Giant Killing on the Cards? (Cardiff Thread)

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mcflykyle182
Hopeful
Hopeful

Giant Killing on the Cards? (Cardiff Thread)

Post by mcflykyle182 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:31 am

Can Championship side Bolton Wanderers pull off an upset against Premier League Cardiff? A win, then another win, then another win and we're back at Wembley so may as well go for it eh?

But in all seriousness I can see us winning this. 2-1 Bolton.
''Amazing! Out of nothing Bolton are level. A quick throw, Kevin Nolan keeps play alive in the box and finds Kevin Davies on the left who lashes a shot under Oliver Kahn.''

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Re: Giant Killing on the Cards? (Cardiff Thread)

Post by jaffka » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:37 am

I think this depends on how serious Cardiff will take the game.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:39 am

Wem-ber-leeem, wem-ber-leeeeeee......

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:50 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Wem-ber-leeem, wem-ber-leeeeeee......

I was reminded of Wembley last Saturday at Reading.

I fear for us......... :cry:

Which means we'll probably scab through.

bobby
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by bobby » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:57 am

Not a chance in hell of winning this one. On the back of recent performances I can't see how we'll be able to compete with a side who performed well against an incredibly strong City side at the weekend, not to mention the fact that OGS would love to win some silverware this year. Wish I could be more positive, but with the current lot I just can't.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:03 am

bobby wrote:Not a chance in hell of winning this one. On the back of recent performances I can't see how we'll be able to compete with a side who performed well against an incredibly strong City side at the weekend, not to mention the fact that OGS would love to win some silverware this year. Wish I could be more positive, but with the current lot I just can't.
It's hard to be. They are pretty poor as well though. Let's hope Mason plays against us like he did for us.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:11 am

bobby wrote:Not a chance in hell of winning this one. On the back of recent performances I can't see how we'll be able to compete with a side who performed well against an incredibly strong City side at the weekend, not to mention the fact that OGS would love to win some silverware this year. Wish I could be more positive, but with the current lot I just can't.

aye - but most of us didn't want OGS to be OUR manager - so he can't be THAT good...

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:27 am

thebish wrote:

aye - but most of us didn't want OGS to be OUR manager - so he can't be THAT good...
We didn't want him because he was tainted is why.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:53 am

Despite the immense drag factor of Freedman's incompetence, we're going to smash them.

3-1.
Businesswoman of the year.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:15 am

Crackhead. :twisted:
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:18 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:Despite the immense drag factor of Freedman's incompetence, we're going to smash them.

3-1.
Have you ever thought of a career in stand up comedy, Hoss?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:22 pm

Can't see us winning this. But if they rest a few players (what with them being bottom of the Prem) and some of our players turn up, we might give them a game for 10 minutes.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:23 pm

Surely you mean seconds?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:25 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Surely you mean seconds?
I didn't mean consecutively, if that's what you're digging at. :D

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:48 pm

Not sure if I enjoy the "Giant Killing" a la thread title. Not long ago it would be competing on equal terms for the most part and I feel the giant killing is about non-league sides humping the likes of Manu, Chelski et al. OGS will be looking to make a name for himself this early in his Cardiff career and will probably field his strongest team. That said I think DF will be looking more for excuses pre-match to utter post-match than any thoughts of producing a decent playing team. It's pointless us going on a massive cup run to Wembley while looking forward to playing Leyton Orient next term. Mind you I remember our games against Leyton Orient were quite entertaining. Result for Cardiff I'm thinking. About 4-0 or a bit more. 8)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:53 pm

I hope Cardiff put out a proper first team. I think we were embarrassed enough by Reading last week than to get another drubbing against Cardiff's reserves.

mcflykyle182
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by mcflykyle182 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:14 pm

Gravedigger wrote:Not sure if I enjoy the "Giant Killing" a la thread title. Not long ago it would be competing on equal terms for the most part and I feel the giant killing is about non-league sides humping the likes of Manu, Chelski et al. OGS will be looking to make a name for himself this early in his Cardiff career and will probably field his strongest team. That said I think DF will be looking more for excuses pre-match to utter post-match than any thoughts of producing a decent playing team. It's pointless us going on a massive cup run to Wembley while looking forward to playing Leyton Orient next term. Mind you I remember our games against Leyton Orient were quite entertaining. Result for Cardiff I'm thinking. About 4-0 or a bit more. 8)

Tongue in cheek, of course.
''Amazing! Out of nothing Bolton are level. A quick throw, Kevin Nolan keeps play alive in the box and finds Kevin Davies on the left who lashes a shot under Oliver Kahn.''

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:41 pm

They've got a proper job on, Cardiff. Arguably playing above themselves under Mackay. Scoreline at City wasn't bad considering they had 6 touches in the opposition box and the hosts had 55. Obviously we're in no position to compare ourselves to either club but let's not get carried away, they'll be fearing this match, albeit more for its potential than its probability. OGS is still checking out his squad - for instance, playing McNaughton at left-back without any covering left-winger at all - so who knows what side he'll put out. Experimental? Ask him now and he'd exchange cup defeat for survival.

Similarly, Freedman could make as many changes as he likes, what with it being the FA Cup and us just having been butt-f*cked by Reading. The only constraint is having men available. Bogdan could be in as the modish "cup keeper" (then keep his place for the league anyway. He might try Hayden White at right-back, what with OGS apparently repeating Mackay's lopsided no-left-wing formation. He could use that opportunity to try Baptiste in the middle - yes, he said he'd not do that, but he's said a lot of things he's gone back on. But then that switch relies on having a left-back, which Ream ain't. Building from the middle, I'd seriously consider the reuniting of Mills and Ream as enough reason to try the kid at right-back and Bap out left.

Medo in for Spearing? Go on then, but Mark Davies alongside him for the increased passing options. Ahead of them, Danns and Moritz, fo'sho'. Possibly Eagles the other side. Then see if Craig Davies can stand up for an hour.

That'd be six changes, to satisfy the bloodlust, with a decent team that should be doing FAR BETTER than we are.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:51 pm

Whoever Dougie puts out nobody will know whether it's the reserve side or not.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:56 pm

I think we'll win this one.......