Forest match thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Forest match thread

Post by clapton is god » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:14 pm

ChrisC wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
ChrisC wrote:
Still had people moaning on the radio on the way home. Even though they hadn't been to the game. Unbelievable.
They are irrelevant. First time we've dropped points this season without a grumble at the final whistle. The crowd knew the applause was deserved and the atmosphere was the best of the season.
How shit was the Forest lot!?

Didn't hear a peep from them until they scored and then shut up after 5 minutes. Then nothing the rest of the game.

I though their lot were suppose to be decent support?
Did anybody else notice the oldest hooligan in town?

An old gimmer wasn't half giving it some right through the first half, two gangways in from the east lower corner.. He was up and down the steps, turning to each section of the away crowd and cajoling everybody around him and starting chants and generally bouncing up and down for the whole half. I thought he was fantastic, the epitome of what a football fan should be. And yet the stewards still had words with him no less than five times that I saw! If he'd been a young lad I'm sure he would have been ejected but he seemed to get the sympathy vote and stayed in.

AbrahM
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by AbrahM » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:24 pm

Knight would be my MOM today, made several crucial interceptions and tackles. Lonergan's two saves were amazing, the first one was world class.

I don't think Lee was that bad, he's never really been a game changer but I think he is a good team player

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:30 pm

The best home game of the season and an excellent, battling, skilful performance. Shame we couldn't cap it with all three points - which we might, just about, have deserved. The last 20 minutes they were rocking. and resorting to cynical fouls. Not a single bad performance today. Lonergan, again, excellent when needed. MotM probably Danns, for sheer energy, persistence, skill.

Special, special mention to Mark Davies, 90 minutes and up for it throughout.

Also for Mills, who had his best game of the season. And Zat Knight who did his job well.

We won't get in the play offs, but this is now four games on the run when we were on the front foot. We are Bolton Wanderers, we are not afraid. I like!

Nice. Very. :D

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:37 pm

bobo the clown wrote:He may well have a point, he certainly has nore coaching experience than mere fans. it's just that he comes over as a long-winded version if Megson. If I were his mentor I'd advise him not to give press conferences or to keep them very short as whenever he opens his gob he proceeds to put his foot in it.

I'd mind less if he was telling us all this from a position of strength. 2 home league wins since April sort of reduces his ability to turn to the fans and say "people who know football" ... as does the frequency with which he stands his ground so strongly and minutes later does precisely the thing he was criticising.

.. & yes, again he will spend the whole match worrying about Forest instead of contemplating having them worry about us. Who knows .... we may perform well. We may even win.

I suppose I've just lost it with him.
And once again, he didn't. As for the last four games. When the manager is doing something you say you want, you could give him some credit.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:41 pm

William the White wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:He may well have a point, he certainly has nore coaching experience than mere fans. it's just that he comes over as a long-winded version if Megson. If I were his mentor I'd advise him not to give press conferences or to keep them very short as whenever he opens his gob he proceeds to put his foot in it.

I'd mind less if he was telling us all this from a position of strength. 2 home league wins since April sort of reduces his ability to turn to the fans and say "people who know football" ... as does the frequency with which he stands his ground so strongly and minutes later does precisely the thing he was criticising.

.. & yes, again he will spend the whole match worrying about Forest instead of contemplating having them worry about us. Who knows .... we may perform well. We may even win.

And once again, he didn't. As for the last four games. When the manager is doing something you say you want, you could give him some credit.
I just did.

... & in case you feel I'm being mealy-mouthed, I do again here, now. ... well done Mr Freedman.

I do ask why it's taken him 20 games to see what many of us have seen since the beginning of the season, and after any play-off chance has probably gone, but he has at least begun to look like he may, just, be turning a corner.

Still, it's a start (as I said 10 minutes ago) ... well done, again, at last, Mr F.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

mrplow
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by mrplow » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:53 pm

William the White wrote:The best home game of the season and an excellent, battling, skilful performance. Shame we couldn't cap it with all three points - which we might, just about, have deserved. The last 20 minutes they were rocking. and resorting to cynical fouls. Not a single bad performance today. Lonergan, again, excellent when needed. MotM probably Danns, for sheer energy, persistence, skill.

Special, special mention to Mark Davies, 90 minutes and up for it throughout.

Also for Mills, who had his best game of the season. And Zat Knight who did his job well.

We won't get in the play offs, but this is now four games on the run when we were on the front foot. We are Bolton Wanderers, we are not afraid. I like!

Nice. Very. :D
Seconded. Really enjoyed that. Well done to all concerned.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:55 pm

Agree with what's been said. Don't know what on earth Uncle Brian would have made of that bunch of dirty, cynical time-wasting tossers. A disgrace to the shirt, some of 'em. Anyway, game of the season by a mile otherwise - our lot have never looked so up for it. Real exhilarating stuff. And if Ginger walks back into the side when fit then it'll be one of the greatest travesties in the history of our club.

By the way, Andy Reid is James Dean Bradfield. You heard it here first. ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:59 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Agree with what's been said. Don't know what on earth Uncle Brian would have made of that bunch of dirty, cynical time-wasting tossers. A disgrace to the shirt, some of 'em. Anyway, game of the season by a mile otherwise - our lot have never looked so up for it. Real exhilarating stuff. And if Ginger walks back into the side when fit then it'll be one of the greatest travesties in the history of our club.

By the way, Andy Reid is James Dean Bradfield. You heard it here first. ;)
:D

wanderer10
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by wanderer10 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:02 pm

Agree completely with everything said. I actually had a good day at the Reebok, performance, atmosphere, actual desire to go at a team!

