Underperforming Players?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Underperforming Players?

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:26 am

You wouldn't be if you didn't know where you were.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:30 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:
Its too easy to slur players that way, with a general broad brush approach.

If we're speculating on who it is, perhaps its the players Dougie has brought in and then doesn't play? Or the ones he continues to pick despite several very public condemnations? After all, if it is Mears, then how in the hell would that effect our performances this season? He hasn't bloody well played.

Otherwise, its just too easy a get out from addressing real problems.
These are two players in the squad openly admitting it though. Which is relatively unusual and telling perhaps of some of the behind the scenes problems.

It could very well be that is one of those "real problems" your're talking about.
Again, if its Mears, how in the world of f*ck is he making us put in performances like saturday? Or the rest of this bloody awful season? How many games did he play in our worst start for a century?

He must have balls of steel and an iron will to be able to. Which if you think about, is exactly the qualities we're missing.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:36 am

Lord Kangana wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:

If we're speculating on who it is, perhaps its the players Dougie has brought in and then doesn't play? Or the ones he continues to pick despite several very public condemnations? After all, if it is Mears, then how in the hell would that effect our performances this season? He hasn't bloody well played.

These are two players in the squad openly admitting it though. Which is relatively unusual and telling perhaps of some of the behind the scenes problems.

It could very well be that is one of those "real problems" your're talking about.
Again, if its Mears, how in the world of f*ck is he making us put in performances like saturday? Or the rest of this bloody awful season? How many games did he play in our worst start for a century?

He must have balls of steel and an iron will to be able to. Which if you think about, is exactly the qualities we're missing.
Woah there. Big jump from two first team squad members openly admitting there are some "rebellious players in the squad" at a fans Q&A to "it's Mears so it doesn't matter anyways".

Like a massive jump.

borgetti_wanderers
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by borgetti_wanderers » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:42 am

IMO the most important partnership on the pitch is your two centre backs. Playing Ream & Mills together I thought worked, we were able to absorb pressure for large periods such as Watford away and grab the win. Obviously having McNaughton helped. But I feel Freedman made an error in moving Ream to LB because, well.. he isnt one. His passing is good, his crossing is poor. He has just enough pace for a CB but not for a LB especially against wingers such as McCleary. Personally i'd like to see Mills/Ream at centre back together every week and maybe even give the young full backs a go.

Also talking about under performing players I really do feel that Spearing needs a week or two on the bench & give Mido a go.. same with CYL & give Hall a go. I think the issue is that some players know that if they under perform they'll still play the week after. Look at Lonergan (forget about Reading) he knows if he has a stinker then Bogdan will play but it seems to be a different story with the outfield players.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:44 am

The treatment of Mears, especially since we are struggling with fullbacks is very strange though.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:52 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:

Woah there. Big jump from two first team squad members openly admitting there are some "rebellious players in the squad" at a fans Q&A to "it's Mears so it doesn't matter anyways".

Like a massive jump.
Indeed.

So perhaps it includes players that Dougie has signed then?

In which case, he's as much to blame as anyone.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:57 am

Lord Kangana wrote:
Indeed.

You know, not everything that is discussed about Bolton Wanderers has to be directly related to "is the manager to blame or is it actually the manager"......

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:59 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:
Indeed.

You know, not everything that is discussed about Bolton Wanderers has to be directly related to "is the manager to blame or is it actually the manager"......
au contraire - I think you'll find them's the rules nowadays! :wink:

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:59 am

Give over.

Its yet another bloody brilliant excuse if its being insinuated that its players that he has nowt to do with that are causing disruption.
Last edited by Lord Kangana on Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:
Indeed.

How many topics did you open about coyle?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:23 pm

jaffka wrote:The treatment of Mears, especially since we are struggling with fullbacks is very strange though.
Yes, 'not my idea of a full-back' doesn't cut it when you consider he played most of the games when fit last season.
He appears to have been scapegoated for the Blackburn thrashing, which was the last time we saw him.
Except it's happened again but worse, so who can Dougie blame this time? Oh yes, 'the nucleus'. If he's not going on about DNA he's on about nucleii, no wonder they are confused. Maybe Mears is dropped because he failed his Biology GCSE?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:29 pm

If there are disruptive/rebellious players then the simple thing to do is get them very far away from the first team. If you can't get rid then I believe the under 18s would be far enough. If he's still including them in the first team squad then he is exacerbating the problem. If they aren't I struggle to see why they would be causing as much disruption as they seem to. It's quite puzzling.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:33 pm

jaffka wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:
Indeed.

How many topics did you open about coyle?
Aye - and when it was suggested that perhaps the players were to blame, all hell broke loose.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:22 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:If there are disruptive/rebellious players then the simple thing to do is get them very far away from the first team. If you can't get rid then I believe the under 18s would be far enough. If he's still including them in the first team squad then he is exacerbating the problem. If they aren't I struggle to see why they would be causing as much disruption as they seem to. It's quite puzzling.
Indeed - Mears has already been thusly isolated, so either do the same with other players or shut up about it.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:36 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:If there are disruptive/rebellious players then the simple thing to do is get them very far away from the first team. If you can't get rid then I believe the under 18s would be far enough. If he's still including them in the first team squad then he is exacerbating the problem. If they aren't I struggle to see why they would be causing as much disruption as they seem to. It's quite puzzling.
Indeed - Mears has already been thusly isolated, so either do the same with other players or shut up about it.
to attempt to be slightly fair, though - it wasn't dougie going on about it - it was a couple of the players... they don't have the authority to remove disruptives from the first team setup...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:38 pm

thebish wrote:
to attempt to be slightly fair, though - it wasn't dougie going on about it - it was a couple of the players... they don't have the authority to remove disruptives from the first team setup...
True, in this instance, but that's merely corroborating things at which the manager has hinted before.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:44 pm

thebish wrote:
True, in this instance, but that's merely corroborating things at which the manager has hinted before.
you're probably right - but I can't remember what he has actually said on the matter - and like with the whole loanee-stuff - I am now finding it more and more difficult to know what dougie has actually said on the matter and what people claim he has said...

here's an idea for an eager young pup with too much time on his hands... how about a thread where all off the stuff dougie actually says (the actual quotes) are kept for posterity - occasionally grouped into themes - so that we would end up with a properly indexed library we could refer to?

maybe a project to be started when the next manager arrives! :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:50 pm

A very good idea - with links to published sources.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:00 pm

thebish wrote:
If these disruptives are not in the 1st team picture and few in number, how the hell can they affect the team - are they hiding the practice balls or making loud noises when he talks tactics or summat.

Repeating a Dougie Quote TM that was taken from the unreliable Bolton News last Thursday ( I assume we are alright using his quotes now, he said the following
“You have got to believe in yourself, you have got to believe in the style of play, you have got to believe in your training and you have got to make sure the players believe in you.

My guess is that the disruptives are simply the players who openly don't believe in him. Makes the club sound like a cult, and makes you wonder how many of the non believers there are to have the impact they are having :shock:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:42 pm

cult? it doesn't really sound that extreme to me... I guess you see what you want to see, though...