but I think he'll go on to have a good career in the future. For me, Freedman had a better squad than Zola had last year but the results were worse and the performances just don't match up to what Zola got out of his side. I'd happily take a punt on Zola.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:57 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:I rate Zola as a manager. He did a good job with Watford last year and whilst things didn't work out for him against this season, I think he'll go on to be a good manager in the future. He's a lot better than Freedman is anyway.
But shirley people can look at Freedman's record last year and say that he's also good manager a per pro our late season form, no? However, ultimately you know he isn't and I know that he isn't and neither of us are fooled by what hppened late on last season. I apply that same thinking to Zola too.
I never considered that run to be altogether convincing. Maybe I'm hard to please but, though we garnered points and got good traction up the league, there were few clear, classy victories and it seemed to be getting all the luck that they'd not had earlier in the season.

I did say this at the time, not just leaping on his back now.
Yeah, pretty much this. I don't think we played well last season, even when the results were consistently very good, and even though that's always the most important thing, I thought we rode our luck a lot. On the other hand, Watford looked like an excellent side at times last year and played some really good football. Considering the amount of players that were brought into the club, which as we've seen at Spurs lately can have a detrimental effect, then I think Zola did a good job to galvanise the squad and get good performances out of them.

He's still unproven as a manager but I think he'll go on to have a good career in the future. For me, Freedman had a better squad than Zola had last year but the results were worse and the performances just don't match up to what Zola got out of his side. I'd happily take a punt on Zola.
The majority of the players knew each other and 7 or 8 come from the same team on loan if I remember rightly. No surprise that they have flopped this season after losing some of the better players like Vydra. He would have had to be abysmal to have a bad season last year with that team.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:09 pm

Steve Bruce gets some stick but he got promoted at Zola's expense last season with what seemed to be a less talented squad.
PS Mad Mick has got Ipswich up to 5th, surprised no-one has mentioned it? :conf:

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:13 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:

Motivate players.
Learn from mistakes.
Be adaptable.

Its ridiculous
We'll never know because he tends to drop/not play his signings most of the time. He does play his loan signings despite what he keeps saying about loaning players. I'm just confused about what he is doing as he isn't doing what he says he is going to do.
This thing he 'keeps saying' could you provide me some quotes cos I'm sure folk on here keep suggesting he's said things that he hasn't actually said

From memory, he disagrees with the loan system, feels clubs have abused it, but accepts that is allowed under the rules and he will use the system despite not liking it

I see little wrong in his position
Sto ut Serviam

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:07 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Steve Bruce gets some stick but he got promoted at Zola's expense last season with what seemed to be a less talented squad.
PS Mad Mick has got Ipswich up to 5th, surprised no-one has mentioned it? :conf:
McCarthy, along with Pulis and McClaren more recently, was scoffed at by our fans a while ago, yet he's doing a very good job. I remember a few people taking the piss out of BL3 for suggesting McCarthy, yet with a lesser squad, he's doing a far better job than Freedman is. All three of them are good managers and that's all we're missing right now.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:37 pm

I must admit I thought we were better off with DF than MM. I don't now but then I don't want either of them to manage us.
My comment above is a bit of a pisstake but is a light-hearted dig aimed at the extreme repetition of the McCarthyisms last season rather than relative abilities.

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:11 pm

Have we reached the point yet where when we win it's the players and when we don't it's the manager...?
Guess I'll just have to pray for another accidental run of results like last season...
and now Zola's the answer? ...
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:50 pm

I'm nailing my colours up.

Anyone that hasn't managed us yet, is a better manager than anyone that's done it before.

Excepting the one's that left before it went tits up.

Obviously.

Lets get a new one every six months.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:40 am

SmokinFrazier wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:Steve Bruce gets some stick but he got promoted at Zola's expense last season with what seemed to be a less talented squad.
McCarthy, along with Pulis and McClaren more recently, was scoffed at by our fans a while ago, yet he's doing a very good job. I remember a few people taking the piss out of BL3 for suggesting McCarthy, yet with a lesser squad, he's doing a far better job than Freedman is. All three of them are good managers and that's all we're missing right now.
Folk took the piss out of BL3 because he suggested every manager that had strung 2 wins together was better. He raved about a different one every week. MM does have a better record than Dougie, but I don't feel he would in the long term be a good manager for us.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:59 am

CAPSLOCK wrote:
This thing he 'keeps saying' could you provide me some quotes cos I'm sure folk on here keep suggesting he's said things that he hasn't actually said

From memory, he disagrees with the loan system, feels clubs have abused it, but accepts that is allowed under the rules and he will use the system despite not liking it

I see little wrong in his position
I can't be arsed searching for quotes, but he has said things like, some of these youngsters have a part to play this season, meaning in particular the young lad whose name escapes me. Less than a week later he was out on loan and has been out on various loans all season. Ngog was supposedly brilliant and central to how we were going to ace up front. Yet doesn't play (not that I would). He spends all summer trying to get Beckford. He then plays him every week, but the moment he hits goal scoring form he loans someone in and drops him.

I've not been a Dougie outer, but I cannot see what he has actually achieved since he got here, given the time he has had. It is time for him to put up or shut up as far as I'm concerned.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:17 am

SmokinFrazier wrote:
hmmmm.... YOU scoffed at McCarthy yourself in 2012....

remember this???
SmokinFrazier wrote:This is what people who support Coyle being sacked need to realise. Whilst he may not be doing great right now, his track record isn't that bad and look at the people who would potentially replace him. You've got your usual useless managers, who are proven failures, like Dowie, Souness, McCarthy, Reid and so on. We aren't in any sort of position to get a good quality manager and we'd either get someone who is old and out dated or someone who is young and inexperienced as a manager, just like Coyle.

It may well be a case of 'better the devil you know'. If someone can come up with a list of better alternatives, I'd like to read it, and I hope nobody responds with the tired old nonsense like "Anyone could do better than Coyle!".

so... here's how it works...

when you are defending Coyle - McCarthy is a useless, proven failure
when you are slagging Freedman - McCarthy is a footballing manager-god

can you REALLY expect us to take you seriously when you do this??

you also wrote this in sept 2012:
SmokinFrazier wrote:I'd want someone young, not a proven failure like McCarthy, Dowie, Brown and those lot.
and this:
SmokinFrazier wrote:No. It's pathetic and we deserve better than that. Get rid of Coyle? Fine, but we should not settle for a mug who will not improve the club. You may not think anyone can be worse than Coyle but the likes of McCarthy are no better and we shouldn't settle for that.

a mug, a useless, proven failure.... or so you said when it suited you....

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:36 am

Bloody hell, Bish........there's a TV show, right there....a crime solving vicar.....

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:43 am

Annoyed Grunt wrote:Bloody hell, Bish........there's a TV show, right there....a crime solving vicar.....
well... now that Poirot is finished... :D