Just slightly frustrated Medo didn't get a start. He was brilliant last week and surely merited one? I think he could have been the difference. I certainly feel like we get cut open through the middle a lot less with Medo in there.
"In 1874 boys of Christchurch Sunday School along with their master Thomas Ogden established a football club which went under the name of the school. The club broke away in 1877 and became Bolton Wanderers Football Club"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:12 pm

wanderer10 wrote: Just slightly frustrated Medo didn't get a start. He was brilliant last week and surely merited one?
Me too. I can only assume that he's picked up a knock. Otherwise, what kind of message does it send out when a player is man of the match one week yet finds himself dropped the next? :conf:

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:43 pm

just back.
well that was probably best game of season to attend.
ropey first 10 mins for us - they had a couple of good chances, we did our normal backing off giving them space. But then we picked up and probably shaded the rest the half in a pretty enjoyable open game. Players seemed up for it thought some of mark davies running off the ball made such a difference from previous games and seemed to make others pass & move.

2nd half - what a contrast. early forest goal (we had a red sea parting moment) and the complexion of the game changed. really surprised by forest - just resorted to gamesmanship (what a strange word) and spoiling tactics. Totally backfired on them. The fouls, the feigning injury just served to get the crowd going (they should have read one of our other threads), which the players fed off. grateful moritz took free kick for the equaliser off spearing

pros - good energy & desire. also some good football passing & movement. the 2 up front and Mavies pushing on was great to see. an atmosphere for last half hour. we do have a good squad of players.

cons - pity beckford got injured, would liked to have seen how that would have gone - took moritz quite a while to get into the game. spearing & chungy were OK but I'd still rather have gone with medo (he must be pissed off) and eagles. didnt' work their keeper enough. only 1 point. still in 18th

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:27 pm

ChrisC wrote:
clapton is god wrote:Once a goal up Forest changed completely. Before half time I thought they looked very good going forwards and always seemed to have a man spare, especially in the first ten when they twice had a man over in the box. I don't think I've ever seen a team change so comprehensively though and they became a team of spoilers and nigglers and time wasters and it was that that led indirectly to our come back. We were always going to come back into it, I thought, and the goal from Mills was fully deserved.

Danns - superb from start to finish! Can't praise him enough. And Lonergan, two real world class saves, one high up to his right to claw out a ball from the goal line and another low down to his left. Surely now even DF can see we look much better with a single holding midfielder rather than two.

Great game. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and I've not said that too often this season.
Still had people moaning on the radio on the way home. Even though they hadn't been to the game. Unbelievable.
Thats the cock who is on every week who reckons we should sack Freedman and make 'Super' Kevin Davies player manager
Sto ut Serviam

Nottingham_Blancs
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Nottingham_Blancs » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:35 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote:My real hatred lies for their nearest rivals, always hated County more than any other team. Also Nottingham's a sh*thole :D .
Dan, Nottingham isn't a sh*thole, it's a pretty cool city...lots of decent bars, restaurants, 2 x uni's, decent theatre's, trams, a nice river, test match cricket, 2 x footie teams, more women than men ...my home since in left Bolton at 21...oh and why do you hate Notts County ....a really nice club...nothing to hate about them !

As for the match... weakest links were Chungy and Spearing.... lost our momentum a bit after Beckford went off ..... I told you Forest were a dirty team...Forest support was less than I expected and they were unusually subdued.

Half decent atmosphere as we poured forward in the second half. I wish Mark Davies would run at defences a little more...he's unplayable when he does that...oh and he seemed a yard faster than he was pre-injury.

Oh and can BBC Manc please ban the fool who rings in 'first call post-match'... hash tag embarrassing
Allez Les Blancs .... Phil

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:52 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
William the White wrote:

I just did.

... & in case you feel I'm being mealy-mouthed, I do again here, now. ... well done Mr Freedman.

I do ask why it's taken him 20 games to see what many of us have seen since the beginning of the season, and after any play-off chance has probably gone, but he has at least begun to look like he may, just, be turning a corner.

Still, it's a start (as I said 10 minutes ago) ... well done, again, at last, Mr F.
We only have one Mark Davies

An exceptional footballer
Sto ut Serviam

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:54 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
wanderer10 wrote: Just slightly frustrated Medo didn't get a start. He was brilliant last week and surely merited one?
Me too. I can only assume that he's picked up a knock. Otherwise, what kind of message does it send out when a player is man of the match one week yet finds himself dropped the next? :conf:
I don't think Medo is ever going to start ahead of Spearing

Also, Reid wound him up at Forest and maybe would've done again
Sto ut Serviam

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:18 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote: I don't think Medo is ever going to start ahead of Spearing
Were you at the Blackpool game, last week?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:26 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Yes I know Dougie has form for tinkering unnecessarily but he was effusive in his praise of Medo last week so for him not to be on the bench I'd guess there's a (hopefully slight) injury.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:36 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
William the White wrote:

I just did.

Not often we disagree Caps. Mavies is fairly limited. Pissnwind.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:47 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote: I don't think Medo is ever going to start ahead of Spearing
Were you at the Blackpool game, last week?
The game where Spearing was rested, aye
Sto ut Serviam

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:48 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
William the White wrote:

I just did.

Not often we disagree Caps. Mavies is fairly limited. Pissnwind.
Don't be ashamed

Nowt wrong with being wrong...so I'm told
Sto ut Serviam